You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kirk Morrison question.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Kirk Morrison question..... Reply with quote

Just curious as to everyone's opinion on Kirk Morrison. He was a stud of a rookie last season as we all saw. I am just wondering if anyone thinks he could become a star in the league? I can see him being a productive tackle machine year in and year out and never getting in love because he is not a game changer. Anyone see this guy being in the mold of some of the great LB's??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've said before, I'm completely against people playing out of position, like Morrison did last year. And I'm kinda worried about teams exploiting his lack of speed (lack of speed for an OUTSIDE linebacker) this year. Basically, I think he'll have a down year by comparison to last year. But, in a year or two, Clark will be too expensive to keep, or he won't be performing up to his contract, and he'll be released, and Morrison will move to the middle where he belongs. THEN, he'll be a BEAST.
kjherrm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Morrison a lot, I don't think he is a great athlete or even a great LB but he has a nose for the ball and always seemed to be around the tackle. I don't think he'll ever be considered great until the Raiders D becomes great. I love him in there and think he will probably become a leader on D once he matures more.

His biggest knock is that he is terrible in pass coverage, but hopefully he can become more fluid in his drops as he progresses.
sundancejoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjherrm wrote:
I like Morrison a lot, I don't think he is a great athlete or even a great LB but he has a nose for the ball and always seemed to be around the tackle. I don't think he'll ever be considered great until the Raiders D becomes great. I love him in there and think he will probably become a leader on D once he matures more.

His biggest knock is that he is terrible in pass coverage, but hopefully he can become more fluid in his drops as he progresses.

I think that we will play to his strengths more. Meaning I think the draftings of Howard and Bing signal that in the future (post Danny Clark when Morrison moves to the middle) Morrison will likely stay in the box and concentrate on the run while Howard and Bing can use their speed to cover. Our D doesn't really cater to playing the MLB in coverage alot as we don't run the cover 2 Buc or anything near to it.
kjherrm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping we do too. I just used to cringe every time Morrison and Clark were in there and someone would drop back for a pass. I think the future trio of Bing, Morrison, and Howard will be really tough, but that will all depend on if Bing and Howard develop like they should.
sundancejoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjherrm wrote:
I'm hoping we do too. I just used to cringe every time Morrison and Clark were in there and someone would drop back for a pass. I think the future trio of Bing, Morrison, and Howard will be really tough, but that will all depend on if Bing and Howard develop like they should.

What was worse was watching Irons drop into a zone or the often repeated, Tyler Brayton playing Nickel. Mad
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Morrison becoming a bona fide star. His talents will be lost behind the thought of him being a Raider in the public mind. The reason is, he's not flashy and doesn't do anything exciting on the field, other than his job. He'll be a star to Raider Nation, but not so much to outsiders.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's Greg Biekert II.
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrison was a potential candidate for rookie of the year, I remember watching and reading how people exclaimed that the raiders have several bright stars on d morrison, washington, and schweigert. I think it would be ridiculous for us to expect him to have patented tackle celebration in his rookie year. He played better then D Johnson last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthDavis wrote:
Morrison was a potential candidate for rookie of the year, I remember watching and reading how people exclaimed that the raiders have several bright stars on d morrison, washington, and schweigert. I think it would be ridiculous for us to expect him to have patented tackle celebration in his rookie year. He played better then D Johnson last year.

I'd love to see Morrison start playing with some swagger the way Burgess does. I think the Oakland Raider defense is becoming my favorite aspect of any pro sports team. I can't wait to watch them play, I have high hopes for our young guys. I'm looking for the defense to move as a unit and swarm on every tackle which Morrison will be a big part of. I think they'll start to play like a team because the defense' chemistry is fairly strong coming off of last year. I think Shell will only help that.

I'm almost glad we didn't get Derrick Johnson although he's on his way to being a solid LB as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrison played out of position? Cringing when he and Clark dropped back to pass? Wow, long off-season, huh fellas?

Morrison was a rookie last year and was one of the top rookie LBers in the NFL. Learning a new scheme, adjusting to the speed of the NFL, having to make the necessary reads...and more importantly having to make-up for the weak links (albeit out of position d-lineman) that were the weak-side linebackers in Brayton and Irons. Braytong and Irons were the worst LBers in all the NFL and were severely out of position. Don't dismiss this fact to easily. That Morrison and Clark had to make up a lot of ground on several plays because of Brayton and Irons, and let's not forget the woeful carousal that was the strong-safety position last season, shows that they're actually underrated.

Think about it. On almost every play Brayton/Irons were either bothcing up a read, providing atrocious coverage, couldn't get to the ball-carrier in time, and were severely outclassed by their counterparts. The only positive thing one could say about Brayton and Irons is that they were solid at the point of attack, but that was quickly nullified with all the other negatives they brought tot he table. Sadly, they were probably the two worst LBers in the NFL the last two season and probably two of the worst of all-time...but I blame Ryan for that, not them.

Morrison is quicker than most of you give him credit for and will only improve. Clark is no gazelle, but he's faster than Beikert was and solid at the point of attack. Morrison and Clark are set at LBer and I'm not worried about them the least bit (crossing my fingers that Morrison doesn't have that sophmore slump spheel happen to him).

I'm just hoping that Sam Williams or Thomas Howard can help out on the defense, but after having to deal with Brayton/Irons anything they do will be a sight for very sore eyes.
Juan00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oaktownOG wrote:
DarthDavis wrote:

I'd love to see Morrison start playing with some swagger the way Burgess does.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Burgess as playing with swagger. He hustles a lot more than I though he would, he turned out to be a solid run-stopper, and was simply tenacious. Playing with swagger is definately not in Morrison's character either and probably never will be. And that's okay, as Sapp and Fabian Washington have plenty of swagger that will show itself on the defensive side of the ball.
Alzado77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdawg wrote:
Like I've said before, I'm completely against people playing out of position, like Morrison did last year. And I'm kinda worried about teams exploiting his lack of speed (lack of speed for an OUTSIDE linebacker) this year. Basically, I think he'll have a down year by comparison to last year. But, in a year or two, Clark will be too expensive to keep, or he won't be performing up to his contract, and he'll be released, and Morrison will move to the middle where he belongs. THEN, he'll be a BEAST.

According to this article he will still be playing OLB in 06. Who knows? I do agree that he would be a better MLB with Sam Williams and Thomas Howard at OLB.

-- Sam Williams Expected to Start --
Sat Jul 8, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

TSN reports Oakland Raiders oft-injured OLB Sam Williams is expected to start opposite OLB Kirk Morrison. Williams finally is healthy and has the edge in experience, but he will have to hold off charges from rookies Thomas Howard and Darnell Bing.
Alzado77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share this........I heard part of an interview with Darnell Bing last week and he said that the first thing the Raiders have asked him to do is consentrate on covering Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Todd Heap and the Davis with the 49ers because we play against all these guys this year. I guess that may be his role on defense this year.
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alzado77 wrote:
Just thought I'd share this........I heard part of an interview with Darnell Bing last week and he said that the first thing the Raiders have asked him to do is consentrate on covering Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Todd Heap and the Davis with the 49ers because we play against all these guys this year. I guess that may be his role on defense this year.

Bing's physical and will be fast for a linebacker so that type of role makes perfect sense. I like it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: