Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 4-6 Defense???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: The 4-6 Defense??? Reply with quote

Dont be so sold on the 4-3 base defense just yet. Could the Ravens be switching into the 46? maybe. The 4-6 defense depends on having great shutdown corners and a safety to play deep. Guess what the Ravens now have? I saw this idea on that Ravens website. Apparently Rex Ryan thinks signing Rolle really opens up the playbook of the 4-6. the 46 also just happened to be practically created by Rex Ryans father, similar to how Bill Walsh created the west coast offense.

this is from the Ravens website:

Quote:
Since Rolle signed a six-year contract Monday afternoon, there has been a buzz around the Ravens’ training complex. With two cover corners guarding the backside, defensive coordinator Rex Ryan can do almost anything with his defensive front.

That includes his dad’s defense.

“I think the 46 became a reality,” Ryan said. “I have a feeling we're going to be seeing it a lot more than we had initially planned. There's no question that these are two premier corners, and we have three if Deion Sanders comes back. That will give us a chance to lock down and be more creative on defense.”

I dont know much about the 4-6 defense and not many if any at all NFL teams have used it recently. im pretty sure the eagles used it a lot 3 years ago when they had bobby taylor, troy vincent and brian dawkins in the secondary. From what i know playing Madden(not sure how real it is) the base 4-6 has the FS deep, 2 CBs, 4 Dlinmen(set up line in a 4-3) and 3 LBs with the SS playing in the same area maybe just a few steps back.(creating sort of a 4-4 image) It can also be changed to form whats called a 46 Bear defense which is the FS deep, 2 CBs, 6 linemen(2 DTs, 2DEs, and i guess 2 OLBs) and the MLB and SS playing off the line.

Apparently this formation is deadly tough to run against and as long as youve got fast LBs you can really run some confusing coverschemes by allowing them to drop into different zones.

Whats everyones thoughts on this? I personally think it would be a great formation for us to use now that we have the best CB tandem in the NFL. Like i said i dont know the specifis but it might be worth checking out come mini camps and training camp. I still however like what Rex Ryan originally said about how he doesnt want to have a true base defense and just use a varities of defenses including the 4-3, 3-4, 46 and 3-3-5 as well as combining this formations to form hybrid formations.

Just thought id put all this out there for everyone.
mic79e

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Rex Ryan said about using a lot of different looks, as long as it isn't too much for the players, or him, to handle. I'm not really concerned that that will be the case (we've got a lot of smart players), but I guess it's just the most obvious pit fall to his idea.

Like he said getting Samari Rolle gives us incredible versatility, so I think it's worth giving everything a decent try in training camp.

If our defence was proficient in the 4-6 then it would be great to use against top offences and great QB's like Peyton Manning. It would definitely give teams extra things to prepare for when they play us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: