Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Need an Opinion on this mock before I post it elsewhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Need an Opinion on this mock before I post it elsewhere Reply with quote

Trades
-Vikings trade #17, and their second rounder Moe Williams, Mike Bennett, and their second round pick for the number 2 overall selection and Junior Seau.
-Patriots Trade pick number 32 and a the 64th selection to Washington for the 9th pick and a future first round pick
-Lions trade 10th overall selection to St. Louis for the 19th and Kyle Turley
1.49íers
Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
The 49íers need a quarterback. Rattay has flashed promise, but there are questions about his health at this point in his career, which is never a good sign. They could and should go Alex Smith at this point, but they wont, the guy from cal will always attract more attention for a cal team
2.Vikings (via Miami)
Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
The Vikings pull a big move here, trading up to get DJ, and acquire a veteran linebacker, something they need desperately. The Seau element will be similar to the Jerry Rice to Seattle trade. But back to DJ. He will add the never say die element to the Vikings core, and will make an immediate impact
3.Browns
Mike Williams, WR, USC
Ok, Cleveland has problems all over, they can really go anywhere with this pick.
Lee Suggs will get the starting spot this year, so they wont draft a hb, and with DJ gone, there isnít a linebacker worth the pick. So do what Arizona did, draft a second good receiver (I think Bryant is going to be quite good with a legitimate qb, Dilfer may of may not be that person). Further evidence of this pick is that they signed Dilfer, who is by no means a great qb, so they want to give him all the weapons they can. This pick would fix the offense (Bryant, Williams, and WinslowÖpretty sweet)
4.Chicago Bears
Ronnie Brown, HB, Auburn
Da bears could certainly bite for Cedric Benson, but Ronnie had a killer combine and has been said to be the best prospect at running back in the draft by people as of late. Lets face it people, A Train is pretty much gone, and TJ really isnít the back people thought he would be, so they go for the big fast guy here. Ronnie can come in immediately and contribute, and it will help Grossman ALOT to have a runner behind him. Look for the bears to go after Roddy White at the beginning of the second to address the receiving need
5. Buccaneers
Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
Ok, well, they said to Caddy that they were going to pick him, but after talking to a couple of bucs fans, I donít believe it. The bucs will get a great redzone threat, and now the teams wont know where the goal line un is coming from-Allscott or Benson. This will make for a good scoring offense, and open up the passing lanes for Brian Griese to hook up with Mike Clayton
6.Titans
Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
Tennessee misses Derrick Mason. They miss Samari more. So in with one Rolle and out with the other. Antrel is a monster hitter, and oh yeah, he can cover. In my mind, he is one of the best prospects at corner back in a few years. Look for him to make a Shaun Taylor like impact(although certainly it wont be as big STís was)
7.Vikings
Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
The Vikings get 2 top ten picks, and they already got the guy they really wanted, so they address another need. Well, it looks like McCombs isnít willing to go after Plax at this point, and that makes wr a need. Braylon is a great target, and might just be better than Mike Williams. Might. But yeah, Nate Burleson gets a good receiver to play next to him again, and both of them should have big years if Dante is really as good as we think, even without Moss that is. Another thing that is pushing me towards this is the fact that the Vikings seem to be unwilling to resign Jermaine Wiggins, Danteís favorite target, so they need to get him another toy to play with
8.Arizona
Pac Man Jones, CB, West Virginia
The Cards said good-bye to Duane Starks, and there really isnít another talented corner on the active roster. So, they go to the speedster from WV. Pac Man will need to work on his coverage skills, but he has all the physical tools, except height.
9. Patriots (from Washington)
Alex Barron, FSU
The redskins trade down to get younger, and some of the players they need will still be there and number 32, so they pick up a second rounder in addition to getting some youth. With the rest of the team seemingly stacked, the patriots go after one glaring hole; offensive line. They get a man from Florida who is a monster physically, and will work training him up. If it works on the later round guys, it will work with Barron.
10.St Louis (From Lions)
Carlos Rodgers, Auburn
St Louis gets rid of a problem in Mike Martzís eyes, and get into an area when they can draft an impact player. The rams have addressed their line backing problems, so they go after someone who can cure the defensive backfieldís woes. Carlos will make a name for himself eventually in the gateway to the west, feasting on the fact 2 out of 3 of their rivals lack a talented receiver, and help them play against the team that can cause them the most problems because of their lack of a db; the Cardinals.
11.Cowboys
Shawne Merrimen, OLB/DE, Maryland
Bill Parcells gets his linebacker here. While not huge, he certainly isnít as small as the Dallas core has been for the past couple of years. This pick is a win in either situation, if he plays linebacker, good, they could use him there, but if he turns out to be a better end, they need someone there as well. He is a pass rushing monster, and a rush from the line backing (which is where I think he will end up) position would be very usefull for a line that has underachieved.
12.Chargers
Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
The chargers had a very good year running the 3-4, but the pass defense was lacking. Something that can really help that is by landing the best pass rushing DE prospect in the draft. James gets to the qb, he may not tackle him, but he can certainly force a lot of bad throws, which in turn can be picked off or batted away.
13.Texans
Jaamal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
The Texans wanted to get Alex Barron, but because of an aggressive move by the patriots, they have to go to the next best OT in the draft, otherwise David Carr is going to be killed. Brown isnít the biggest or the strongest, but he has quick feet and is very agile. He used these talents to win the Outland Trophy. He will contribute instantly, but some question his upsideÖ
14.Panthers
Cadillac Williams, RB, Auburn
The panthers had a miracle year with Nick Goings, but its not quite known if he can do it again, and Stephen Davisís health is a question. Deshaun Foster proved he couldnít take a beating last year, so he will remain the second cog in the running game. Caddy will come in and will split the first string carries with Davis, learning behind his fellow Auburn running back, or start ahead of Foster.
15.Kansas City
Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
Holiday is gone. There isnít anyone worth it at corner at this point (Although I think they will trade up into the early second and grab a corner), so they go get someone who is known for stuffing the run. Spears will give them a immediate lift, helping them against a division contains some very good half backs, and one team that seems to produce them every year.
16.Saints
Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
The Saints need a playmaker bad; Miller is one. He is fast and quick, physical and loves to hit, a rare combination. He needs to learn when to gamble and when to give up, but otherwise he is a very good prospect, and might be the surprise of the draft. He might not contribute for a few years, but he will eventually.
17.Bengals
Travis Johnson, DT, FSU
The jungle has needed a premier DT for a long time, and they get what they needed here. There are some issues around Johnson, some character flaw things, but he has hopefully matured for the Bengalís sake. Johnson is very quick and has a great initial bust, a rarity at the DT position. Concerns aside, Johnson is still a great prospect
18.Dolphina
Alex Smith, QB, Utah
The dolphins need to make this pick count, and they do with the selection of Smith. Smith may just be the best player in the draft, but because he plays in a small school, he isnít garnering the attention he should. Feely is nothing, Fielder is gone, and the offense is in desperate need on a lift. They acquire two running backs who can get it done in the Minnesota trade, but they still need a field general to run the offense.
19.Lions (via St Louis)
Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
The lions trade down and acquire Kyle Turley, who is worth the risk if healthy. But if not, they still fill a need by drafting Thomas Davis, who will take care of the defensive backfield problems. He might not be the prospect Roy Williams or Sean Taylor was, but he is good
20.Dallas (From Bills)
Justin Tuck, DE, Notre Dame
Dallas needs help on the line. Itís that simple. Tuck isnít as bulky as you would like, but lightning quick and is a prolific sack artist. They donít make them like this, and we would be talking about him like Julius Peppers if it werenít for his lack of bulk/ strength.
21. Jags
David Pollack, DE, Georgia
The jags have trouble at the end position; they have for a while now. They need an impact player, and they might have found that person in Pollack. While he doesnít have the speed, is motor doesnít stop, and he has a never say die attitude that is inspiring to watch
22.Ravens
Channing Crowner, ILB, Florida
With Hartwell gone, the ravens look to find his replacement. They have likely found him in Channing Crowner. He ver fast for a MLB, and has a plethora of physical ability. He has a ton of upside, and will do what Ed Hartwell did well
23.Seahawks
Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
The hawks get my personal favorite defensive line prospect in Dan Cody. Cody has great instincts and may not have the 40 time, but he is as quick as anyone. The best aspect of Cody is that he always plays his heart out, and it doesnít matter how big the offensive linemen is, he will run into him like a man possessed
24.Packers
Bryant McFadden, CB, FSU
The pack has problems on the defensive side of the ball, and they need help in the worst way. After finally shipping McKenzie out, they get some help here. McFadden is a physical player who can play bump and run well. He doesnít have the speed, but he hustles and there isnít really a burner who has come into his own in the NFC North, with Mossís departure.
25.Denver
Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
With an ageing Rod Smith, an underachieving Lelie, and a promising Watts, this core may be solidified with the addition of another deep threat. With this core of wide receivers, the excuses for Plummer would be gone, and everyone would have to achieve, otherwise some cuts will be made
26.Jets
Brandon Browner, CB, Oregon St
The Jets have a ton of solid guys in the secondary, but they lack another playmaker.
Browner has size and skills to be that playmaker. The only knock on him is his speed, and within the division he will gave a ton of speedy receivers, such as Deion Branch and Chris Chambers. But, if he has the drive to overcome that, he will be a solid fit.
27.Falcons
Brodney Poole, S, Oklahoma
The flacons improved drastically with the hiring of Jim Mora, on both sides of the ball. Many people would want a receiver here, but it might be a waste, since they donít know if the lack of a premier passing attack is from Vick or the receivers. With the uncertainty, the best bet is to go to the safe pick. Brodney is an impact player who will help the dirty birdies already good defense from day 1 on training camp. He may be the biggest late 1st round gem in the draft
28.Chargers
Demarcus Ware, DE, Troy St
With the elite receivers gone, they opt for another pass rusher. Ware is very raw, but with some NFL development, he might just become something special. And he guarantees the chargers will have at least one great pass rusher
29.Colts
Marlin Jackson, WR, Michigan
The colts drafted some good young defensive backs in the past couple of years, but they need one true difference maker. The elite ones are gone, but they go after a potentially great one in Marlin. While still raw, he has a ton of upside
30.Steelers
Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
There isnít a linebacker worth picking here, so they opt for another weapon for Rothlisberger. Sure handed Heath Miller should do for Ben what Jermaine Wiggins did for Dante Culpeper.
31.Eagles
Darryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia
He is very raw, but he is excellent on the blitz and will fit into Jim Johnsonís blitzing scheme, and will do very well in an already stacked Eagles defense. He cannot cover the run, but Trotter can certainly take care of that
32.Washington (Via Patriots)
Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
While undersized, he is a very good target, and has the speed and hands to beat almost every DB in the NFL. Actually, his size was an advantage at times in college, White would throw it low to him and the bigger dbís couldnít make a play on a ball thrown that low. Still, Durability is a concern, and he will need to be as tough as nails to survive in this league with his size.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the trades are realistic.

You do not see trades in the NFL that involve 3 players trading places. Also, the Vikings have no need for Seau AND Johnson. They have a couple young LB's already, added another in Harris in the Moss trade, and then you have them drafting Johnson. They dont need that many LB's.

Also, that Patriot trade is nowhere near realistic. You must have left something out. 32 and 64 by itself is not worth #9, let alone Washington sending back a first rounder. A first rounder in the next year is worth a second rounder in the current draft. So basically, you have the Pats trading the last pick in the first round and a second rounder for a top 10 pick and a second rounder. The Skins would laugh if that deal were proposed.

Also, the Patriots would not trade up for Barron. He's more of an athlete first than an offensive lineman. The Pats will take a football player first, and their offensive line is built around a system where it does not require a lot of talent. They wouldnt trade up into the top 10 for a lineman.
andrew91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
None of the trades are realistic.

You do not see trades in the NFL that involve 3 players trading places. Also, the Vikings have no need for Seau AND Johnson. They have a couple young LB's already, added another in Harris in the Moss trade, and then you have them drafting Johnson. They dont need that many LB's.

Also, that Patriot trade is nowhere near realistic. You must have left something out. 32 and 64 by itself is not worth #9, let alone Washington sending back a first rounder. A first rounder in the next year is worth a second rounder in the current draft. So basically, you have the Pats trading the last pick in the first round and a second rounder for a top 10 pick and a second rounder. The Skins would laugh if that deal were proposed.

Also, the Patriots would not trade up for Barron. He's more of an athlete first than an offensive lineman. The Pats will take a football player first, and their offensive line is built around a system where it does not require a lot of talent. They wouldnt trade up into the top 10 for a lineman.

The Baron thing was a wish, I have written in my text doument fix it lol
And I disagree, if you diidnt read the comment I said that that element of the trade would be similar to the Rice to Seattle, they are not getting him for his playing, but rather his leadership and vetran pressence. I have to patch it up, but I also didint want to make a cookie cutter draft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with Seau, you don't make a big trade like and add a player in solely for his veteran leadership. A trade involving big picks will just involve players with actual value on the field. Maybe they trade just a 5th rounder for some vet leadership, but it wouldn't be something they ask to include in a blockbuster trade.

As for Barron, I think everyone wishes for a great athlete at LT. But the Pats dont seem to value it. Matt Light isn't a veryg ood athlete, he's just a solid football player. We wouldn't shift him over to RT for Barron. With Ashworth being given the tender, and Gorin re-signed, I think Belichick is fine at tackle, at least among our first 3. Anyone else would be just for depth. If we draft a player, I think it would be a tackle with the idea of moving him inside to guard. So I dont think it would happen in the first round, let alone with a trade up.
andrew91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input RD, like I said, this was just a intial draft, thats why I didint post it in the mock forum, dont need coyboys fans ripping me up..heh
Well, I'll amend this, but the core will remain the same

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Pats trade will happen at all. And if we traded up at all I would hope we got Derrick Johnson.

Jgoldiscool on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: