You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JA's ability on Draft Day 2002 to present
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmike

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: JA's ability on Draft Day 2002 to present Reply with quote

After watching the Bear Draft this year and reading the discussions there seams to be a wide variety of opinions. Since JA came on before the 2001 season, the first draft that he ran would be 2002. Granted the last 2 draft classes are up in the air.
There are 27 player from Ja's Draft on the roster. You could say that Brown ,Tillman, Briggs, Harris and Vasher are very good football players. out of these players only Harris is a 1st or 2nd round pick. the rest of the players are 3 round or later. Although the roster is one of the youngest in the nfl, the Bears have been very sucessfull in filling many holes with free agents,Tait Miller, Garza, Brown,St,Clair,MussieM,Clark, BJohnson,TJ, Ogun, Hillenmeyer,Boone,Idonije. The obvious is that JA has been decent at best at drafting players. He has been much better at FA.
Midway Monster

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already got a thread that's like this.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66018
NBA- Bulls
mmike

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM, I'd like to get everyone's take on the Draft alone, because that is the Backbone of every team. Everyone knows that 2 or3 drafts in a row sets a team back many years. I've seen JA cover his draft failures by spend Big $$$ on Free agents.
Bear_Down_CA

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears have more starters on their roster that they drafted since 2000 (13) than any other team in the NFC North. IIRC, they're in the top 6 or so in the NFL.
mmike

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear Down, That is a decent conparison. I wonder how the Seahawks.Panthers, Steelers, Colts, Pats compare. these are the best drafting teams, they draft both Off. and Def. playmakers.
O-Gun93

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: JA's ability on Draft Day 2002 to present Reply with quote

mmike wrote:
After watching the Bear Draft this year and reading the discussions there seams to be a wide variety of opinions. Since JA came on before the 2001 season, the first draft that he ran would be 2002. Granted the last 2 draft classes are up in the air.
There are 27 player from Ja's Draft on the roster. You could say that Brown ,Tillman, Briggs, Harris and Vasher are very good football players. out of these players only Harris is a 1st or 2nd round pick. the rest of the players are 3 round or later. Although the roster is one of the youngest in the nfl, the Bears have been very sucessfull in filling many holes with free agents,Tait Miller, Garza, Brown,St,Clair,MussieM,Clark, BJohnson,TJ, Ogun, Hillenmeyer,Boone,Idonije. The obvious is that JA has been decent at best at drafting players. He has been much better at FA.

Actually, Tillman was taken in round 2 after Boss Bailey.

Truthfully, JA, as we all know, has done a decent job in the later rounds on D, but has really failed to unearth any offense. So until he finds some offensive weapons beyond Jones, I don't think he has done enough.
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the following thread on Day 2 of the draft. I'm reposting here because I think it's appropriate to this discussion.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63196&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Let's take a look at all of JA's picks and let time be the judge -

JA's had 35 picks sop far as GM (not counting this yar)
By my ratings, there are:
11 Starters
10 Backups
3 Busts (1st 3 rounds qualify)
14 Picks that are gone (probably out of the league)

Take a look at the picks:

1 29 Marc Colombo T Boston College - BUST
3 72 Roosevelt Williams CB Tuskegee - BUST
3 93 Terrence Metcalf G Mississippi - STARTER
4 104 Alex Brown DE Florida - STARTER
5 140 Bobby Gray SS Louisiana Tech - DEPTH (INJURED)
5 165 Bryan Knight OLB Pittsburgh - GONE
6 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern - DEPTH
6 203 Jamin Elliott WR Delaware - GONE
6 210 Bryan Fletcher TE UCLA - GONE

1 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State - BUST
1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida - STARTER
2 35 Charles Tillman CB Louisiana-Lafayette - STARTER
3 68 Lance Briggs OLB Arizona - STARTER
4 100 Todd Johnson FS Florida - DEPTH
4 116 Ian Scott NT Florida - STARTER
5 139 Bobby Wade WR Arizona - GONE
5 143 Justin Gage WR Missouri - DEPTH ? (Maybe)
5 171 Tron LaFavor DT Florida - GONE
6 191 Joe Odom OLB Purdue - SHOULD BE GONE
6 206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State - GONE
7 261 Bryan Anderson G Pittsburgh - GONE

1 14 Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma - STARTER
2 47 Tank Johnson DT Washington - DEPTH
3 78 Bernard Berrian WR Fresno State - STARTER/DEPTH
4 110 Nathan Vasher CB Texas - STARTER
4 112 Leon Joe OLB Maryland - DEPTH
5 147 Claude Harriott DE Pittsburgh - GONE
5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State - GONE
7 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Miami - GONE (almost)

1 4 Cedric Benson RB Texas - STARTER/DEPTH
2 39 Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma - STARTER/DEPTH
4 106 Kyle Orton QB Purdue - DEPTH
5 140 Airese Currie WR Clemson - DEPTH
6 181 Chris Harris FS Louisiana-Monroe - STARTER
7 220 Rod Wilson LB South Carolina - DEPTH (Maybe - Injured)

That's 60% of his picks that stay on the roster. 21 players in 4 years means that he's getting 5 players per year to stick with the team. Sure, last year's players may be hard to judge already, and anyone can dispute what I'm calling these guys, but the team has been built through the draft, and that's the financially smart way to do it. Let's give it time.
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post bringbackditka, I missed this one the first time around. For as much as we all like to bash JA when given the opportunity we can't ignore the fact that he does better than most GMs in the league with his drafting.

A couple things I would change on the list are:

His career ended because of injury, not because he sucked (well, not REALLY sucked anyways). I feel that he could have been a solid starter if not for the injury bug.

1 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State - BUST
A bust so far, absolutely. But let's see what he does at DT before writing him off. Sometimes a second chance and a new position can be the right medicine. I can hope anyways.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone else realized that we passed on clinton portis to take marc columbo Crying or Very sad
agent50

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has anyone else realized that we passed on clinton portis to take marc columbo

in comparision that makes Columbo a def. bust. sorry
CBB- Illini
NBA- Baby Bulls
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing about Angelo is that he has done quite a good job of getting talent in the latter part of the draft. The strange thing is that he just plain sucks when it comes to the first round. I know a few of you guys have kinda said that already. It is baffling though. He really does do a good job in the later draft rounds. Who else got a 6th round pick in last years draft that started all but 1 game, and played well enough to solidify a starting job with their team? I just don't understand his horrible decision making early on in drafts. I would also say that the first couple of rounds are the most important(obviously) and not doing well in those rounds hurts us a bit more than finding those diamonds in the rough that really help us.
redwing5

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys realize how many people passed on Marino...? Does tht make every othr player bust??? Honestly guys u can look at what other teams did...
#80 Berrian
NKbearsNK

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent50 wrote:
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has anyone else realized that we passed on clinton portis to take marc columbo

in comparision that makes Columbo a def. bust. sorry

Thats a sorry quote. Columbo suffered a horrific knee injury, rehab for a year(which anyone who has suffered a knee injury knows thats not easy) then comes back and busts his a@# to make the team. It did not work out but there is no logical way to call him or any player who had this happen a bust. Be real.
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NKbearsNK wrote:
It did not work out but there is no logical way to call him or any player who had this happen a bust. Be real.

Grrlacher wrote:
His career ended because of injury, not because he sucked (well, not REALLY sucked anyways). I feel that he could have been a solid starter if not for the injury bug.

Guys,
I understand the injury prevented us from seeing whether or not Columbo would have been a great player. The simple criteria I used was:
1. Starter
2. Depth
3. Gone (released, out of football, etc., day 2 pick)
4. Bust (same as Gone but with a Day 1 pick)

To me, a day 1 pick should be a starter or at a minimum a depth chart member. A day 2 pick is more a bonus if they stick with the team.
NKbearsNK

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringbackditka wrote:
NKbearsNK wrote:
It did not work out but there is no logical way to call him or any player who had this happen a bust. Be real.

Grrlacher wrote:

Guys,
I understand the injury prevented us from seeing whether or not Columbo would have been a great player. The simple criteria I used was:
1. Starter
2. Depth
3. Gone (released, out of football, etc., day 2 pick)
4. Bust (same as Gone but with a Day 1 pick)

To me, a day 1 pick should be a starter or at a minimum a depth chart member. A day 2 pick is more a bonus if they stick with the team.

I dont have a problem with your criteria. It's the goofballs that compare the pick with the guys we passed on. Colombo was the #2 tackle in the draft. He was suppose to be a guy to build the line around, and for the first months, he looked like he could develop into that. But to call him a bust because of a freak injury, is crap. Who cares that we passed on Portis or whoever. If he would have been a cornerstone tackle, It would not have been discussed.

I would list him on your criteria as Gone. He was released and is out of football. For this case, make the exception.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: