Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if Williams, Edwards, and DJ are gone at #7?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tongtonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: What if Williams, Edwards, and DJ are gone at #7? Reply with quote

Who do we take then?

TONGTONK
golf333333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cry and then proceed to take Shawn Merriman
BigRich3113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade down a few Spots pick up and extra pick and get Shawn Merriman.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be that big of deal. Take Mark Clayton at number 18 and round out your recieving core.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the #7 pick though????
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade down and grab Merriman. Put him at outside backer or one of your d-ends. Check out my post in 'Cottrel- We are not done yet.' and you will see where I am getting at.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf333333 wrote:
We cry and then proceed to take Shawn Merriman

Yup...I've thought you guys were gonna take Merriman all along anyways, as I never expected Williams or Edwards or DJ to last to #7...but don't think you can trade down and get Merriman, he's a top ten and the #1 DE...just stay at #7 and take him, add WR at #18

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as aggressive as the vikes' front office has been this offseason, i expect them to trade extra players and draft choices and move up in line. to make sure they get the guy they want first. they're not going to leave it to chance.

could be a great draft to watch teams maneuver for the first 15-18 places this year.
missingmoss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all 3 are gone then one of the RBs is left. Cedric Benson would be fine with me.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you stupid? You have Bennet, Smith, and Moore. All could be starters in the league, and Smith could be elite. The Vikes keep jumping around and starting different backs and can never get set on just one. They need to start Onterrio Smith.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take cedric benson and trade away micheal bennet
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what would you do with Smith? Tice would be switching starters all season if he had Benson and Smith. Hell, Tice would switch around Benson and Clarett if he had them both. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no shot at all that we draft Benson, Moore and Smith have so much upside it isnt funny, we just need to figure out how to run the ball with our passing attack....something thats hard to do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good scenario . . . except for all those saying to take a RB. Christ, it was injuries to the OL that held our ground game down coupled with the fact we had to throw to stay in shootouts because of our D. If all we had was Bennett, Moore and Mo, we'd be just fine at RB. Smith is a luxury, but also a risk. As for the #7 pick, let's see where the DEs and safeties stack up. Maybe one of them will climb the charts.

Williamson might be a reach there, but if no one wants to trade up it should be either him, Merriman or Davis. Then again, maybe we take the best OT off the board. I hope one of the big three are still on the board then we don't have to worry about this.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we take an OT in the first round? Even with BPA, none of the OT's would be worth the #7 pick. We're getting Rosenthall back (who signed a contract extension last year), and we have McKinnie, who is a #7 overall pick himself, and under contract for 2 or 3 more years. Behind them, we have Nat Dorsey who may have been a 1st rounder if he had stayed in school. Guard is the only need on the line, and that's not a major one. If Edwards, Williams, and Johnson are gone, then the draft probably looks something like this:

SF Aaron Rogers
Miami Ronnie Brown
Cleveland Derrick Johnson
Chicago Braylon Edwards
Tampa Bay Cadillac Williams
Washington (from TN) Mike Williams

That leaves the Vikings with Antrell Rolle, Shawne Merriman, Dan Cody (underrated), Erasmus James, Pac Man Jones, Cedric Benson, Erasmus James, Marcus Spears, and Thomas Davis (Probably not after his effort at the combine) as the players that would merit that pick. Considering AZ drafts after us, I think Carolina might be willing to part with a pick or two to move up for Benson. I think that would be about the best possible scenario for a trade (trading down any farther than that for a 1st rounder without a starter or #1 next year would be a bad move).

The next part would shake out something like so:

Panthers Cedric Benson
Cardinals Antrell Rolle
Tennessee Pac Man Jones
Detroit Erasmus James
Cowboys Shawne Merriman
San Diego Marcus Spears
Texans Alex Baron
VIKINGS Troy Williamson/Thomas Davis/Dan Cody/Channing Crowder/Carlos Rogers/Travis Johnson

I think they'd take a flyer on Williamson. That would give them they're "replacement" for Moss. Then it might go something like this:

Chiefs Carlos Rogers
Saints Thomas Davis
Bengals Travis Johnson
VIKINGS Dan Cody/Crowder/Demarcus Ware/David Pollack/Justin Tuck/Daryl Blackstock/Kevin Burnett

I think Crowder would be the pick, he would allow the Vikings to move EJ to an outside position, where his athleticism can make up for his lack of Know-How. I also wouldn't rule out Dan Cody, he could play both end and OLB. He may be small for an end, and slow for a LB, but his production can't be taken lightly. He's got a motor, and terrorizes QB's.

Okay, if they don't trade #7, I think they reach a itsy bitsy bit and take Merriman.

PS I know I only factored in the two trades, but we can't possibly predict all the wheeling and dealing that will be done on draft day. I'm sure someone will trade up to the top 18 to grab Alex Smith, so the Vikings could be in a position to pick up even more picks since their 2nd pick comes before the Cowboys' and Chargers'. Alas, that's for another day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: