Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings considering trading up for......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyDrilliams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Vikings considering trading up for...... Reply with quote

A RUNNING BACK?!

From rotoworld:
The Vikings are reportedly considering trading up in the draft to draft a running back.
Minnesota may use a revolutionary five-tailback formation as their base offense. Adding a rookie runner would be terrible news for Onterrio Smith and Michael Bennett, and makes absolutely no sense to us. So the Vikings will probably do it.

Now..... why would the Vikings trade up for a running back when they have Smith and Bennett? They both are decent runningbacks that can carry a load.... if anything, they should trade up for Derrick Johnson or one of the WR's. Very shocking news to me....
UtBDan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason they would do that is to use that quote unquote "revolutionary five-tailback formation", and I highly doubt that'll happen.
Vikings fan.
Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UtBDan wrote:
the only reason they would do that is to use that quote unquote "revolutionary five-tailback formation", and I highly doubt that'll happen.

it was in either the star trib. or the pioneer press today...but still....the vikes are known for blowing smoke come draft time so nobody knows what were gonna do (remember inviting only kennedy, then drafting Kevin williams when kennedy was still on the board?)

Here's to football!

Ndakasimba kana makasimbawo
Helter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds just stupid enough for them to do
nickelpete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine a position that would be a more foolish waste of the #7 pick for the Vikes than to grab a halfback... except punter maybe...

I bet the ViQueens are blowing smoke. If they are, it's a good move.
Picture this, convince teams that want one of the big three HB to move up or potentially swap with us. (If the 3 HB's go before us, it guarantees we get either one of the big WRs, one of the top CBs or Derrick Johnson...) Furthermore, best case scenario. Arizona and the Sheriff have their eye on a halfback--they think we'll take one or trade the pick to someone else who will. Denny panicks and gives us a fourth or third rounder to flop positions and we still get a guy we want (We did it last year with Miami and still got Udeze.)

Or maybe the Vikings are just being stupid... They do have a long history of it...
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Theres no chance of this happening. And if it does, its OBVIOUS that McCombs wants to screw this team completely before he sells it. If so, I hope he gets assassinated.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I know this is stupid, but let's suspend reality for a few moments and look at the merits of a 5 running back offense.

It would have to look something like this (I'm assuming that Kleinsasser would be a FB in the scenario since I'm sure they'd need more blocking and I'm assuming they get Benson)

----Kleinsasser----McKinnie----Liewenski----Birk----Goldberg----Rosenthall

-----------------------------------------------Culpepper

-------------------------------------------------Smith

--------------------------------------Bennett-----------Moore

------------------------------------------------Benson

I believe that you must always have 6 players on the line of scrimmage, and this is the only way you achieve that with 5 backs. That leaves Burleson out in the cold, but it could present some very interesting matchups. With Bennett's speed, he could be a big pass catching threat, Moore would be the biggest threat out of the backfield, Smith and Kleinsasser would more than likely block for Benson, but Smith would also see a fair share of carries. Culpepper is like a running back at times. This also presents all sorts of Motion opportunities to confuse the defense.

The Option doesn't work in the NFL, and I really don't know about this. But then again, when has a team ever had 5 quality running backs on the roster to try it? I'm not saying I'm in favor of this, but if they do happen to select a RB without trading Bennett and or Smith (Which I do not think will happen) this must be the direction they want to go in. Who knows, maybe Loney thinks he can pull it off. On the Bright Side, it would almost certainly mean that we'd have an entirely new coaching staff after next season.

Back to reality, this will not happen. Tice is too insecure in his job as it is to risk a complete and total failure. Vikings fans wouldn't tolerate it and I don't think a new owner would either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: