You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MIKE HUFF CAN'T TACKLE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rooster7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: MIKE HUFF CAN'T TACKLE! Reply with quote

With all of the talk that the Lions should draft Huff, does it concern anyone that the guy can't tackle? Seriously, any game or highlight reel I have watched of him, he tackles people up around the head or shoulders, not the waist or legs. I recently heard Darren Woodson on ESPN draft special that Mike Huff is a guy who doesn't miss tackles. Well when you are playing in college you rarely will with his talent. But when he gets to the NFL where there are stronger players what is going to happen. The perfect example was in the Rose Bowl when he went high on LenDale White and was stiff armed right to the ground like he wasn't even there. What is going to happen when he tries to tackle someone like Larry Johnson up around the shoulders? I wouldn't want this guy being my last line of defense with tackling like that.
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
S-Cobar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie Henderson is big on fundamentals... he'll review tackling in training camp.. as well as the rest of the team... should the Lions draft him...
Rooster7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but it is hard to teach these guys to tackle after they have been doing it a certain way for so long. Most NFL players still can't tackle worth a crap. LenDale only had like 14 bench presses and still stiff armed him like he was a little kid. And 14 is the same number of the USC punter, not an NFL running back.
LIONStoDETROIT05

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt the exact same thing said last year of Derrick Johnson?

Thanks Dcowboy
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that Johnson is a linebacker that has been playing his position for years. Huff has not, and could be moved to cornerback if it's discovered that he can't tackle.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Lions' coaches can reteach him the fundamentals he missed at Texas - a school, incidentally, which treats fundamentals like GW Bush treats introspection.
mattmc20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seperates a superstar athlete from an average athlete? Simple, their ability to learn. I like Huff, I like the way he plays/carries himself/presents himself. In every interview i have ever heard of him, he seems like a student of the game. Well, if you have read any articles about the lions mini camp, you have read that Donnie Henderson has been spending TONS of time going over how you tackle. In fact, some Lions were complaining how boring the practices were. Putting those 2 things together, even if Huff does tackle high (which i cannot confirm since i've not seen enough of his season) he seems like the type of athlete that isn't too proud to change his game, and would be willing to relearn some of the more simplistic facets of the game. If he doesn't he will just be another failure in the history of Matt Millen. BUT, I do not believe that will happen. I see him as the type of player that will do what it takes to prove himself in the league. Besides, if he wants to be the best safety in the league he is going to have to beat out Roy Williams, and that is where i see the grudge between Texas and Oklahoma shining through, he wont want to be shown up by a OU alumni.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster7 wrote:
Yeah but it is hard to teach these guys to tackle after they have been doing it a certain way for so long. Most NFL players still can't tackle worth a crap. LenDale only had like 14 bench presses and still stiff armed him like he was a little kid. And 14 is the same number of the USC punter, not an NFL running back.

I have been thinking that maybe White is trying to make sure he ends up on like Denver or Indy. I know money is important to people but he may want to be on a winner now .

AAL- Abdullah

Tigers suck. Thanks DD for never getting bull pen
DetroitLIons

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he made one tackle in the rose where , either byrd or white tried to stiff him , but he still pulled them down .. im sure he can change his tackling style, especially if he wants to last in the league .. thats the least of his problems ...
nb5005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can tackle he just is not the hard hitter like most safeties. His speed more than makes up for those flaws.
thenick_1999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Rooster7 wrote:

I have been thinking that maybe White is trying to make sure he ends up on like Denver or Indy. I know money is important to people but he may want to be on a winner now .

Laughing Laughing Laughing NO WAY. There is no possible way he is trying to purposely sabotage his draft stock. Thats the most far fetched thing I have ever heard. Even if he was hes going to slip to the second and go to an even crappier team.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenick_1999 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Rooster7 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing NO WAY. There is no possible way he is trying to purposely sabotage his draft stock. Thats the most far fetched thing I have ever heard. Even if he was hes going to slip to the second and go to an even crappier team.

He will be drafted in first round no matter what...he is only true power back in the draft.

AAL- Abdullah

Tigers suck. Thanks DD for never getting bull pen
thenick_1999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
thenick_1999 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Rooster7 wrote:

He will be drafted in first round no matter what...he is only true power back in the draft.

There has been a lot of talk that he may have slipped to the 2nd.
Idi Amin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that has concerned me...not just that stiff arm play, but if you all remember, LenDale was running over fools all day...except it wasn't fools it was fool - Huff. Huff got dominated (like Rod Wright) in that game - he got Bo Jacksoned. He isn't big for a FS, cause he was a CB so I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't just convert one of our CBs or draft a CB to convert - would there be any difference? maybe not, neither would be able to tackle. That is the main reason why i've been iffy on Huff and always wanted Ngata.

Huff did do a great job covering Bush out of the backfield...but this guy is no Ed Reed. Ed Reed wins games, he makes the big play-and takes it all the way back....he did that at Miami, he does that in Baltimore. I don't get that 'game breaker' feeling from Huff. Maybe it was the system and we can let him freelance cause we got Kenoy. as much as I like him, I'm just not 100% sold on him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL he can tackle, they said last night he was one of the better one on one tacklers lol matter of fact it was him who laid the hit on White that stop him on 4th down.

Give me a break he cant tackle lol what a joke that is man~

NEXT TIME STOMP ON HIM GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH ALL I AM SAYING ABOUT IT!
Pistol_Pete2004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Marinelli and Henderson at the helm of that D, i would not worry about tackling. They will work with that entire team, and everyone will be better with the fundamentals.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: