Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints sign former Pro-Bowl center Jonathan Goodwin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Saints sign former Pro-Bowl center Jonathan Goodwin Reply with quote

Quote:
#Saints and Jonathan Goodwin have agreed to deal, per league source. Terms not disclosed. He should officially sign on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/MikeTriplett/status/473529882719563776

Goodwin played for the Saints from 2006 to 2010 and was selected to the Pro-Bowl during that time. He played for the 49ers from 2011 to 2013.

Goodwin started 108 games in his career, including every game the past 5 seasons.

Tom Brady Tribute
NS922

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured this would happen. Solid move. Don't know how he's been playing recently but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Tim Lelito.
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great signing considering. Goodwin was never the most amazing option at Center but he wasn't exactly horrible either. The main reason we let him go was that DLP was at most a slight drop-off but cost a lot less money. Now he comes back for a much more respectable price and lets us continue to develop Lelito much like we did DLP.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
SilverFalco8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I think this is a great signing considering. Goodwin was never the most amazing option at Center but he wasn't exactly horrible either. The main reason we let him go was that DLP was at most a slight drop-off but cost a lot less money. Now he comes back for a much more respectable price and lets us continue to develop Lelito much like we did DLP.

Yes i agree. The o-line struggled a bit and i feared some struggles would continue with Lelito.

PSN (PS4)- SilverFalco8
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
The main reason we let him go was that DLP was at most a slight drop-off but cost a lot less money.

You must have forgotten about Kreutz. The FO obviously wasn't totally sold on DLP at the time, and that's why they brought in Kreutz.

Seems like a very similar situation here with Lelito. FO isn't sold on him, but see him as an option down the road, or if he works his way up to starting job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:
The main reason we let him go was that DLP was at most a slight drop-off but cost a lot less money.

You must have forgotten about Kreutz. The FO obviously wasn't totally sold on DLP at the time, and that's why they brought in Kreutz.

Seems like a very similar situation here with Lelito. FO isn't sold on him, but see him as an option down the road, or if he works his way up to starting job.

Well they didn't bring in Kreutz until well after Goodwin signed with another team, it was actually near the end of FA IIRC so they were more than willing to go with DLP if they didn't sign anyone else. Also did Kreutz even play a down for us? I know he came in with injury concerns and didn't last long.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
SWATcha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

Well they didn't bring in Kreutz until well after Goodwin signed with another team, it was actually near the end of FA IIRC so they were more than willing to go with DLP if they didn't sign anyone else. Also did Kreutz even play a down for us? I know he came in with injury concerns and didn't last long.

I didn't think he did, but then I found this via Wikpedia;
Quote:
On August 5, 2011, Kreutz signed with the New Orleans Saints for a one year $2 million contract with an additional $2 million in incentives. Kreutz played in four of the Saints' first six games, missing the other two with a knee injury. He then decided to quit the team, saying that he had lost his "passion" for the game;[7] the Saints were reportedly planning to move him to the "left team" list.[8] He was waived after leaving the squad on October 22.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

We brought in Kreutz well after Goodwin left, just like we brought in Goodwin well after DLP left.

IMO, this situation going from DLP to Goodwin with Lelito in the wings is identical to going from Goodwin to Kreutz with DLP in the wings.

Kreutz played about 4 or 5 games IIRC, then "lost passion" for the game when a UDFA filled in for him and played better than he did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Goodwin was the plan the entire time. They waited to see what was available to them in the draft and there apparently wasn't a significant upgrade to Goodwin/Lelito, so they went a different direction. Lelito needs game reps before even considering him for a starting job. The idea that Lelito would be "the man" was also a self-initiated brainwashing session.

~Sir William Osler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: