Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tim Dwight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rblevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Tim Dwight Reply with quote

Speedy WR Tim Dwight receives interest
By Michael Felger/ Patriots Notebook
Wednesday, March 9, 2005

If an NFL team is looking to get faster and deeper at wide receiver, Tim Dwight seems a good place to start.

The Patriots [stats, news] apparently agree because they had the free agent receiver/returner in for a visit and physical at Gillette Stadium yesterday.

Dwight, a seven-year veteran who was dealt from Atlanta to San Diego in 2001 as part of the Michael Vick trade, saw his offensive production drop sharply the last two years as a collapsed lung slowed him in 2003 (14 catches in nine games) and a toe injury hobbled him in 2004 (two catches in 12 games).

Dwight's healthiest and most productive season came in 2002, when he caught 50 passes while providing a threat as a punt and kickoff returner. Dwight also handled both return duties for the Falcons from 1998-2000.

Dwight may be a contingency plan for Troy Brown [news], whose free agent status remains unresolved. While Dwight is known for his lightning speed, his slight build (5-foot-8, 180 pounds) would make him the smallest receiver on what is already an undersized Pats receiving corps.

rblevens wrote - I would love to have him in NE...

Branch, Givens, Dwight is PERFECT for the slot, Johnson, Sam...DAMN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need him, with Troy gone, we dont have any good punt returners either

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have Ike Hillard or Tai Streets. Troy Brown is a better WR than Dwight and Dwight is a better PR than Brown. I say we shouldn't get him. We need a Draftie (WR) or Tai or Ike.

Jgoldiscool on the sig
andrew91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Tai sooooo much.....and he will probly come cheap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he would and he would give us more production than Patten and Brown combined at the WR position. NOTE: If we do not sign a WR in Free Agency either the Pats are high on Johnson and Sam or they are thinking of Drafting a WR in round 1 or 2.

Jgoldiscool on the sig
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we should sign a FA WR unless we can land Plex. We have two young recivers that need to be given a chance ( Johnson and Sam ) Branch and Givens can carry the load if they need to. They would just catch all the balls... ( others teams do it ) ex PHI..TO and Westbrook.

I could see Deion and David both having 60-70 catch, 1000 yard seasons if we needed it from them.

But yeah, id rather develop our young talent then grabing a prvoen guy right now. I'd be comfortable having. Branch, Givens, Johnson, Watson and Sam in our 5WR set. Theres a couple big men that would be in the slot on that formation. If got no complaints with that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before, I really like PK Sam. I think we should make it top priority to devlope him. Deion should get a 1000 yards, and David might too, but we still need a Patent. Sam might be that guy.
Seroiusly...if Bill can call the plays right next year, this is possible
Tom Brady:4300 yards, 40 TD
Corey Dillon:1200 yards, 5 td's
Deion:1300, 4 TD's
David: 1200, 11 TD's
X WR: 800, 8 TD's
I know we are capabl of that, Brady is due for a big stat year soon...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont throw the ball for Brady or the receivers to put up anywhere near those numbers.

The thing about signing or drafting a WR isnt about getting someone to push Givens or Branch. Its someone to replace them if need be. Are any of you comfortable with PK Sam or Bethel Johnson starting if Branch or Givens go down, which has happened every year they've been in the league? I certainly am not.

The Pats need another receiving target.

With that said, the Pats have signed Tim Dwight to a one year deal. Whatever - nice special teams signing, but he doesn't do much for me as a receiver.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight has a team first attitude, is a superb athlete, and extremely fast. This is a great signing for the Pats. I even think that he could catch 20+ passes next year! He was an effective slot receiver in San Diego, and will team with Bethel to form the most feared KR tandem in the league. Also, he can take David Patten's role as the guy who Brady hands off to on a reverse and then he throws a bomb down the field for a TD. He can throw a ball 60 yards!

Anyway, to wrap it up, great signing for the Pats.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
RD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont consider 20 catches from a wide receiver having any impact on the offense.

He'll bring talent as a return man, but as a receiver, he's a 4th guy at best. We need a dependable #3 and guy to step up in case someone is hurt. Thats not Dwight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: