Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rodgers Vs. Smith
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Brightside

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Rodgers Vs. Smith Reply with quote

Here are two sites I found with highlights of both QB's. Up until this point, the debate between these two have focused on their size, now that Rodgers has been measured at 6'2" at the combine, I think that debate is dead. Now more importantly, for people who live out east like myself, this might be the only clips that we see of the two QB's, so atleast this way we will have something to base our arguements on. Does anyone know where I can find video of Adrian McPherson?

Rodgers:
http://216.73.157.177/Cal/CalStan.html

Smith
http://host82.ipowerweb.com/~wildraid/videos.htm
Montana168

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think rodgers is the better qb as of right now. it will all depend on who does better at the combine or the private workout. although i think that rodgers is the better qb , i dont think we'll take him. the niners will most likely trade down and get a 1st rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year. next years draft is going to hav so much more depth at qb (pending none of them get injured) and im willing to take our chances and wait until next year to get matt leinert or one of the other qbs next year. i dont think that rodgers is good enough to build your entire offense around. although i could be wrong , what do you guys think?
Mr. Brightside

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Rodgers is the better QB right now, but why not do what Bill Walsh (A moment of silence as we ponder his greatness) did with Joe Montana (Another of moment of silence), and Steve Young (Yes, another moment of silence). Let McPherson ride the bench for now, and after two or three years once he has complete understanding of the WCO let's unleash him. It also doesn't really matter who is the better QB right now, Rodgers does have the higher floor, but the ceiling with McPherson is absurd, and since we will suck for at least two years (unless Nolan really is Walsh v2.0), why not follow 49ers tradition and allow our next great QB time to grow in the system before recking havoc on the league. Rattay or someother established veteran (Garcia?) could be the caretaker until then.
nor*cal09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian McPherson is not McNabb , he didnt start at FSU Rix started when they were both Freshman. if you ask me at best I think he is Aaron brooks at worst Akili Smith.

Rodgers on the other hand has potential to be a top NFL QB who at best could be a Steve Young clone at worst Joey Harrington (although his arm and speed are much livelier than Harrington's). he has a high floor and his ceiling is also pretty high considering he has a frame to build on and. The fact is he is a perfect fit for the wco and he will be a pro-bowler in our system.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Rodgers the Steve Young clone? If anyone is more like Young, it's Smith. Rodgers is much more of a pocket passer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because Rodgers didn't run at Cal doesn't mean he cant, his system being more of a pro style offense allowed him to stay in the pocket rather than run but believe me he is every bit the athlete as Smith. not saying he's better because I have no proof but he is more than capable of taking off for the 1st down when neccessary and throws better on the run than Smith does.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These numbers are from another thread, but they're more relevant here anyway. Rodgers is certainly not a stiff. But Smith, athletically, is right up there or better with some of the top WRs and RBs in this draft. The drills these numbers come from are designed to show flexibility, dexterity, cutback ability, etc. rather than straight ahead speed. Smith the athlete is RARE:

20-yard short shuttle
ALEX SMITH 3.96

VS.

20-yard short shuttle (WRs)
Reggie Brown 3.94
Chad Owens 3.94
Courtney Roby 3.94
Rasheed Marshall 3.95
Mark Clayton 4.00
Airese Currie 4.07

VS.

20-yard short shuttle (RBs)
Noah Herron 3.97
Darren Sproles 3.96
Ronnie Brown 4.08
Eric Shelton 4.08
Ryan Moats 4.10
--------------------------------------------
Three-cone
ALEX SMITH 6.82

VS.

Three-cone (WRs)
Courtney Roby 6.60
Chad Owens 6.70
Jamaica Rector 6.78
Rasheed Marshall 6.81
Mark Clayton 6.95

VS.

Three-cone (RBs)
J.J. Arrington 6.81
Carnell Williams 6.91
Noah Herron 6.95
Darren Sproles 6.96
Vernand Morency 7.02

We'll see how his arm grades out, but right now, I don't see any tangible differences in arm strength. They both appear to have solid, not spectacular, accurate arms. Add to that that Smith is 6'4", with the frame to add weight, and the athletic ability, I would much rather have him than Rodgers. Lest we forget: Trent Dilfer.............Akili Smith.............David Carr (jury's still out)...............Joey Harrington (jury's reaching a verdict, and it's not good)...................................no thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Add to that that Smith is 6'4", with the frame to add weight, and the athletic
Quote:

Smith has a very narrow frame not going to add much more weight and still be effectice Rodgers although smaller is more broad and can add about ten pounds.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go and find you another quote that says he can add weight. It's all guessing anyway. I s'pose I can waste the time and go get one, so maybe I'll do that at some point. That said, I'm not even sure you're "info" is real, considering:

Quote:
Smith has a very narrow frame (word missing?) not going to add much more weight and still be (misspelled) effectice Rodgers although smaller is more broad and can add about ten pounds.

But nonetheless, it's all good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lest we forget: Trent Dilfer.............Akili Smith.............David Carr (jury's still out)...............Joey Harrington (jury's reaching a verdict, and it's not good)...................................no thanks.

I don't think its fair to judge Rodgers by the others before him. After watching Rodgers for two years now (yes I am a season ticket holder for Cal), I believe he has the stuff to make it in the NFL especially in a west coast offense. His sophomore year he was amazing with a weaker running attack that really showcased his ability to be a great QB. If he were a senior and did what he did during his sophomore year, there would be more hype (if there isn't enough already) about this guy. This is my opinion so I could care less of what others think. Regardless of who drafts Rodgers, I think he will do really well.

And it does look like Rattay may be the odd man out regardless of who they draft at #1. From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Quote:
The 49ers also have considered bringing in an experience quarterback. They were interested in Trent Dilfer before the Browns dealt a fourth-round choice to Seattle for Dilfer's rights.

Coach Mike Nolan said the organization has discussed other veterans, including Bucs quarterback Brad Johnson, who visited Detroit on Tuesday and plans to go to Chicago today.

One NFL source said if the 49ers sign a veteran quarterback, they likely would trade starter Tim Rattay, take a quarterback in the draft and let Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett fight for the third quarterback slot.

From the looks of things, Nolan is not really high on Rattay and would rather have another QB to play for his team...

CL, what do you think about that? I'm sure you have a bunch to say...
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One NFL source said if the 49ers sign a veteran quarterback, they likely would trade starter Tim Rattay, take a quarterback in the draft and let Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett fight for the third quarterback slot.
[/quote]

From the looks of things, Nolan is not really high on Rattay and would rather have another QB to play for his team...

CL, what do you think about that? I'm sure you have a bunch to say...[/quote]

One word:Walsh. Did BW ever let anyone know exactly what he was up to? No. Do you think Nolan is naive enough to spell everything out for everyone? No. He's been doing a lot of double-talk. He has mentioned many possible picks on both O and D. The fact that he is not talking about/to Rattay doesn't mean a heck of a lot until we actually see some action/movement. Don't you fall for his trap as well.
olinono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you guys are SO against the fact that Rattay might not be the starter. All interviews point to Rattay not being the starting QB. Nolan is no Walsh. I can't even imagine why anyone would compare the two. And what does Nolan have to gain by saying that they might not start Rattay next year? Nothing. If you can't believe anything the coach says than that is sad...
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olinono wrote:

And it does look like Rattay may be the odd man out regardless of who they draft at #1. From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Quote:
The 49ers also have considered bringing in an experience quarterback. They were interested in Trent Dilfer before the Browns dealt a fourth-round choice to Seattle for Dilfer's rights.

Coach Mike Nolan said the organization has discussed other veterans, including Bucs quarterback Brad Johnson, who visited Detroit on Tuesday and plans to go to Chicago today.

CL, what do you think about that? I'm sure you have a bunch to say...

I don't have much to say, other than you happened to miss a small paragraph in that article:

Quote:

"Right now, Rattay would be the quarterback, I would think," Nolan said when asked if Rattay was still the starter. "But there will be competition no matter how you look at it."

So let's not get in over our heads...there's a ways to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow we better not bring in a warn out vet qb like brad johnson. we're building a team for the future, we dont need a quick fix vet comin in. i would much rather see rattay or dorsey or even pickett on the field rather than some old vet.
MNorona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are overrated but rodgers is better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: