You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Donald Penn Holding Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD1123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me. I get what you guys are saying. My problem is. He was upset last yr. Then he wouldn't sign the one yr deal he wanted a 2 yr deal. THIS IS that deal. Then from the way JDR and others have responded this seems like it's blindsided them. I or course don't know
And it is not my decision to make. But I wouldn't give him an extra ride to the parking lot. There are ways to do things and ways to not do things. And while he was AWESOME last yr except one play. Let's not forget his own team wouldn't give him the contract we did. And when we signed him people said we were crazy to give a lineman that old that much money. It's not like it's been just a one way street. The Raiders have been VERY good to him.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:
Believe me. I get what you guys are saying. My problem is. He was upset last yr. Then he wouldn't sign the one yr deal he wanted a 2 yr deal. THIS IS that deal. Then from the way JDR and others have responded this seems like it's blindsided them. I or course don't know
And it is not my decision to make. But I wouldn't give him an extra ride to the parking lot. There are ways to do things and ways to not do things. And while he was AWESOME last yr except one play. Let's not forget his own team wouldn't give him the contract we did. And when we signed him people said we were crazy to give a lineman that old that much money. It's not like it's been just a one way street. The Raiders have been VERY good to him.

Solid points.

Reggie isn't gonna cave. Penn will show up later. Probably toward the end of camp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he gets the money he needs to give 80% of it to carr's quick release

"team this team that" yea right

surprised reggie brought him back last time

fwiw vadal can play rg or rt imo and id start him over feli

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Roninho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:

This.
33 year old who after a long fight for more money signed a 2 year deal last year. Yes he is playing at a good level and would make tons of extra money if he was 26. Problem is he is 33 and under contract.

Mack or Jackson or Carr holding out in year 4 of a rookie deal is something a GM could/should cave in to. But if you're going to cave in to Penn imo any guy outperforming his contract will think seriously about holding out.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real reason he has any kind of leverage is the other guys (meaning Sharpe, Vadal and Kirkland) are untested in the deep end for the most part. Newhouse can play T on either side. If he waits too long and the young guys look good in camp and in a few preseason games, there is nothing stopping us from cutting his a$$. We'd save 7mil for next yr haha. Win win.

The good thing is this should be it on knuckle head holdouts for the next few yrs unless someone just totally blows the doors off with they're performance.

Last edited by NightTrainLane on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
daineraider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be ok with extending him thru next year. We need to find a replacement before he goes. Give him some bonus $ this year and a 1 yr extension for $9-10 mil. Unless that somehow makes extending Mack an issue. If so Penn may need to move on, but we will need to draft a LT early next year.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt mind giving him a small bump but not top 10 money. I could see us making this season gaurenteed and adding on another year non gaurenteed year.
BigD1123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that Penn's wanting top LT money. I think if I was Reg I'd be on the phone with some free agents. Trying to find a stopgap for this yr. If he wants top money they HAVE to be far apart. I just don't see the F.O. giving in to that.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:
Just read that Penn's wanting top LT money. I think if I was Reg I'd be on the phone with some free agents. Trying to find a stopgap for this yr. If he wants top money they HAVE to be far apart. I just don't see the F.O. giving in to that.

Why would he do that? Penn has a contract. If he wants to get paid at all he needs to come in and talk.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penn wants top 10 LT money but he didn't play at a top 10 LT level last season. According to PFF he was the 12th best OT in the league last season, 5th in run blocking, and 21st in pass blocking.
HookEm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:

We should give him an incentive heavy deal. Boost his base salary by $2-3M which would make him the 12th or 13th highest paid LT in the league this year. If he balls out, plays at an all-pro level, and makes the pro-bowl then he should get an extra $2-3M which would make him one of the top five highest paid tackles in the league.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HookEm wrote:
Penn wants top 10 LT money but he didn't play at a top 10 LT level last season. According to PFF he was the 12th best OT in the league last season, 5th in run blocking, and 21st in pass blocking.
Dont know where you got this...
...Penn joined the Raiders in 2014 and his PFF grade has ranked in the top 12 among offensive tackles each season. In 2016, Pennís PFF grade of 86.3 was 12th out of 76 qualifying tackles.
He allowed only one sack and 28 total pressures in 621 pass block snaps last season, and Pennís 96.6 PFF pass-blocking efficiency (pressures allowed per snap with weighting toward sacks) ranked sixth among all tackles and fifth at left tackle.
G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:

I'm calling Oher and Clady. 3 mil min with bonuses for games started and playoff wins.
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
HookEm wrote:
...Penn joined the Raiders in 2014 and his PFF grade has ranked in the top 12 among offensive tackles each season. In 2016, Pennís PFF grade of 86.3 was 12th out of 76 qualifying tackles.
He allowed only one sack and 28 total pressures in 621 pass block snaps last season, and Pennís 96.6 PFF pass-blocking efficiency (pressures allowed per snap with weighting toward sacks) ranked sixth among all tackles and fifth at left tackle.

This first quote disturbed me soo much, I stopped studying to log in to chime in and give my 2 pennies worth..

People ALWAYS through in these pro football grades..PFF. I never pay attention to them..but if what this first guy wrote is true, that just proves my point that PFF is not reputable...to have Penn graded as a better Run Blocker than a pass blocker is blasphemy..
There's no way anyone can watch a game and think this is true.. Penn is a way better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. He is a real good pass blocker for the most part in my opinion, and just a okay run blocker; nothing special in the run game.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAD STORK wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
HookEm wrote:

This first quote disturbed me soo much, I stopped studying to log in to chime in and give my 2 pennies worth..

People ALWAYS through in these pro football grades..PFF. I never pay attention to them..but if what this first guy wrote is true, that just proves my point that PFF is not reputable...to have Penn graded as a better Run Blocker than a pass blocker is blasphemy..
There's no way anyone can watch a game and think this is true.. Penn is a way better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. He is a real good pass blocker for the most part in my opinion, and just a okay run blocker; nothing special in the run game.

Agree with this.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: