Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2006 draft (UPON FURTHER REVIEW... ) 3 BEST and WORST drafts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Suffering_Bills


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 4079
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: 2006 draft (UPON FURTHER REVIEW... ) 3 BEST and WORST drafts Reply with quote

Wow. Way too early to think about posting a 2007 mock; SO many things will change. We haven't even seen the '06 class play a down yet, so even the draft grades on those are a guess.... at BEST. But, after going over them countless times, reading some training camp/rookie reports, etc., etc., etc., I've come up with a SO FAR, ON PAPER, draft grades of the the 3 best and 3 worst drafts, that is still remarkably similar to my initial thoughts. Read and enjoy. Comments always welcome.... especially of the negative sort Wink

#1. ARIZONA: A+
I just can't find anything bad to say about what they did, or how it fell into place. They couldn't have asked for a greater gift than for Leinart to fall to them at #10. That is amazing, and a PERFECT meshing of player and team. Adding Lutui in the 2nd was a solid move, but to get Pope in the 3rd was utter larceny. Watson in the 4th might have been an even bigger steal, and he could EASILY wind up being the best DT tackle in this draft. Consider this, for a moment: With their first 4 picks, it is QUITE possible that the Cardinals got the best QB, OG, TE, and DT in this draft, or at least they could be, in time. Can you possibly ask for better than that? In the later rounds, the selections of Brandon Johnson, Jon Lewis, and Todd Watkins weren't too shabby, either. They got great players, great value throughout, addressed all their need areas, and set the tone for the future of this franchise. Simply outstanding.

PHILADELPHIA: A
With their 1st and 2nd-round picks of Bunkley and Justice, the Eagles got two top 15-20 picks, at a much lower cost. I think a lot of teams will regret passing on Justice, because, character concerns aside, this kid could be a DOMINANT offensive tackle, with the ability to play either side. I like their 3rd-round selection of Gocong; it might take him awhile to find his niche in the D-Line rotation, but he will contribute, and should be great on special teams, as well. Jean-Gilles in the 4th was highway robbery. With Andrews, Justice, and this guy, the eagles' O-line could be absolutely punishing in the very near future. Avant and Bloom add some interesting options for McNabb and the return game. Gaither and Ramsey will add youth, depth, and competition to the defense. This was an excellent draft, and puts Philly right back into contention for the NFC crown, right up there with Seattle and Carolina.

HOUSTON: A-
Reggie Bush aside, I think that Houston did the smart thing, from a TEAM standpoint. To be honest, in a perfect world, they would have traded David Carr for a 1st-rounder, and drafted Vince Young 1st overall. It would have been just so ideal, but, back to reality: Mario Williams is going to be a FORCE. Say what you want about his college productivity, but you find me a physical specimen at the DE position like him that isn't named Peppers. DeMeco Ryans will be another, immediate defensive starter, and a good one, for a long time. They truly shone in the 3rd, though; Winston and Spencer have the potential to someday be the best pair of 3rd-rounders ever drafted by one team in one draft. Add to that the fact that OL was the Texan's biggest need, and it just makes it all the sweeter. In the later rounds, Daniels, Lundy, and Anderson didn't excite me too much, but when you get 4 future, quality starters with your first 4 picks, it's hard to complain.

HONORABLE MENTION: GREEN BAY

Okay, now the 3 WORST:

#1. WASHINGTON: F+
I threw the "+" on the "F" because it's a little more insulting. Seriously, though... I don't even like including this team in draft reviews, because they make a mockery of the concept every year, it seems... -and the fact that they didn't have a first-rounder this year was only a small part of the problem. Suffice it to say... -if Jason Campbell is the guy who you gave up this year's 1st for, that's not good. If you TRADE UP with your 2nd-rounder to get a guy (McIntosh) who very well might have been there if you'd stayed at your original slot, that's worse. AND.... if the rest of your draft is garbage, and it was, that's WORST. Utterly lousy draft.

#2. INDIANAPOLIS: D-
If they really needed a running back, and they did, why not TRADE UP to get Maroney or Williams? There HAD to be a taker. Better to give up your 1st and 2nd for a RB with less question marks, especially if you are only going to waste your 2nd-rounder, ANYWAY. Addai is going to be under a LOT of pressure to come anywhere NEAR the production level of James. Their 2nd and 3rd-round selections were absolutely clueless. Tim Jennings and Freddie Keihao? You're kidding, right? The only other pick even worth mentioning that wasn't just HORRIBLE, was Antoine Bethea in the 6th. It looks like the Colts did their best in this draft to make Manning the next Dan Marino; the best QB to NEVER win a Super Bowl. Ouch.

#3. KANSAS CITY: D
The thing that makes this one so bad is not the players they picked..... moreso the ABSOLUTE lack of value where they selected them. Oh, not to mention the fact that they did a pretty lousy job of addressing team needs. Tamba Hali at #20? They could have traded down 10-15 picks and still gotten him, EASY. Bernard Pollard in the 2nd round, when CB and WR was a bigger need? They could have had Marshall, Youboty, Moss, Stovall, SO many talented players, and STILL selected Pollard in the 3rd. Brodie Croyle in the 3rd is NOT the answer at QB, sorry. He will be an always-injured career backup. They got some fairly decent players in the later rounds, most notably Maxey and Webb, but it wasn't NEARLY enough to save this class from failure. This class will be known in K.C. as the "what-could-have-been" class. Whoever was in charge of this one should be demoted..... or fired.

HONORABLE MENTION: CHICAGO
_________________
Why have a signature? I don't need to be famous.................................................


Last edited by Suffering_Bills on Sat May 27, 2006 2:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRedHawk7


Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 6244
Location: Arlington, VA but always repping St. Louis
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but don't you think there is a reason the coaches/GMs drafted the players they picked. It's not like they had novices like us pick for them. Like with KC, sure, Tamba Hali wasn't high on a lot of footballfutures draft boards, but there's a reason he was an all-american. Kansas City needs high intensity guys, defenders who can bring some energy to the team. Tamba Hali isn't the biggest guy, or the best athlete, but he's a high motor, high character guy. I mean, look at what Jared Allen has done for them. Everytime I watch a KC game I see him in on pretty much every defensive play. KC doesn't need flashy defensive players, they need solid players who give 100% on every play. If KC can have a solid defense this year, with that offense, they could go deep into the playoffs and I personally think Tamba Hali is a good pick.

Now, Suffering_Bills, I'm not trying to knock you, I've seen a lot of "draft grade" threads, but I just decided to rant this particular time. You gave good analysis and explanation, and you could very well be right. I just don't undertand why people on this board try to, essentially, criticize people who know a lot more than us. I just used KC and Tamba Hali as an example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suffering_Bills


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 4079
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRedHawk7 wrote:
No offense, but don't you think there is a reason the coaches/GMs drafted the players they picked. It's not like they had novices like us pick for them. Like with KC, sure, Tamba Hali wasn't high on a lot of footballfutures draft boards, but there's a reason he was an all-american. Kansas City needs high intensity guys, defenders who can bring some energy to the team. Tamba Hali isn't the biggest guy, or the best athlete, but he's a high motor, high character guy. I mean, look at what Jared Allen has done for them. Everytime I watch a KC game I see him in on pretty much every defensive play. KC doesn't need flashy defensive players, they need solid players who give 100% on every play. If KC can have a solid defense this year, with that offense, they could go deep into the playoffs and I personally think Tamba Hali is a good pick.

Now, Suffering_Bills, I'm not trying to knock you, I've seen a lot of "draft grade" threads, but I just decided to rant this particular time. You gave good analysis and explanation, and you could very well be right. I just don't undertand why people on this board try to, essentially, criticize people who know a lot more than us. I just used KC and Tamba Hali as an example.

Hey, no sweat, STLRedHawk7. One thing to mention, though; in regards to those mysterious folks who know so much more than us, a lot of them seem to agree with my own thoughts on the Chiefs' draft, especially from a value standpoint. I've got my fav teams, sure, but in a draft review, I am unbiased as I can possibly be, and K.C. stunned me. Even if Hali turns out to be pretty good, they could have gotten him CONSIDERABLY later, as well as getting probably another 2nd-rounder, at least. As far as Pollard and Croyle go....? I will stand by those statements FOREVER.... unless both those players go to the Pro-Bowl, which won't happen. it's sad, though. My whole point is that the Chiefs, whom I have NOTHING against, could have done WAY better in this draft, point-blank.
_________________
Why have a signature? I don't need to be famous.................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20703
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 draft (UPON FURTHER REVIEW... )3 BEST and WORST dra Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
#1. WASHINGTON: F+
I threw the "+" on the "F" because it's a little more insulting. Seriously, though... I don't even like including this team in draft reviews, because they make a mockery of the concept every year, it seems... -and the fact that they didn't have a first-rounder this year had NOTHING to do with it. Suffice it to say... -if Jason Campbell is the guy who you gave up this year's 1st for, that's not good. If you TRADE UP with your 2nd-rounder to get a guy (McIntosh) who very well might have been there if you'd stayed at your original slot, that's worse. AND.... if the rest of your draft is garbage, and it was, that's WORST. Horrible draft.


Of course, if you ask a Washington fan, they'll say that their free agent acquisitions and trades should count as part of the draft. That's the dumbest concept that I've ever heard.

If they want to do that, then the Cowboys had the best draft out of every team. Chris Canty (a 1st round prospect last year before getting hurt) was drafted last year with this year's 4th round pick, they signed T.O., Mike Vanderjagt and Akin Ayodele. So they must get an A+++, right? The answer: NO. Free agent pickups and trades have nothing to do with the draft whatsoever. Draft picks used IN THE DRAFT have to do with the draft, not the ones given up for current players.

The fact is, Dan Snyder must hate the draft. He burns through draft picks long before the Skins even have a chance to use them. He's either too desperate to overpay for mediocre players (Randle-El, Archuleta, Lloyd), or has no faith in his scouting department whatsoever. Now Skins fans will try to justify his behavior, but they would just as quick to insult his antics as the rest of us if he owned a different team.

The reality is that their draft sucked. They spent way too much to trade up for a marginal LB like McIntosh. They could've waited until later in the 2nd round (possibly the 3rd round) before throwing away multiple picks on him. He's not going to give them the production to warrant what they paid to get him. He's not a bad player, just not worth so many picks. The Skins should've chalked up the lack of draft picks this year as a loss, and worked on having a full draft next year. Besides, we all know that the Redskins will trade away all of their picks again next year and then become desperate for players on draft day like usual. Talk about poor management.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRedHawk7


Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 6244
Location: Arlington, VA but always repping St. Louis
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe I'm too nice on GMs and such. But take your team for example. A lot of people gave the Bills a D or lower because of their first round picks. They gave them a low grade because they didn't have Whitner as a top 10 pick and they certainly didn't have McCargo as a first rounder. But, from what I can tell, Buffalo is in a position where they need guys who can come in an contribute and help build a team. Neither of those guys are flashy, but they are both solid players. Both seem game ready. Whitner can cover and is a solid tackler, but people don't see big hits or high INTs numbers or 4.3 40 so they assume he isn't a top prospect.

Do you see what I'm saying? Picks like that leave fans scratching their heads, but there is always method to the madness. They (GMs and coaches) know something we don't. It doesn't always work out in their favor with busts and whatever, but at the time they knew what they were doing. At the same time, Huff could theoretically bust just as easily as Whitner, and the same goes for Bunkley v. McCargo.

Draft analysis is great, and it adds great substance to forums like this, ut at some point you gotta think the guys in the front office might know something we don't. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part....


Last edited by STLRedHawk7 on Sat May 27, 2006 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suffering_Bills


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 4079
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 draft (UPON FURTHER REVIEW... )3 BEST and WORST dra Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
#1. WASHINGTON: F+
I threw the "+" on the "F" because it's a little more insulting. Seriously, though... I don't even like including this team in draft reviews, because they make a mockery of the concept every year, it seems... -and the fact that they didn't have a first-rounder this year had NOTHING to do with it. Suffice it to say... -if Jason Campbell is the guy who you gave up this year's 1st for, that's not good. If you TRADE UP with your 2nd-rounder to get a guy (McIntosh) who very well might have been there if you'd stayed at your original slot, that's worse. AND.... if the rest of your draft is garbage, and it was, that's WORST. Horrible draft.


Of course, if you ask a Washington fan, they'll say that their free agent acquisitions and trades should count as part of the draft. That's the dumbest concept that I've ever heard.

If they want to do that, then the Cowboys had the best draft out of every team. Chris Canty (a 1st round prospect last year before getting hurt) was drafted last year with this year's 4th round pick, they signed T.O., Mike Vanderjagt and Akin Ayodele. So they must get an A+++, right? The answer: NO. Free agent pickups and trades have nothing to do with the draft whatsoever. Draft picks used IN THE DRAFT have to do with the draft, not the ones given up for current players.

The fact is, Dan Snyder must hate the draft. He burns through draft picks long before the Skins even have a chance to use them. He's either too desperate to overpay for mediocre players (Randle-El, Archuleta, Lloyd), or has no faith in his scouting department whatsoever. Now Skins fans will try to justify his behavior, but they would just as quick to insult his antics as the rest of us if he owned a different team.

The reality is that their draft sucked. They spent way too much to trade up for a marginal LB like McIntosh. They could've waited until later in the 2nd round (possibly the 3rd round) before throwing away multiple picks on him. He's not going to give them the production to warrant what they paid to get him. He's not a bad player, just not worth so many picks. The Skins should've chalked up the lack of draft picks this year as a loss, and worked on having a full draft next year. Besides, we all know that the Redskins will trade away all of their picks again next year and then become desperate for players on draft day like usual. Talk about poor management.

Couldn't agree with you more. Very well put.
_________________
Why have a signature? I don't need to be famous.................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suffering_Bills


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 4079
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRedHawk7 wrote:
I don't know, maybe I'm too nice on GMs and such. But take your team for example. A lot of people gave the Bills a D or lower because of their first round picks. They gave them a low grade because they didn't have Whitner as a top 10 pick and they certainly didn't have McCargo as a first rounder. But, from what I can tell, Buffalo is in a position where they need guys who can come in an contribute and help build a team. Neither of those guys are flashy, but they are both solid players. Both seem game ready. Whitner can cover and is a solid tackler, but people don't see big hits or high INTs numbers or 4.3 40 so they assume he isn't a top prospect.

Do you see what I'm saying? Picks like that leave fans scratching their heads, but there is always method to the madness. They (GMs and coaches) know something we don't. It doesn't always work out in their favor with busts and whatever, but at the time they knew what they were doing. At the same time, Huff could theoretically bust just as easily as Whitner, and the same goes for Bunkley v. McCargo.

Draft analysis is great, and it adds great substance to forums like this, ut at some point you gotta think the guys in the front office might know something we don't. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part....


I hear ya, dude. Inexact science, at best, this process; very fluid, constantly changing, etc. Wink When the Bills had completed their first two picks, I was livid... although the 3rd and 4th-round selections certainly balanced out things, from a value standpoint. I've since found out that Detroit was VERY likely going to take Whitner if we'd grabbed Huff, and that the Giants were planning on taking McCargo at #32. Levy might know what he's doing.
_________________
Why have a signature? I don't need to be famous.................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#1CARDSFAN


Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 23284
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread bills fan

we only have one free safety on our roster worth mentioning and thats 35 year old robert griffith and we didnt address that area in the draft

that was the only thing that left me scratching my head

good analysis on the other teams though

the draft is always a crap shoot always will be

i love it when i watched the draft where the fans BOOOOOOed when they picked donavan mc nabb over akili smith

well we all know how that turned out and the eagles said if they didnt have the 2nd pick but had the first they would ahve taken tim couch

ouch

good thing they drafted lower that year hahaha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rushpacker_56


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 2350
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
great thread bills fan

we only have one free safety on our roster worth mentioning and thats 35 year old robert griffith and we didnt address that area in the draft

that was the only thing that left me scratching my head

good analysis on the other teams though

the draft is always a crap shoot always will be

i love it when i watched the draft where the fans BOOOOOOed when they picked donavan mc nabb over akili smith

well we all know how that turned out and the eagles said if they didnt have the 2nd pick but had the first they would ahve taken tim couch

ouch

good thing they drafted lower that year hahaha


They weren't mad that they didn't get Smith; they wanted Ricky Williams.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 23870
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, you gave the Texans an A- and the 3rd best draft overall?? Give me a break.

I don't care about how Davis is the answer at HB, if you were not going to take Reggie Bush 1st overall, you trade down and take Ferguson. Drafting Mario Williams is not drafting for value and it is not drafting to fill your biggest need when the best OT prospect since Orlando Pace is sitting right there. To stay pat and take Williams was the mistake of the draft, and to not wait around until the draft where the offers would have been streaming in was even more ridiculous. Out of the 1st rounders in the history of football, that one had the most value simply because of Bush, and if you weren't going to take Bush, you trade with the Titans, Saints or Jets, get a bundle of picks and players, then take the player who would have really helped your team, Ferguson. Instead they decide to take Williams based on a 40 time, a vertical leap, and his bench reps, but looking at his tape, he didn't dominate like he should have. More than 1/2 of his sacks and tackles for loss came against 3 teams, much like Mathias Kiwanuka, and look what happened to him. I don't need to discuss the rest of the draft, because when you make a mistake like that with the chance to add one of the best HBs in history and you get an inconsistant Julius Peppers who will not impact your team half as much as Ferguson or Bush, and you didn't get any trade down picks, you failed.

B-
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pollino14


Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Posts: 16610
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the honorable mention from Green Bay
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRedHawk7


Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 6244
Location: Arlington, VA but always repping St. Louis
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Boy, you gave the Texans an A- and the 3rd best draft overall?? Give me a break.

I don't care about how Davis is the answer at HB, if you were not going to take Reggie Bush 1st overall, you trade down and take Ferguson. Drafting Mario Williams is not drafting for value and it is not drafting to fill your biggest need when the best OT prospect since Orlando Pace is sitting right there. To stay pat and take Williams was the mistake of the draft, and to not wait around until the draft where the offers would have been streaming in was even more ridiculous. Out of the 1st rounders in the history of football, that one had the most value simply because of Bush, and if you weren't going to take Bush, you trade with the Titans, Saints or Jets, get a bundle of picks and players, then take the player who would have really helped your team, Ferguson. Instead they decide to take Williams based on a 40 time, a vertical leap, and his bench reps, but looking at his tape, he didn't dominate like he should have. More than 1/2 of his sacks and tackles for loss came against 3 teams, much like Mathias Kiwanuka, and look what happened to him. I don't need to discuss the rest of the draft, because when you make a mistake like that with the chance to add one of the best HBs in history and you get an inconsistant Julius Peppers who will not impact your team half as much as Ferguson or Bush, and you didn't get any trade down picks, you failed.

B-

Ferguson wasn't the best OT prospect since Pace. He was the best OT propsect since Gallery. Did you know that DEs get more in arbitration than RBs? That means that they are technically more valuable. If you can get a DE that dominates like Mario has the potential to do, why pass on him. You also say "they should have traded down," well it's not like there is an "easy" button that you can press and automatically trade down. It's not that simple. If nobody is offering anything worthwhile, why trade down? Just for the sake of it?

And you say OT is their biggest need, well they got Eric Winston in the third which was a huge pickup, he can start almost right away.

The Texans had good draft. You can blame them all you want for not taking Bush, but they did the smart thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JIllg


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 2300
Location: Auburn, Alabama
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bills aren't among the worst and the Niners aren't among the best ? What did I miss?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BoYz2tHeBoWl


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 16526
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
great thread bills fan

we only have one free safety on our roster worth mentioning and thats 35 year old robert griffith and we didnt address that area in the draft

that was the only thing that left me scratching my head

good analysis on the other teams though

the draft is always a crap shoot always will be

i love it when i watched the draft where the fans BOOOOOOed when they picked donavan mc nabb over akili smith

well we all know how that turned out and the eagles said if they didnt have the 2nd pick but had the first they would ahve taken tim couch

ouch

good thing they drafted lower that year hahaha


They weren't mad that they didn't get Smith; they wanted Ricky Williams.


Yeah, I was about to say. But, then again that isn't exactly looking like a dumb pick now either.
_________________

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Perhaps it's your assessment is the one that is a knock on your ability to assess a football game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 23870
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRedHawk7 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Boy, you gave the Texans an A- and the 3rd best draft overall?? Give me a break.

I don't care about how Davis is the answer at HB, if you were not going to take Reggie Bush 1st overall, you trade down and take Ferguson. Drafting Mario Williams is not drafting for value and it is not drafting to fill your biggest need when the best OT prospect since Orlando Pace is sitting right there. To stay pat and take Williams was the mistake of the draft, and to not wait around until the draft where the offers would have been streaming in was even more ridiculous. Out of the 1st rounders in the history of football, that one had the most value simply because of Bush, and if you weren't going to take Bush, you trade with the Titans, Saints or Jets, get a bundle of picks and players, then take the player who would have really helped your team, Ferguson. Instead they decide to take Williams based on a 40 time, a vertical leap, and his bench reps, but looking at his tape, he didn't dominate like he should have. More than 1/2 of his sacks and tackles for loss came against 3 teams, much like Mathias Kiwanuka, and look what happened to him. I don't need to discuss the rest of the draft, because when you make a mistake like that with the chance to add one of the best HBs in history and you get an inconsistant Julius Peppers who will not impact your team half as much as Ferguson or Bush, and you didn't get any trade down picks, you failed.

B-

Ferguson wasn't the best OT prospect since Pace. He was the best OT propsect since Gallery. Did you know that DEs get more in arbitration than RBs? That means that they are technically more valuable. If you can get a DE that dominates like Mario has the potential to do, why pass on him. You also say "they should have traded down," well it's not like there is an "easy" button that you can press and automatically trade down. It's not that simple. If nobody is offering anything worthwhile, why trade down? Just for the sake of it?

And you say OT is their biggest need, well they got Eric Winston in the third which was a huge pickup, he can start almost right away.

The Texans had good draft. You can blame them all you want for not taking Bush, but they did the smart thing.


They could have taken Mario Williams at number 2 if they wanted him so bad, Reggie was higher than Mario on the Saints board. They could have gotten any number of picks from the Jets, Titans, or Saints and still gotten either Mario or D'Brick. What is more valuable, a DE with no extra picks, or an OT who is just as good with about 2 more 1st rounders?? I am not condemning them for not taking Reggie, I am condemning them for not taking Reggie, but then taking someone else with the number 1 overall pick.

Eric Winston is not the answer at tackle the Texans needed, they needed someone who can dominate, like D'Brick could, not someone who could fill in. The offensive line will still stink, they will not have an explosive offense, Mario Williams will not have better numbers than Reggie Bush, and the Texans will once again be one of the worst teams in the league.

Oh, and by the way, that awful decision and the defence of it got Charley fired as the Texans GM. The Redskins might have drafted bad, but at least they have their jobs.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group