Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Outsider's Look at Your #3 Pick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idi Amin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Outsider's Look at Your #3 Pick Reply with quote

I figure that Romeo plans on modelling the Browns along the same lines as the Patriots, so with your #3 pick I'm thinking...

They won't take a QB, Smith for the obvious reasons stated, if Rodgers were to fall, Romeo will want to build a powerhouse D then plug in a QB from a later draft pick (I really like the Dilfer pick up)..and it won't help to have a sh-tty O-line in front of him and a mediocre receiving core.

I like Suggs...he hasn't gotten a fair shake imo because of the franchise trying to justify the William Green pick which made no sense to me at the time...not only am I a Miami fan and thought very highly of Portis (Lions pissed me off by passing on him) but he got suspended and the game he missed his crappy BC team almost beat Miami if not for Ed Reed's heroics...made me wonder how much an impact Green really had...back to the point, you have enough holes that even an upgrade at RB in the event Ronnie Brown falls to you, RB is not your main concern

WR is interesting, you got some talent, but no #1. Bryant has always had talent, but he needs to put it together. Winslow and Williams would be a redzone nightmare for any team...just so tempting from my standpoint.

Again, its the wrong year to pick #3 as their is no OL worth taking before #10, so Barron and Brown are out of the picture

The D-line seems to be in shambles especially with the necessary trading of Warren and Brown being on the chopping block...I think Romeo would love to get a stud DL a la Seymour, but this is the wrong year to have the #3 pick.

DJ vs. Rolle

Romeo has made a living taking good LBs and making them play GREAT as a unit...he has never had a DJ, which may make him drool. However, Cleveland has a lot of ability in the LB core and I think romeo beleives he can coach them up and if he gives up on them, it won't be until next year.

I think he sees another Ty Law (but more athletic) and will build his defense around Rolle regardless of the 5 yard rule. Jump all over me if you want to, I just don't see them taking offense and that leaves DJ vs. Rolle and Romeo hasn't had time to work on the field with his new LB core, just has film...if this were next year there would be a higher probability of him taking DJ, but this year its Rolle.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good analasys for an outsider. I just want to respond to a couple of things.

Romeo does not make the pick, and Savage drafts BPA. So whoever he thinks is the best player available, he will take. I am only sure that it will not be Alex Smith. Rodgers is a possibility if he is there, but Ronnie Brown and Shawne Merriman both have the ability to be the lynchpins for their respective sides of the ball for years to come on this team.

DJ has too many question marks for a #3 pick, IMO. If he is still on the board after Miami (or whoever) picks before us, we'll have 15 minutes to find someone (with a 4-3 defense) to trade down with.

We need either an elite rushing attack or pass rush from the first pick. Both would make this team much better.

The defensive line isn't that bad off, we just need a NT to make everything work. Orpheus Roye played end in Pittsburgh's 3-4, and Lang will be around until we can get someone like Jarvis Green. Drafting a big body in the late rounds seems to be the best way to fix the NT problem. After all, the only thing they have to do is take on blocks.

I think 3 is too high to take a corner. Even one like Rolle. We have two physical corners already, we need a speedy cover guy. The second round pick has a few possibilities.

Thanks for your post.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the idea of taking a corner at #3 now, because we signed Gary Baxter... I am also not worried too much about trading down because there should still be a few decent OL left in the 2nd round... It would be nice if we could trade down though and get a couple of 1sts and give up a 3rd or 4th so that we could get Shawne Merriman and maybe Pac-Man Jones, because if he fell to us, we couldnt pass on him, because he is a ballhawk....But we would def. have to pick up Merriman.... But as Ditchdigger said, Savage would pick up BPA and you never know who that could be....

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
harold650

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Only One Comment Reply with quote

I disagree with you in one area, and that is the area of Running Back.

First, the fact that Suggs did not get a fair shake, true or not, must not affect our selection this year. If Ben Hogan had not been hit by a bus, he probably would have won 10 more major golf tournaments. Unfair happens.

If Ronnie Brown is as good as he seems to be, then perhaps he is the best choice given where the Browns play and the weather they play in. He could be a monster advantage to the Browns as an excellent, complete running back and scoring machine. Holding the ball longer on offense also will help any defense, and Ronnie Brown might be the best player available to do just that.

Thanks,

Shocked
dawgdish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idi, I agree with you that we will probably go defense. Personally, I'm a big fan of Suggs, but I would jump all over Ronnie Brown if he fell to us - I think he has more value @ #3 than Rolle or DJ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see any way that Miami does not take Ronnie Brown at #2 (Unless of course Benson goes beserk at pro day)

So do you guys still feel that way if Brown is off the board...do you want Caddilac or Benson over defense?

In regards to Merriman, You also may be able to work out some sort of deal with Minnesota who seems to be making a move for either Brown or DJ up at #2...perhaps offer a deal to move down to #7 and get Merriman - but trading top ten picks is a b-tch...#3 is too high for Merriman, especially if Savage is strictly a BPA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idi Amin wrote:

In regards to Merriman, You also may be able to work out some sort of deal with Minnesota who seems to be making a move for either Brown or DJ up at #2...perhaps offer a deal to move down to #7 and get Merriman - but trading top ten picks is a b-tch...#3 is too high for Merriman, especially if Savage is strictly a BPA.

If we move down to #7, Pac-Man, Rolle, Barron or Mike Williams would all be on my list of guys to look at.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont want us to draft a QB or a WR neither of the QB's in this draft will ever be anything great or lead their team anywhere great. also next year there is the likes of Lienart hometown school QB Omar Jacobs and Brad Smith who is also born and raise in ohio plenty of great QB's next year that will be better than either of these guys. As Far as WR we do NOT need a stud number 1 reciever not with winslow at TE taking away alot of coverage. we have Northcutt Davis and Bryant with a good QB and Winslow taking off alot of pressure this will be a good recieving group also athletes like CJ Jones and Richard Alston where resigned and butch davis's little snitch in the locker room Andre King hasnt been asked back so we have some play makers at WR. Another spot that would be sad to see them draft is HB suggs hasn't had his fair chance and can be a 1300 back if not more easy with a good o line that takes away injuries which none we serious enough to keep him out had he be our starter anyway. Along with suggs echimandu ran tuff the few carries he had and who knows maybe green will run like he did the last 7 games of his rookie season again. We need Defense, mostly run stopping defenders and offensive linemen.

Charger-man thanks for the sweet sig and Scar for the avatar.
harold650

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: IN Answer to Your Question: Reply with quote

No: I don't take Benson or Cadillac at #3 if Ronnie Brown is not available.

He is special enough to take instead of defensive help, but I don't see any others in that category.

Shocked
ClevelanDawg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, just because Suggs didn't get a 'fair shake' at the RB job doesnt change the FACT that Ronnie "Jim" Brown would make us the best team we are capable of being. History means nothing to Savage and Crennel, see Big Money.

If Ronnie is gone, I say we do everything we can to get Minnesotta to bite on a trade, to prevent Chicago from getting a player they covet. Maybe give them a more than fair deal, dont ask too much.
If we can move down, it comes down to PacMan or Rolle (whichever the titans pass on) or Merriman.

But I am hoping Miami does the better job of convincing a team to move up for DJ, so we can get Ronnie Brown. IF nobody has noticed, I really want the Browns to make the commitment this year to field an elite running attack.

If not Ronnie B, and we cant trade down, I would pull for a stud defensive back, preferably Rolle, to team up with Sean Jones, and Baxter and form the AFC North's premier defensiec backfield--one that stops the run with an attitude.

So, in summation my first round hopes are as follows:

1. Ronnie "Jim" Brown @ #3
1a. Trade down for Merriman
2. Trade down for Rolle or Pac Man
3. Merriman @ #3
4. Rolle @ #3
5. DJ @ #3

But, Idi Amin, good stuff.
I appreciate all of you who are realizing how good we would be with Ronnie B.

Last edited by ClevelanDawg on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm startin to like Merriman a lot...

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: