Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If we trade down to 8-15 we should take...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delakev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: If we trade down to 8-15 we should take... Reply with quote

In my hypothetical situation lets just assume that we pick up the other teams' 2 first rounders (Vikings, Chargers, Cowboys) or we pick up their first round and second round this year, (and perhaps a pick next year). Everyone who thinks we should trade down has been naming Heath Miller. I do not think that is a bad idea, but what about Thomas Davis. He is projected OLB/SS. Do we think he would play FS for one? Plus this way we can pick up our RB/WR/G in later in round 1 or 2.

Thanks so much Scar!!
DABEARS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have bigger needs on O to pick a slow safety or an undersized OLB when we need a big one who could shed blocks. adding Moose on O is not going to change everything - we need more help.
payton34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: If ronnie brown or dj goes......... Reply with quote

We need to trade out nobody else is worth that high of a pick. Williams cant run fast and we already have someone who cant run fast and is tall Gage. Edwards i dont think is the answer when we have too many holes. They are talking about q moving to guard but if we trade out of 4 and get 2 first we can either get heath miller another get target for grossman or cedric benson who is falling and a elton brown or david bass at guard for the next ten years then pick up a wr or running back in the second. also we should try to geet a third rounder from somebody maybe next years later draft for one in the third this year because we should try and get a good kicker or olb like a briggs
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Braylon or Williams are available I think that would have to be the best pick. If neither falls, I think if a RB is around (Benson, Cadillac though I dont really like him) we would jump on them as well. After that Heath Miller would be a good selection because he could def help both our running and passing games. Using a top 10 pick on him though I think would be a stretch. Taking a OT with this pick is probably out of the question with the Miller signing, but I think that might be the BPA.

Maybe another trade down, we could always use more first day picks?
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read says that GMs do not want to move up in the draft - they say there aren't any "can't miss" guys in this draft. So I don't see the Bears being able to trade down. No way do you waste the #4 pick on an OL, or a TE. Heath Miller just isn't good enough to pick at that slot either. I'm hoping that Ronnie Brown drops to us, but I doubt that he will.
Ryno53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Trading down Reply with quote

You people are nuts if you think we're walking away with 2 first rounders in a pottential trade. Think about it, why would a team like the Vikes or San Diego trade up when they're sittin' pretty with two "safe range" picks?

This draft doesn't have the buzz that previous drafts have had. There are no "sure picks", no Mannings or Moss' to trade up for. Teams like the Jets learned their lessons about trading up. I doubt we'll ever get lucky enough to trade a #4 (Dwayne Robertson) for two first rounders (Grossman and Haynes). The bust pottential (Robertson) scares too many people in this draft.

If anything we'll get a no.1, a third, and maybe a fifth. I would love the Bears to stay put and gamble on Mike Williams. Espeacially with the Vikes signing of Fred Smoot, the Bears could take adavantage of a division with short/undersized d-backs (Smoot and Winfield) by drafting a 6'5 monster in Williams.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya Ryno... no way is anyone gonna trade up for the fourth pick. Take Williams and then we have a very good recieving corp between him and moose.
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payton34 - I may be proved wrong, but Mike Williams ever has or will be compared to Mike Williams. Copmpletely different.

Ryno, Grr - I would also be fine with a top receiver. I'd also like to see us take away the Vikings preferred pick of Williams (according to many mocks). I don't know who can create better separation between Edwards and Williams, but whoever that is- is who I want. My gut has always been Williams with his size and hands, but Edwards has been a star a the combine and since.

Overall, I'd like the best WR/RB available. Angelo, make your list and take whoever's left at the top.
delakev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryno- Robertson has not been deemed a bust yet, he is being considered to a rising star, we were fortunate to have Tommie Harris give some sort of production this year, because most DT's are not effective til they're third year. Secondly we essentially gave up Leftwich for Grossman and Haynes.

I understand, I more than anyone want to see Brown or Williams in a Bears uni next year, but the purpose of this thread was if we trade down. IF. then I just wanted to make a point that I don't think we should go Heath Miller. I would rather go Thomas Davis/ Troy Williamson type thing.

Thanks so much Scar!!
dacoach13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you guys remember it was terrell suggs the bears were looking at that pick but he ran a slow 40 time and thats why we traded down. i really hope we dont pass on an all-pro player in mike williams because of a 40 time again. but on this topic. i would have no problem with grabbing thomas davis and then possibly still getting a pass catcher. but i think we should snag a recieving te in miller. williamson's best trait is his outstanding deep speed but i think berrian has shown potential in that role. lets face it we have the worst te situation in the league, and miller even if he isnt tony g or gates, he would still be a major step up. great size, decent speed, and tremendous hands. but in all honesty lets not trade down. plus i think you can still find a decent wr in the later rounds.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any chance of the Bears getting Miller... you can't take him with the fourth pick - he's not that good... and I really doubt that he'll be there in the second round. Again - no way are we trading down, because no other team is going to take the chance of giving up a middle first round and a second round for the fourth pick in the draft... there just isn't a marquee player worth it.
Ryno53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delakev- I couldn't agree with you more on the subject of whether we should have traded down or not. However, the essential player we gave up (Robertson) is not worth Grossman and Haynes. However you're very right on the subject of who we passed on by trading. I was SREAMING draft Leftwich that year. THat's why I'm saying we should stay put at #4, not chicken out as ussual, and take our man. THe coaching staff loved Leftwich when he was coming out, but were too scared to take him at #4.

They've showed more balls this year by going out and getting they're respective targets in Moose and Mill, I feel (hope) they do the same with this pick.

Let it be known... If the Bears trade down this year I shall join Dekalev's boycott of the season.
Canadianbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be stupid to take Williams at number four, then fill the gap at either OLB or safety wiht our second round pick, and then take a gamble on Clarret with our fourth round pick. Sure he is a headcase, but he has great talent and only ran a slow forty this year because he was too bulked up. This would allow the bears to get a qualitly WR and a chance at a star RB without trading up. Just a thought.
Ryno53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bear- the only stupid thing you said was drafting Clarett. He has done nothing to impress me this offseason. All he had to do was look good at the combine and he failed at that. Now, with a crappy combine and an already alarming charactor isssues, he is nothing more than Randy Moss without the skills. And that my firend, isn't even worth a free-agent contract.

But other than that I agreed with everything you said
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally Ryno... Clarett is nothing but trouble waiting to happen (or to quit - like he did at the combine).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: