You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Donald Penn Holding Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD1123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:
Just read that Penn's wanting top LT money. I think if I was Reg I'd be on the phone with some free agents. Trying to find a stopgap for this yr. If he wants top money they HAVE to be far apart. I just don't see the F.O. giving in to that.

Why would he do that? Penn has a contract. If he wants to get paid at all he needs to come in and talk.

Why would who do what? Why would Reg bring in someone else? Because he could bring in Oher or Monroe for probably 2 to 3 mil. And if Penn conti is a this idiocy we have at least some kind of proven coverage at the position. If Penn comes back we have proven depth. Either way we are no longer over a barrell.
dante9876

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:
Just read that Penn's wanting top LT money. I think if I was Reg I'd be on the phone with some free agents. Trying to find a stopgap for this yr. If he wants top money they HAVE to be far apart. I just don't see the F.O. giving in to that.

Why would he do that? Penn has a contract. If he wants to get paid at all he needs to come in and talk.

Why would who do what? Why would Reg bring in someone else? Because he could bring in Oher or Monroe for probably 2 to 3 mil. And if Penn conti is a this idiocy we have at least some kind of proven coverage at the position. If Penn comes back we have proven depth. Either way we are no longer over a barrell.

Oher and monroe are still free agents for reasons. You got to let some of the young gyys sink or swin eventually. No point of keep bringing in old tackle after old tackle.
mct288

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:

Oher and monroe are still free agents for reasons. You got to let some of the young gyys sink or swin eventually. No point of keep bringing in old tackle after old tackle.

I don't know that we really have young guys that could play on the left. Kirkland would probably struggle big time as a T, and the book is out on whether Alexander can play full time on the edge or not (this means having many snaps at RT without TE help), and even then, he would be RT only due to athletic limitations. The other two T's are rookies, one being from a miniscule school. You're right that we will need to get young there at some point - but this is not that time. It's either going to take another draft pick for this spot (probably a high one) or some development for Sharpe/Ware - and I'm not comfortable with the percentages of a 4th/7th rounder manning the blindside until they prove they can.

Osemele is really about the only other LT option, but his dominance on the interior is so hard to take away IMO. We're in a pickle. We have to pay Penn or get weaker at the biggest strength on the team. No way around it.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mct288 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:

I don't know that we really have young guys that could play on the left. Kirkland would probably struggle big time as a T, and the book is out on whether Alexander can play full time on the edge or not (this means having many snaps at RT without TE help), and even then, he would be RT only due to athletic limitations. The other two T's are rookies, one being from a miniscule school. You're right that we will need to get young there at some point - but this is not that time. It's either going to take another draft pick for this spot (probably a high one) or some development for Sharpe/Ware - and I'm not comfortable with the percentages of a 4th/7th rounder manning the blindside until they prove they can.

Osemele is really about the only other LT option, but his dominance on the interior is so hard to take away IMO. We're in a pickle. We have to pay Penn or get weaker at the biggest strength on the team. No way around it.

IIRC Ware is the backup LT at the moment. Whether we as fans feel comfortable with it is immaterial as long as the coaches feel comfortable. But I get the skepticism. Also Newhouse spoke alot about being comfortable on the L or R in his first presser after Penn announced his holdout. It would be either of them and then Vadal or Sharpe on the R with Lee and Cook helping out. I don't think they move KO there unless another tackle gets hurt.

One think that this Penn thing is doing is giving us long looks at the young guys vs the Mack and Irvin and getting them reps. Can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
mct288 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:

IIRC Ware is the backup LT at the moment. Whether we as fans feel comfortable with it is immaterial as long as the coaches feel comfortable. But I get the skepticism. Also Newhouse spoke alot about being comfortable on the L or R in his first presser after Penn announced his holdout. It would be either of them and then Vadal or Sharpe on the R with Lee and Cook helping out. I don't think they move KO there unless another tackle gets hurt.

One think that this Penn thing is doing is giving us long looks at the young guys vs the Mack and Irvin and getting them reps. Can only be a good thing.

I'm with you on most all of this too. Our skepticism really is immaterial, and I would be way more skeptical if it wasn't. But hard not to be. Yeah - Newhouse can play LT in a pinch...but I'd like to avoid the pinch at any reasonable cost. I feel like the line could be passable without Penn if everything goes right - but LT would be a clear downgrade, and I would hate for the coaching staff to be beholden to giving help on the right side almost always.

Absolutely good that guys are getting looks. Unfortunate for Sharpe that he has been out as long as he has been now. This would be the perfect time for him to show something.

I do like your positive spin on the situation. If he's back at some point, then our depth has gotten meaningful reps in camp, and if he's not, then we will have some surefire answers for the future.

**I saw that Sharpe is back a couple hours after I posted this. Very interested in how he performs the rest of camp, although it is obviously not make or break for him or the team.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: