You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Morris vrs Smith's...... Gathers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quiller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Morris vrs Smith's...... Gathers Reply with quote

All camp I have heard the pundits praise Rod Smith and his ability to run the ball. I have also heard how well Morris was running and hitting the hole. I think it is clear at this point one of these two running backs is going to back up Elliot. After watching the HOF game it was clear to me that Morris is the better runner. Smith ran well, but did not create in the hole as well as Morris, or show the burst of speed that is needed in real time to get through the hole or get to the outside in a regular game.

Who to we end up keeping as our back up, it comes down to a numbers game I think, and is Morris too valuable a back to let go and have him hurt us with another team. I think also we are gonna keep Kevin Smith as a FB.. so just how many can we keep.... if keeping Elliot Rod Morris and Kevin means we can't keep Gathers then what. I saw enough of Gathers in his ability to catch the ball to want him on the rooster for red zone and 4th down plays depending upon match ups. This game also showed we are keeping Butler so how many WR/TE I don't think we can keep 4 RB's (Elliot Morris Smith and Smith) 6 WR's (Dez, Williams, Butler, Swizter Beas and Jones ?) and 4 TE's (Witten, Hanna Spain Gathers) ... A thought in this process.. can we expect Witten/Dez to play all 16?

so my question who are the odd men out... Jones... Gathers... I really want Gathers to make the final 53.. and we probably need Jones in case of injury to Dez..
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on the HOF game and the players you mentioned.

1. Gathers really wowed me. I get it was against players that will probably not make the Cardinals roster, but his hands just seem to out muscle the defense for the ball. Combined with his size, he could be a SCARY opponent for ANY defense on the middle of the field. Pair that with Beasley and Switzer and NO team has a group of LB's that can cover all three one on one.

2. I have to agree with the Morris assessment. The only question is, what is the age difference between Morris and Smith? Reason being, can Morris keep up this level of intensity for 4 months vs a younger player?

3. Defense- I didn't get an opportunity to really focus on the defense too much as I was playing a gig last night. I DID notice the afforementioned players because, simply put, they made a plot of plays.

What can you tell me about the defense?
SweetFancyMoses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just age, but mileage. His ypc have decreased every year. He doesn't catch the ball, and we can save $1.6mil in cap space by cutting him. Unless there is an injury/lengthy suspension to Zeke/DMac, I see him being a cut.
quiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetFancyMoses wrote:
It's not just age, but mileage. His ypc have decreased every year. He doesn't catch the ball, and we can save $1.6mil in cap space by cutting him. Unless there is an injury/lengthy suspension to Zeke/DMac, I see him being a cut.

I can see where there is a lot of concern about his age and holding up but so far I have seen nothing from Smith that convinced me me that he could produce in a NFL regular season game. Elliot will need more rest in running situations this season because he will also be used more in obvious passing downs. We need a back that can atleast be a threat back there and I don't see that in Smith

To answer the question on our D I was really disappointed cards had a ton of really wide open receivers on the first couple drives even with two plus starters in our secondary. The D line got zero penetration all game it seemed th line backers did okay.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: