Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You CLE Fans don't want Alex Smith???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: You CLE Fans don't want Alex Smith??? Reply with quote

Your probably right.... hes not worthy enough to play for you guys...nor is he worth your 1st round pick... i mean what did he do this year anyway???

3000 yards
67.5 comp %
32 TD's
4 ints
176.5 QB rating

Hes sucks... i sure wouldn't want to build my team around a guy like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LT22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

College stats mean nothing. He played in a wide open offense in a poor defensive conference.

I do not like Smith at all.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriot why do you keep beating a dead horse we don't want a QB at number 3...do you not understand english?Also why are you so concerned about our QB situation?
deputy382

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: No QB Reply with quote

We have had good QB's in the past ala Kosar. These days the draft is not the only way to get a QB. I wuld rather search around for a former stater to give the younger players something to learn by.
travis1metallic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: NO QB WITH 3RD PICK Reply with quote

IN MY OPINION WE SHOULD DRAFT ROLLE WITH THE 3RD PICK IF WE CANT TRADE DOWN. WE CAN GET A QB IN A LATER ROUND. I GUESS DILFER WILL HAVE TO DO FOR THE TIME BEING. ROLLE AND BAXTER ALONG WITH DAYLON. WE GO AFTER A LB IN FA AND ADDRESS OL IN SECOND ROUND.
deputy382

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: No QB or CB Reply with quote

I'd Go for DJ in the 1st round. We need a run stopping LB. This is our man.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with DJ, Rolle, Merriman or Brown in that order. But would have a hard time dealing with the Browns taking one of the QB's available in the early first.
BrownOrangeBurgundyGold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing, we don't need a rookie version of Jeff Garcia. Period. Smith is overrated and overhyped. Defense wins games, and hopefully that's what Savage and Crennel focus on come draft day.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: No QB or CB Reply with quote

deputy382 wrote:

Did you watch the Red River Shootout?

250+ yards by a freshman running back on a Texas defense that had more than one player with first round talent. DJ was taken out of plays repeatedly, buckling under instead of fighting through blocks.

DJ earned his notariety for his speed, quickness and uncanny ability to cause turnovers, not his strength at the line of scrimmage. He is better in coverage than run stuffing. His weakness at the point of attack is the thing that worries me, and most likely any coach wanting to run the 3-4.

What good is having a good athlete if he doesn't fit the scheme? It's the same argument I have made against Alex Smith. I don't think DJ could come to Cleveland and have immediate success. Antrel Rolle would be a much better fit, but what good does having good corners do without a pass rush?

The player in the draft that could have the most immediate (and long term) impact is Shawne Merriman. You can argue all you want that he isn't worth the 3rd pick, but you're wasting your breath. Think what Julius Peppers could do in the 3-4 and you'll get a good idea of what Shawne brings. That is worth the #3. But only if Ronnie Brown is taken.
rblevens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: No QB or CB Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
deputy382 wrote:

Did you watch the Red River Shootout?

250+ yards by a freshman running back on a Texas defense that had more than one player with first round talent. DJ was taken out of plays repeatedly, buckling under instead of fighting through blocks.

DJ earned his notariety for his speed, quickness and uncanny ability to cause turnovers, not his strength at the line of scrimmage. He is better in coverage than run stuffing. His weakness at the point of attack is the thing that worries me, and most likely any coach wanting to run the 3-4.

What good is having a good athlete if he doesn't fit the scheme? It's the same argument I have made against Alex Smith. I don't think DJ could come to Cleveland and have immediate success. Antrel Rolle would be a much better fit, but what good does having good corners do without a pass rush?

The player in the draft that could have the most immediate (and long term) impact is Shawne Merriman. You can argue all you want that he isn't worth the 3rd pick, but you're wasting your breath. Think what Julius Peppers could do in the 3-4 and you'll get a good idea of what Shawne brings. That is worth the #3. But only if Ronnie Brown is taken.

Hmm...no offense Ditch but it seems that you change your mind a lot. A couple of days ago you loved DJ, so I post a bunch of negative stuff about him and say that you should draft Merriman, and now you are repeating that info. lol jk

Now if only everyone else can realize that DJ can't play in a 3-4...at least I got the mod to believe me...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fickle like that.

My reason? I was under a spell. I thought that since we need linebackers, we should probably get the guy all the experts said was the best. I watched a few Texas games last year. He made some very big highlight reel type plays at times, but got bowled over when ran straigt at. Since I saw Ray Lewis have the same problems against KC on MNF, I didn't hold that against him too much at first. But the more I read about him, the less I liked. "Visual learner" to me means "Can't read too well".

But when he said he was "unblockable", I changed my mind completely. That is ridiculous for him to even make such an assertion, showing he either:

A. Honestly belives his success running around blocks will continue at the pro level.
B. Thinks people ignored all the times he was blocked and focused on the one or two stripped balls a game.
C. Is too cocky to play for Romeo.
D. Is genuinely stupid.
E. All of the above.

Take your pick, but any of them are enough to make me stay away if I'm Phil Savage.

He just has too many questions surrounding him for a top 3 pick. Can he fit? How much weight does he need to put on? Will he still have his quickness with that weight? Does he play outside or inside?

Right now, there are two players in my mind that have more answers than questions. Ronnie Brown and Shawne Merriman. Both those players fit, and both can have an immediate impact. It is only a matter of how the top 2 picks play out.

Of course, I could change my mind again. Razz
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright this will be my last comment on Alex.

First of all im so interested in the browns QB issue because i want to see Romeo have success with you guys. I love that man!

2nd, college stats do mean something. Thats just silly. If you have 3 QBs of equal intelligence, arm streght and accuracy. But QB, A had 35 tds, B had 28 TD's and C had 23 TD's...who will be the first QB taken in that draft???

9 times out of 10 it will be A. Please give me your reasons why you think college numbers aren't important.

Also,... a rookie Garcia? Jeff wasn't even close to as good as Alex as a rookie. Jeff had to go to the CFL for gods sake. Right now Alex smith has better Mechanics and arm Strenght then Garcia.

I just don't know why you guys don't want to have a great QB. Whatever team gets him is going to have a guy throwing 28 TDs for them every year. Hes a model football player, great attitude and he finished his degree at Utah in 2 years. So all hes been doing for the last year is thinking about football. He also had over a 1000 yards rushing in his two seasons starting for Utah and 15 rushing TD's...

Like, WHY IS THIS NOT APEALING TO A TEAM WITH AN AVERAGE QB!

lol , sorry.

Just what i think, remember im not being negitive, i do want to see the browns do well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the key is that none of us seem to think that he is or ever will be a great quarterback unlike you who describe him as great repeatedly
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, and thats ok. But you need to tell me WHY you think hes not going to be a great QB.

Thanks
docc2183

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One, I think DJ could play in a 3-4 because I think he's a playmaker. He might be better suited for a 4-3, but from what I've seen and heard, he's the real deal.

As for Smith, he might be a good QB but he doesn't project to be the best player available at the #3 pick. If we got him at around #10-#12, I could see that being valuable. Just remember Tom Brady. While you did have Bledsoe running the show when you drafted him, he came in as a 6th rounder or 7th rounder and made an impact. That's what we're trying to do. We got Dilfer, and while he's not going to be a Pro Bowler, he can run the show for a while until we find that person we need.

What we've been trying to spell out is that Snith doesn't project to what WE think we are trying to do. While he is an intelligent player, he doesn't seem to have the arm strength or pocket presence needed in our offense. And I think it says a lot about him that he decided to enter the draft this year. Everyone knows he runs a "gimmick" offense at Utah, and as soon as Coach Meyer jumped to UF, he was gone. He didn't want to stay around and lose his value in a real offense. I know he already has his degree and that he projected as a top 10 pick, but I don't think 1 good year of college football is enough for me, or any of us here.

Finally, I'm still getting over Tim Couch. That might be my biggest reason not to take a QB so early. I don't want to lose out on another high draft pick bust, and quite frankly, Smith has the look to possibly be a bust. A more sure-fire bet would be R Brown, DJ, Merriman, or M Williams, and I think with all of those question marks around Smith we will avoid him. I'm not saying he won't be good, but his game seemingly doesn't translate to what we're trying to do here. We'd be much better off trying to find a big, strong-armed pocket passer like A Walter later on.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: