Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats Trading Up...FA List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King of the IE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Pats Trading Up...FA List Reply with quote

I think the Pats should try for Calvin Johnson. He's a Fitzgerald clone. Brady, Malroney, Watson & Johnson culd be All-Pro every season, along with the post season potential. Jackson, Caldwell and Co. would compliment perfectly. [b] Trade both #1's & 5th or later pick OR back-up OL/ DL for Top 5-6 pick. Or...

I like the stud S Nelson from Florida. Learning from Rodney, competing with Sanders and Wilson= All Pro SS/ FS Hybrid. Kid can bring it. Ed Reed-clone (DB's from FLA are the ishh).

We also should address ILB & OLB through FA & later rounds. Like Briggs, but really like A. Thomas from BAL. We got the cap space, do what could be HUGE for NE Defense; BIG, playmaking hybrid LB. Just think about it for a sec. WOW!

NE Brass usually won't make the Big Splash in Draft Day, sticking to late round moves. Hopefully this draft might be different.

If we stay, I like WR Bowe from LSU (shh..he's a sleeper!), A-Hole (but could mature like fine wine) S Merriweather from MIA, CB Ross from TEX is a stud, DE Moss from FLA is a hybrid playmaker.

Comments are invited; Next post will have updates, hopefully with Pats tradin' up!

Be good!
Late!
Vikes need a RB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to the forum. Now about the pats trading up...
I highly don't they will let alone could trade up with the browns or Lions to get him, since the Bucs will take him for sure if hes there. The Patriots also don't like going after high priced FA, so Thomas isn't a realistic option. They could get lucky though, and maybe draft Nelson with their earlier pick and Bowe/Jarrett/Ginn with their later pick.

Raptor44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patriots won't even offer their own players high contracts unless that player is Tom Brady. I doubt they sign any key FAs this offseason.

They will go WR with one of their first two picks and defense (CB, S, LB) with the other in my opinion. I could be wrong but the receivers cost them in the playoffs and they're aging on defense.

DO NOT BENCH FOWLER
BirdRockstar21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will not trade up.

Their getting older in the LBing core and could use both selections to rejuvinate the group with a youth movement. Maybe a Posluszny and a Alexander?

Or at least they will take Griffin from Texas, I just think they will do what they always do, find good players in the Draft to fit the system.

Its exciting to think about it, (moving up) to get the best player, but realistically it will not happen.

The Pats actually have a lot of cap room this year, so a key FA is a possibility.
inbradywetrust

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pats got Johnson then they would be 14-2 next season. Average wide recievers was what killed them.

Why couldn't Jabar Gaffney play like he did in the playoffs for the regular season?
amakattack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor44 wrote:
The Patriots won't even offer their own players high contracts unless that player is Tom Brady. I doubt they sign any key FAs this offseason.

They will go WR with one of their first two picks and defense (CB, S, LB) with the other in my opinion. I could be wrong but the receivers cost them in the playoffs and they're aging on defense.

When the Patriots believe a player has the talent to justify the price he is asking, they are very willing to work something out, which is a wise decision. Reference: Rosevelt Colvin, Richard Seymour, Tom Brady
cgf 216/137

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the pats to move up it'd take a ricky williams type trade, both firsts, a first next year and probably their second this year and a third next year might net them Calvin Johnson, but if oakland doesn't take him I'll laugh for days.

All men are not created equal, it is the governments responsibility to make them so.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patriots rarely trade up, and have done so in the first round once in the last 1 years. As a franchise, they believe that the best value is in the mid to late parts of the 1st round and they have two picks right where they want them.
FF Member #1031
stickcheck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Pats stay Pat Reply with quote

As much as I want them to trade up with Detroit, the will not. I can see them taking Blades with one of their picks,(he is their type of LB) and Griffin. Of course they will probably draft a TE they always do.
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on who falls. If Nelson or Landry falls outside of the top 15 which could be possible then I could see the Pats trading up to grab them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: