Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 1st overall selection in the 2005 draft..........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauRICE 80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Brightside wrote:
You know, the more I look at the people availible in this draft, the more I wish Roethlisburger had waited a year to come out. Damn him.

Why? Do you think Big Ben can run the WCO better than Rodgers thats been running for his whole college career Question
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Tedford doesn't run the West Coast Offense.
Mr. Brightside

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add on to what CrackLaden said, which is true by the way, you must truly be delusional if you think that Rodgers is atleast equal in terms of talent with Roethlisburger. You don't think that by the way, do you?
olinono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CL, Jeff Tedford does run a version of the West Coast offense. Goes to show that you haven't even seen Rodgers or Cal play. If he does get drafted by the Niners, he will be coming into an offense that he already knows (from SI.com):

Quote:
Rodgers may possess the stronger arm and played in Cal's West Coast offense where he was tutored by coach Jeff Tedford, who has helped develop quarterbacks such as Trent Dilfer and Kyle Boller.

Maybe the fact that those other QBs that Jeff Tedford tutored didn't do so well was because they aren't in a West Coast offense with their current team. Rodgers will be coming into a situation that is perfect for a young QB, no pressure to win this year as well as having an experienced QB to learn from.

If the Niners draft Rodgers, I have a feeling that fans will be complaining about him like Eagle fans did when McNabb was drafted. And look at those Eagle fans now...

Another quote from USAtoday.com:

Quote:
California quarterback Aaron Rodgers has a chance to be one of the first three players picked in April's draft. His knowledge and skill of the West Coast offense makes him an attractive pick.

Get your facts straight guys...
Erickson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Rodgers as nothing but another Tedford product. Just like Harrington & Smith to name a few.
mauRICE 80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erickson wrote:
I see Rodgers as nothing but another Tedford product. Just like Harrington & Smith to name a few.

Harrington played for Oregon and I don't know which Smith your talking about
mauRICE 80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Brightside wrote:
To add on to what CrackLaden said, which is true by the way, you must truly be delusional if you think that Rodgers is atleast equal in terms of talent with Roethlisburger. You don't think that by the way, do you?

I didn't stutter when I wrote it did I. I never said Tedford ran the west coast offense but obvisily Rodgers would be a stud at it. I don't know if you guys have watched any games how Rodgers is excellent at the dump pass and against zone coverages. Rodgers picks apart D's where there in zone and thats the defense used most of the time when teams play the WCO. So yes, I think Rodgers would be better for the niners than Big Ben for the reasons above.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...Jeff Tedford runs a one-read offense where the QB doesn't have the responsibility to make the decisions...Tedford does all that from the sidelines. The WCO is offense is many things, and chief among them is multiple reads. Goes to show I haven't seen Rodgers or Cal play? Very Happy

One man's opinion vvvvvv

This is from Sporting News' Dan Pompei:

Quote:
When Jeff Tedford has sent his quarterback chicks out from his nest, they haven't exactly soared like eagles. There is only one Pro Bowl appearance among them.

Tedford's latest fledgling is Cal quarterback Aaron Rodgers, potentially the first pick in the draft. To evaluate Rodgers, NFL scouts have to consider the other quarterbacks Tedford has coached and wonder if Rodgers isn't a letdown waiting to happen.

"I would never get scared off by something like that," one AFC general manager says. "You have to evaluate the player based on the talent. But certainly you have to be aware of the history and go the extra mile to make sure you feel good about the player."

It's not as if Tedford is running a shell game on NFL teams. The Cal coach isn't deceiving anyone as much as he is coaching quarterbacks better at his level than NFL teams are coaching quarterbacks at their levels.

Tedford's quarterbacks at Fresno State, Oregon and Cal have been extensions of him because he does the work for the player. He's one of those coaches who puts in 18-hour days and sleeps in his office three or four nights a week. "He does the thinking for the quarterback ahead of time, so all the quarterback has to do is carry out the plan," an NFC general manager says. "He narrows the quarterback's options, so all he has to do is throw the ball to the right spot."

Tedford's offense is quarterback-friendly like McDonald's is kid-friendly. His quarterbacks aren't asked to try anything ambitious. The system makes it easy for Rodgers to find an open receiver quickly. Tedford also is one of the best technique coaches around. Notice how Rodgers holds the ball up around the Cal decal on his helmet -- a Tedford trademark.

The problem is quarterbacks often regress on fundamentals after they are separated from Tedford. It happened with Kyle Boller after he became a Raven.

So the onus is on the talent evaluator to look past the system and see the player, which is as challenging as looking past the fat and seeing the muscle.

This is not unlike what Steve Spurrier did at Florida for so many years. He won consistently with explosive passing games but never produced a standout NFL quarterback. Tedford, however, has had better quarterback lumber than Spurrier. Even Billy Volek, another Tedford product, has been a quality NFL backup for the Titans after entering the league as an undrafted free agent.

There isn't a lot we can say about Rodgers definitively except he throws a nice short pass. But nice short passes are not worth $19 million, which the first pick in the draft expects to get in guaranteed bonuses.

His accuracy is a little spotty on those rare occasions when he attempts the difficult throw. Rodgers is a good caretaker quarterback who doesn't often make the Homer Simpson play -- dohhh! He's tough enough, has enough arm strength and enough mobility. But he isn't spectacular in any area. His instincts and ability to gauge pressure and see the field are questionable.

Rodgers can be a winning NFL quarterback in the right situation, but there is not enough evidence to proclaim him a franchise player. If he were graded strictly on ability and his position were not a factor, he'd be considered a second-round talent.

You can have Rodgers if you want him. Me, I'll take Tedford

Slow your roll folks...it's all conjecture.
mauRICE 80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already read that article. It does not mean anything to me cuz i've heard Tedford himselft say Rodgers is the best Qb he has coached. And like the article says above one of his players has made the pro bowl so I don't see why the best Qb he has ever coached couldln't do the same.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the best QB he's ever coached is probably David Carr. Tedford's simply doing the right thing and saying positive things about Rodgers, as Smith's people are about him, as everyone is about everyone. That's why I said at the end of the post that it's all conjecture.
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNorona wrote:
How can you guys say Braylon has good hands?!?! He is soooo inconsistent. Yeah he makes those ESPN highlight catches every now and then but he drops the easy ones that move the chains. Mike Williams on the other hand has rediculous catching ability. Don't you guys remember that rediculous one handed grab he made without even pulling it into his body?!?! Mike Williams, to me, is way better then Braylon. I hear lots of people talk about how he's "slow", but T.O. and Jerry Rice were never burners. Mike Williams makes all the catches and has the built to break tackles and take it to the house.

Edwards is no where near how inconsistant you are making him out to be. his peformances in college are better statistacally then Williams and he didn't have Lienhart throwing to him. He had a rookie throwing to him last season and the season before was a QB that was no where near as good as Lienhart. Williams only ran high 4.5s and low 4.6s so compared to Edwards 4.45s that is slow. Plus Edwards will probably be the next Roy Williams. Rice wasn't a burner but he was faster than Williams and he was the best route runner in the history of the game. Owens about the same speed as rice was Rice's understudy and is one of the strongest and most physical receivers in the game. Williams doesn't have Owen's strength or Rice's route running skills. Edwards is a good route runner and faster than williams and he does make great catches. Williams is still a great receiver but not the best in the draft.
Erickson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauRICE 80 wrote:
Erickson wrote:

I know Harrington played for Oregon along with Aliki Smith. Both of them learned from Tedford. Tedford was at Oregon before Cal. Same with Dilfer & Carr. Both Tedford products, and both avg QB's.
RoyDrilliams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now, they need to pick Aaron Rodgers. Rattay isnt franchise material and they need to start over at that position. The best way to do that, is select a QB with their first round pick. Rodgers has all the potential in the world to succeed. I really hope the 49ers dont play dumb and select somebody other than a QB. Dont get me wrong, taking Edwards Williams or Brown wouldnt be the end of the world. But Barlow deserves a second chance, and they have brandon lloyd and they used their first round pikc last year on rashaun woods. Boston is likely on the way too. The safest pick right now is Aaron Rodgers.
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyDrilliams wrote:
As of right now, they need to pick Aaron Rodgers. Rattay isnt franchise material and they need to start over at that position. The best way to do that, is select a QB with their first round pick. Rodgers has all the potential in the world to succeed. I really hope the 49ers dont play dumb and select somebody other than a QB. Dont get me wrong, taking Edwards Williams or Brown wouldnt be the end of the world. But Barlow deserves a second chance, and they have brandon lloyd and they used their first round pikc last year on rashaun woods. Boston is likely on the way too. The safest pick right now is Aaron Rodgers.

WOW a Cowboy fan with alot of sense that sounded like it came straight from my brain. agreed 100%
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erickson wrote:
mauRICE 80 wrote:
Erickson wrote:

I know Harrington played for Oregon along with Aliki Smith. Both of them learned from Tedford. Tedford was at Oregon before Cal. Same with Dilfer & Carr. Both Tedford products, and both avg QB's.

Oregon not Oregon st. And I would say Carr is not an average QB and is on the verge of being a star.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: