Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Angelo on site for Mike Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, grrr.

I suppose if T.Jones was included in the deal that would be a 2M savings. RW will save 3M or so, and Tucker I think will save 1.6 or something like that. I agree that Alexander would make the Bears a legitimate threat. I just get a little nervous about some of our other missing pieces and finding ways to afford them.

I think we would have to send Jones out to bring anyone in, and still draft a RB at some point. Im also concerned that well take a RB at #4, which I would only consent to for Brown. Im with you on wanting Williams.
Los Osos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No man. Your numbers are way off. If a player is cut or traded before June 1st, their remaining signing bonus counts against this years cap. R-Dub would save 2 mil, but Tucker would cost money (~0.5 mil), and TJ would save only $57,000.
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that a portion of the remaining bonus would be a hit this year and the rest would be the next year (I guess that's for cuts after June 1). If it all hits this year then I am incorrect.

Here's how I thought it worked:
Tucker has 4 years left, so if he's cut after June 1, he will cost 790k (remaining bonuses/4) and the Bears will not be obligated to pay his salary of 1.9M. Next year he would hit the cap for 2.37M (remaining unpaid signing buonus). So he would cost 790k this year (in signing bonuses) and 2.37M next year, but this year's salary would not count against the cap and the net would save 1.9M - 790k = 1.11M (I was kind of guessing at 1.6M).
If Jones were traded, we would not have to pay his salary of 1.8M. So that money could pay another player, whoever it is, even if it costs 57k to do so.
Both RW and Tucker could be cut after June 1 and save 3.05M and 1.9M respectively. In fact, we can assume that these cuts would wait because they will save money to wait. Terrell was cut now because he will not save more against the cap by waiting.

Osos, please take a look at this and correct whatever is wrong. I thought I understood, by I'm not sure if this is right or not. Thanks
Los Osos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize you were using post-June 1st numbers. In that case you are correct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: