You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Training Camp 2017 Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Official Training Camp 2017 Thread Reply with quote

Going to stick this here for now (Sticky it once it gets enough attention) for ALL TRAINING CAMP NEWS.

We'll start it out with sad news... James Conner left camp today with a shoulder injury. No news on if it is serious or not.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golson out with an injury. *Shocked* Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Golson out with an injury. *Shocked* Shocked

lol. That's all.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
LayTheWood56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing great things about Justin Hunter. Said he has a very sick catch radius.
I hope he finds a way to stick around. Can you imagine him, Bryant, AB, and Jesse James down in the red zone!!

Conner did ding his shoulder, but I hear he had a very solid couple of days as well.

Mad props to Uncle Buck on the sig!
skywlker32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LayTheWood56 wrote:
Hearing great things about Justin Hunter. Said he has a very sick catch radius.
I hope he finds a way to stick around. Can you imagine him, Bryant, AB, and Jesse James down in the red zone!!

Conner did ding his shoulder, but I hear he had a very solid couple of days as well.

WR is definitely going to be a battle to watch. I think they have 3 guys that are pretty much guaranteed spots in Brown, Bryant (assuming he is reinstated and keeps his nose clean) and JuJu. That leaves Coates, Hunter, Ayers, Rogers and Heyward-Bey to fight for likely 2 spots.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golson and Connor are both back in Pittsburgh being evaluated - read, getting MRI's.

Shazier had a heat injury. Tuitt ankle. Somehow, Landry Jones suffered an abdominal injury.
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Chieferific

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Golson and Connor are both back in Pittsburgh being evaluated - read, getting MRI's.

Shazier had a heat injury. Tuitt ankle. Somehow, Landry Jones suffered an abdominal injury.

I suffer from one every time he plays.
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

I guess it was from picking up his playbook Laughing

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
waffles7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of upset. I had all intentions of going to camp tomorrow to reward myself as I helped my girlfriend move into her new place at Kent State, only to find out they're off tomorrow. Sucks man! Anyone attend yet?

I know it's still early on but I heard Ike Taylor say he thought TJ Watt was quietly putting together what he thought was the best camp. I don't know the validity to it but I can only hope it's true! Sucks to see the rest of this draft class dinged up: Connor, Juju, Sutton.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

I suffer from one every time he plays.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

Per Rotoworld: NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Steelers CB Senquez Golson's hamstring injury is not "major." Analysis: It is great news for a player who missed each of his first two seasons due to injury. Still, the 2015 second-rounder will need to get healthy in a hurry if he hopes to compete for a role.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible the Steelers keep 6 receivers. They have so much talent a trade for late round picks would be nice, but probably not plausible. I did suggest trading Bryant pre draft as talented as he is there would be suitors.

Brown , Bryant, Juju, Hunter, Rogers ....Ayers & Sevarrin can still go PS, Hey-Bey is a strong Special Teamer but not sure thats enough to keep him, Coates has to really show up to make it. I was a proponent of grabbing Hunter in the draft as at first I had concerns but he rose up my ranking as he got healthy and was able to show his ability.

Golson may go down as one of the all time worst draft picks for the Steelers. Hell, at least Alonzo Jackson made it thru a week of practice.

Glad to finally hear something on Alualu, I think he may be a heck of pick up to move around the line and ultimately be a primary back up for Hargrave, kind of in the Chris Hoke mold.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see Hunter making the roster. Limas Sweed looked good in training camp too. So did Dallas Baker. Coates has shown more than Hunter has. There is no logical reason (at this point) to think Hunter has a better chance of making it than Coates. Even with his inconsistencies, Coates has been better than Hunter.

Its funny, I hated when we drafted Coates, but now, it seems like Im the one defending him on here all the time. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I cant see Hunter making the roster. Limas Sweed looked good in training camp too. So did Dallas Baker. Coates has shown more than Hunter has. There is no logical reason (at this point) to think Hunter has a better chance of making it than Coates. Even with his inconsistencies, Coates has been better than Hunter.

Its funny, I hated when we drafted Coates, but now, it seems like Im the one defending him on here all the time. Laughing

I have been a Hunter fan since he came out of college and had hoped that the Steelers would have drafted him. I don't know if the Dallas Baker and Limas Sweed comparisons are fair (yet). I agree, that he has an uphill battle and will need to produce not only during practice, but in games.

I like Coates. I was excited when the Steelers drafted him and I think he has potential, but I am very disappointed in what I have seen from him thus far. Coates was not lighting it up even during OTA's from what was put out there by the media watching practice.

If Hunter continues to perform, that is all that you can ask of a player (make the most of your opportunities). Coates had a chance to make Bryant expendable. I am not buying the stuff with the fingers over the next 13 games. Coates gets props for toughness and trying to play, but he is a WR and expected to catch the ball. Over those last 13 games, Coates dropped more than he caught.

Right now Hunter is lighting it up. If he continues, then there is no logical reason why he can't earn one of the six (6) roster spots. Coates saving grace may be that he is a good special teams gunner with his speed and size. However, the Steelers need WR's who can catch the ball as well.

1. AB
2. Bryant
3. Ju Ju
4. Rogers
5. Ayers or DHB - - if he can take over PR duties
6. Hunter over Coates

Coates reminds me more of Limas Sweed.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coates and DHB are much more logical back ups in terms of a 46 man gameday roster. They are both special team standouts while they provide solid abilities as 4th/5th receivers.

Coates has more offensive abilities than DHB, but they both provide a solid addition as a deep threat further down a depth chart.

AB
Bryant
JuJu (maybe not to start the season, but mid-season most likely).

Those guys are going to be the main contributors on offense. From there, you need back up/special teams players. Coates fits that role the best -- seeing as he can do well at both as a back up guy and Gunner. After that it seems like a battle for the 5th spot between Rogers/Ayers/Hunter. Rogers and Hunter are polar opposites and Ayers largely unknown. It would all come down to performance and why style of player you like best deeper on the depth chart.

Remembering how stagnate our passing offense was last year after we lost our deep threats (Bryant suspension, Coates injury, DHB injury, Green Injury), that makes me lean towards Hunter as a more valuable asset to the team than Rogers. We have guys who can fill the slot role, but the ability to stretch the field is very important to the success of this passing offense.

Keeping 6 is a definite possibility -- but the 6th guy most likely doesn't get a hat on Sundays. Unless Rogers or Ayers kills it as a returner, none of those 3 help on special teams.

Hunter is the kind of guy Ben loves. This is Hunters first real time on a solid passing offense with a good QB. If he continues his hot start all through camp, it may be hard to keep him off the roster.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: