Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I STRUGGLE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will the Browns draft at #3?
LB Derrick Johnson
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
RB Cedric Benson
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
QB Alex Smith
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
DE/OLB Dan Cody
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Braylon Edwards
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Mike Williams
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
RB Carnell Williams
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OLB Shawne Merriman
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Other (please specify)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

CTCowboysFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: I STRUGGLE Reply with quote

I struggle with the Browns pick every time I do my mock draft. So my question to you Browns fans is who would you have them take.

Aaron Rodgers and Ronnie Brown are my two players off of the board

So please vote and if you are really generous give an explanation to who you picked and why?
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pick merriman because he is the best fit for Romeo's defense too many questions about Johnson and not a single question about Merriman.
CTCowboysFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thank you for your time. Could you please ask some more of the Browns fans to vote for this because I want some more opinions.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they will but don't believe there are too many people in here right now will have too wait till A.M.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Johnson because he is probably the best player in the draft.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem with Johnson is he is a 4-3 linebacker in the 3-4 he will have to tgake on blockers and that is where evryone is questioning him not his talent level they just say he doesnt do well when he has too fight blocklers he's better with a tackle taking up the guard and leaving him free to roam sideline to sideline...but I said b-4 if the Browns do draft him it's only because Romeo knows he can do it in the 3-4 too....Istill like merriman better though he'll play all downs right from the beginning.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Johnson can play in the 4-3 or 3-4... dont doubt him... he will just prove you wrong....

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about johnson the more it seems that he is talented enough to play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 and at various positions. However, it does seem that there are a few people who speaking negatively about him and this is the only thing that they can come up with. I don't like any of the quarterbacks at all and at the 3 spot I wouldn't waste the pick. I like Merriman, Johnson, Antrell and Brown, but Merriman and Antrell are both reachs at that position. And I don't see as much of a need for a running back. The Browns need playmakers and frankly I think that Johnson is the biggest one in the draft.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the #2 spot too high for Julius Peppers?

#3 is not too high for Merriman. Just because all the mock drafts have him going 9th or later doesn't mean he is not worth the pick.

I think all the people who say he isn't worth the pick must not have watched him play at all.

Watch a Texas game, the watch a Maryland game. Tell me who is more impressive. I watched three Texas games this year, and not once was I wowed by DJ. He's quick, but not physical. Merriman is both. Relentless pass rusher, speedy and strong.

Did you see the measurements at the combine? DJ bulked up to 242, but Merriman weighed 272. I don't want to wait 30 pounds for an effective pass rush. I want it now. With Shawne, it's already been broughten.
The Holcombnite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive stated from the beggining that Antrel Rolle is one of those players I believe that we need to pick..his defensve impact would be outstanding down the line, and according to Sanatana Moss, a very fast receiver, "He's Fast."

Hes fast, physically and well built, and there is no shame in picking Antrel in the 3 hole with this undetermined draft.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Antrel, too. But if we could draft Rolle, Pac-man, Carlos Rogers, and Justin Miller it wouldn't make a bit of difference without a pass rush.

Decreasing the amount of time a corner has to cover a reciever greatly increases the chance for success. Not just for the corners, but for the defense as a whole.
docc2183

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked DJ, given that Brown was off the board already. Given the choice, I'd be trying to move down. If I could maybe get # 7 from Minnesota and their second, I'd start thinking about that. Then we could get Merrimen, who seems to be the hot commodity right now. I still don't think that he is worthy of #3 overall, however, #7 doesn't sound quite as bad if we could get another 2nd rounder. Minnesota could then get DJ for themselves, or add another WR.

My choice of DJ is that he is going to be a very good player. I can see him as either an ILB or weakside OLB. Teaming him next to Davis in the middle would be nice, and on the weakside, he could be able to roam across the field. Having Courtney Brown on the strongside OLB to stop the run, and moving Chaun THompson inside would give us a decent enough group of LBs. DJ is also very good at causing turnovers. He had like 9 forced fumbles last year. His size and speed are going to be great assets, but having stayed in college for all 4 years won't hurt either. Remember, he wasn't given the responsibility to rush the passer in college, so he very well could be fine at it. And, he has the frame to add weight, he's 6'4". He could easily move up to 250 and not lose any speed.

I guess my choice of DJ over Merriman is partialy because I don't know much of Merriman, although "Lights Out" does intrigue me. If we stick at 3, and that's a very big "if", and assuming Brown is gone, we will take DJ. I eliminate Rolle, although putting him at free safety would be epic. Or Baxter at FS, but I think he wants to play CB. I eliminate Smith, Edwards, Cadillac and Benson for sure.DJ or Merriman, I don't think we can lose.
thepest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3... 7.... its all the same... No one is going to trade with us before the draft.... and if merriman's our man.... why not be sure and take him? We HAVE to be sure about this draft... We NEED to get back on track. If Merriman's our guy... why not take him? I agree with ditchdigger
lacydog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ, he showed a hell of a lot in the combine. He's a great pickup. We have DLineman (Roye, Lang, Ekuban, McKinley, Word), so unless you want to move Merriman to OLB, it would really be the least effective pick aside from Long-Snapper. We need guys who will make an impact on D, and Roye, Lang, Ekuban and McKinley were all among the Plain Dealer's top 10 Browns at their end-of-the-year review. They play hard. We do need a NT but we need impactful LBs more. Taylor and Bentley aren't going to cut it.
Let's be honest, who's a better OLB: DJ or Merriman.
Merriman is great, but he's not a great fit for us right now. Too many other holes to fill.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that Peppers is a good comparison for Merriman, Peppers was considered the best player in his particular draft so picking him at 2 was not even remotely a stretch. I haven't seen anybody who consider Merriman higher than 9th best player in this draft. Pretty much the consensus best player has been Johnson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: