Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Thomas Jones the answer at TB??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Is Thomas Jones the answer at TB?? Reply with quote

The Colts are definately shopping Edgerrin James... who at 26 has lots of football left in him. I say package up TJ and a couple draft picks, make the trade and take on James' 8-9mil a year contract, we have the cap room and this gives us 4-5 pro bowlers on offensive ball walking into this season. What ya think about that Wink
DABEARS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamin.......madden trade..........funny
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play madden... I'm talkin about our second round pick this year, and next year's first round... tell me that ain't worth having him in the Bears backfield.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why trade away a really good RB? James has slowed down since his knee injury, he needs a great o-line in front of him to open up holes, (the colts have a hell of a line), sorry to say this guys but our o-line isnt as good as the colts. No way they should do that.

On a more serious note though, frankly I will be extremely upset if the bears take a RB w/the #4 pick. It would be nice to add another RB, just not with the 1st round, not when Williams/Edwards are their for the taking. I believe we need another WR, just think of the O this yr with Moose, and Edwards/Williams, T. Jones, and Rex on that side of the ball. I think the o-line is good enough for them to succeed, they arent an elite line, but they are a solid line. Then take a RB in the 2nd round, people have been sayin Fason, which I think is a solid pick. I just dont think it's fair to write T. Jones off after last yr's dismal year for the offense. None of what happened last yr was his fault, He was a hell of a RB when Rex was in, but the def. stacked the box against him when they found out that Quinn couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, and the O never recovered because Krenzel was a rookie, and Hutch didnt have enough time to learn the offense like a QB should. I like taking a WR 1st, and a RB 2nd. I dont like the thought of trading down either, I dont see Williams/Edwards falling if we were to trade down (unless we trade to the viks, and I dont see that happening because they are a division foe, and why would they trade up 3 spots?). The bears will get at least 1 compensatory draft pick, depending on what round that draft pick is for, it could be possible to package that pick w/another one and get a 3rd round draft pick, which would aleviate the loss of the 3rd rounder on the "booker-Ogun trade". But back to the draft.... I would prefer the 1st four picks to be like this:

1st PICK-WR
2nd PICK-RB
3rd PICK-LB/K (best available)
4th PICK-LB/K (which ever one wasnt selected the pick before)

Then all the other picks should be dedicated to depth (not necessarily special teams because our teams unit is pretty solid), but depth.

"You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they donít play together, the club wonít be worth a dime."--Babe Ruth
taylor36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to NFL.com,

James' new agent Drew Rosenhaus said the Indianapolis Colts were not demanding a first-round draft pick in exchange for the former two-time NFL rushing champion.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/IND/8273239

Maybe you could trade your second round pick + an average defensive player(they need a lot of d) for him
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a Peyton-less Edge. He's good, but the Bears don't want him.

Jack - you're right
Thomas Jones suffereed from the exact thing that got Anthony Thomas shipped out of Chicago: 8 man fronts. AT never had a chance with defenses sitting on run. I'm with you on WR/RB. I'd prefer Edwards right now. Fason, Gore, etc.
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James is in my opinion no better then a 3.5 YPC running back on any other team, its easy to look good on a team that passes for 400 YPG and scares the hell out of every D in the NFL.
If you really look at him he is slow and doesnt make many people miss anymore, the one thing that he does is gets every yard out of every carry but IMO so do ALOT of other running backs, and they do it just as well.
There is a reason they are trying to shop him, he is just an ok running back in a system that I honestly believe I could run for 1000 yards in.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.PAYTONS#1FAN - I agree with ya... but I wanted to bring this subject up and see what you all thought. Edge is not a great back, he is a good back in a great offense. I consider him much like Faulk you was also a good back in a great system. I am actually very pleased with TJ at RB for us... he great quickness and runs hard, although he lacks break away speed. And once we have a passing game that can keep defenses honest I believe he can be a 1,300+ yard back.
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most backs in the nfl dont have break away speed, just enough to run away from defenders, I would say on a one to ten scale for RB's jones would score a 8 for straitline speed tho, he is pretty damn fast.
I think if he is the only back here and we dont have a rotaion 1300+ yards is an afterthrought with our new offense Im looking at 1500+ and about 400 catching the ball.
Were in for one real nice season guys with a rebuilt line and a top 5 WR that blocks, all we have to do is stay healthy!
I have been a Bears fan all my life and Im 30, its been 17 years sinse we have had this much talent on both sides of the ball, if Grossman can have just a good season we will go 11-5 and grow into a force in the NFL eith how long we have everybody signed for.
In closing I would just like to say its a great tinme to be a Bear fan, enojy it guys!
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most backs in the nfl dont have break away speed, just enough to run away from defenders, I would say on a one to ten scale for RB's jones would score a 8 for straitline speed tho, he is pretty damn fast.
I think if he is the only back here and we dont have a rotaion 1300+ yards is an afterthrought with our new offense Im looking at 1500+ and about 400 catching the ball.
Were in for one real nice season guys with a rebuilt line and a top 5 WR that blocks, all we have to do is stay healthy!
I have been a Bears fan all my life and Im 30, its been 17 years sinse we have had this much talent on both sides of the ball, if Grossman can have just a good season we will go 11-5 and grow into a force in the NFL eith how long we have everybody signed for.
In closing I would just like to say its a great tinme to be a Bear fan, enojy it guys!
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryno53

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make no mistake that T-Jones is our #1 back going into this draft. Edge will not. The Bears will NEVER make that trade, mostly because of our current salary cap fix.

The idea that the Bears would draft a running back with #4 is based on the fact that those particular backs are too good to pass up. Make no mistake we still need a RB to back up Jones. However, it is my beleif that this RB will not come until our fourth round pick. I wouldn't doubt if we might swap our second round pick for a third and a fourth, much like we did a couple years ago. Angelo seems to love shoring up on picks and make.

Now some scary thoughts: The only teams with the cap space (as of now)to trade for Edge, pay him, and give him the extension he wants are the Arizona Cardinals and yes, the Minnesota Vikeings. Lets hope the Vikes don't want him.
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the 4 times on the post guys, it said it wasent going thru
delakev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetically, say the Bears had no RB. What kind of price A. Would it take? B. What would you pay?

Thanks so much Scar!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: