Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest Need on Defense...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delakev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Biggest Need on Defense... Reply with quote

A lot of people think that we should address our OLB need first and foremost. While I can't say I would be extremely disappointed w/ DJ, but I would love Ronnie Brown or Williams. I personally think we need a Strong Safety first and foremost. Sure when Urlacher went out, teams ran all over us, but I just don't think Mike Green or R-Dub taking care of it. I wouldn't mind someone like Shazor in the second, and taking a running back in the 4th. I mean by taking a WR in the first, we take a starter, SS in the second we get another starter, and a RB in the 4th we get our backup. How did I do?

Thanks so much Scar!!
lance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much analysis rates DJ as the best player in this years draft. Hopefully you will not draft early very often. But when you do, and the best player in the draft is available and fills one of your needs ... Besides, I keep having visions of Wilbur Marshall in the opposing teams backfield!
DABEARS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont understand the fascination with a safety in the second - mike green was like third on the team in tackles last year - hes not amazing but that is not an immediate need - he is a solid starter. We need a olb that can shed some blocks but i cant see the bears using too many picks on d - the media will be all over them if they pick d. i would not mind rb in the 4th though either because we just need a good backup.
delakev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike Green did have a good year as far as tackles went, but I can not tell you how many times he bit on a fake, or wasn't even in the picture. Like I've said, I would like to see WR, then RB, then maybe a Guard/LB/SS in the fourth. I think it is impertinent that we solve the Offensive woes before we make our D 100%.

Thanks so much Scar!!
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DABEARS on not picking up a strong safety with the 2nd round pick, but I also believe it is a need. Mike Green is an average, and at times, good player, but he isn't the big hitter or ballhawk that is needed beside brown to make this an elite defense. I would hope and pray SS Jamal Brimmer is available in the fourth, but I would highly doubt. His stock has dropped, but he's too good to go that far.
dacoach13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with delakev, if shazor is there in the 2nd angelo & co. should give him some serious thought. you guys are right in that ss isnt the biggest need but shazor has some serious star potential. he is tall(6'4'), fast, and has way better ball skills than j. brimmer, who in my opinion is exactly like green & gray (practicaly the same player) in that they support the run fine but are clueless against the pass. shazor also takes away matchup problems given by tall te's. what do you guys think about michael boley from southern miss, i doubt he would be there in the 4th but he is a fast, somewhat undersized, playmaker who i think would step right in at the will 'backer spot.
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not move R.W. to safety... then put Peanut and Vasher at corner. Then they should make Azumah the nickel back and Green should ride the pine. Vasher is a playmaker and needs to be on the field - he's young and he'll make some mistakes, but the man makes plays. Do this and now we don't need to waste the second round pick on a DB. Grab Ronnie Brown (if he's available), or Mike Williams with the first pick, then a TE or OLB in the second round.
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought RW played saftey like crap last year, lots of missed tackles!
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole defense played like crap last year... compared to what they are capable of. I think McQuarters has the ability to play safety... and don't you think he would do a better job than Green??
Mountain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike green is pretty good for being last picked in the draft.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for being last picked in the draft.

you can't use that as a qualifier... either he's good, or he's not - doesn't matter where you were drafted on Sunday afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent DB... but not a playmaker.
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dacoach13, I don't know where you got the idea that Jamal Brimmer is similar to mike green or gray, but you were sadly misinformed. Brimmer has very good instincts as a safety and carries his intelligence as one of his better traits. He sees plays develop quickly and adapts. The only reason he dropped is because he does not have the physical ability of the other safeties. I have know clue where you got the idea that he is clueless against the pass. While not athletically gifted, Brimmer has Mike Brown's intelligence and instincts paired with bobby gray's tenacity and tackling ability. He may not be able to use his physical gifts to cover up mistakes a la urlacher, but he is smart enough to limit them and play more efficiently. Shazor may have the tools to dominate at safety or linebacker, but tools aren't neccessarily the best valuator of a good football player. Check out Mike Brown. Average athletic ability great instincts and intelligence. good-very good starter. I am not saying that Shazor won't be great, but without the smarts and instincts developed, he is more of a project at this point. Do you really want to waste a 2nd round pick on a project when there are so many needs(with better players) on the team. That's why it's smarter to see if a brimmer would fall then to reach for a Shazor. The bears are playing to win, not develop. They did that last year.
delakev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrlacher-

I think RW is a pretty good cover corner, but the guy can not tackle for crap. Even as a DB he struggles against the run, and I have seen more mistackles out of him that anyone on the team. I think Green is better against the run, but he can't cover. It is sort of pick your poison. In Lovie's Cover 2 I'd rather see RW back there, but that doesn't mean we can upgrade the postion with a natural Safety and cut RW's huge salary for being the dime back and PR.

Thanks so much Scar!!
Bernie Mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should Cut RDub and start vasher.
Ryno53

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: defense Reply with quote

R-dub sucks. He's been [inappropriate/removed]-poor on his pass coverage this past year. Even he admitted that! He can't tackle worth a damn and he's getting old. At least he returns punts. That's about all he's good for.

On a more possitive note, I think the Bears have a good chance to upgrade at the strong saftey or linebacker position through the draft.
We should be fine at the corners with Peanut, Zoom, and Vash as a nickelback. I hope Mike Brown will be back to par, and the SS position should be a battle with Green, Gray, and hopefully a rookie to compete for the job. Say bye bye to Todd Johnson who was another waste of a pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: