You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Donald Penn Holding Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
G wrote:
Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

EDIT If he retires then Osemele at LT and Jackson at LG happens a year early.

In that scenario the right side becomes a weakness.

I think Feli at RG and Newhouse or Sharpe at RT would perform pretty well actually. The T spot is gonna be what it is anyway and if we wanna balance it out, Gabe can stay on the R and Feli would sub on the LG spot. That is what he has done the most anyway and I don't think he is that big of a dropoff from Gabe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are better than I am. If I was Reg I'd let him sit and fine him until he came back or retired. Don't get me wrong I think Penn is great. But I also worry about what kind of example your setting. If you cave the next time someone wants more they hold out and your in the same boat again. I get that he is trying to get "respect" but he just said a month or so ago it wasn't about money this late in his career it was about the sb. But whatever. I believe Reg knows what he is doing and I KNOW he knows more about it than I do.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay the man. In a world of austin howard's, Penn is the shining star when it comes to offensive tackles, especially in terms of what he brings as far as "production", leadership, etc.

I'd like to see him finish his career as a raider. Can't make any promises about 2018, but he's playing like a pro bowler right now and compensating him slightly more without impacting future cap years isn't a bad idea.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
Dessie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:
You guys are better than I am. If I was Reg I'd let him sit and fine him until he came back or retired. Don't get me wrong I think Penn is great. But I also worry about what kind of example your setting. If you cave the next time someone wants more they hold out and your in the same boat again. I get that he is trying to get "respect" but he just said a month or so ago it wasn't about money this late in his career it was about the sb. But whatever. I believe Reg knows what he is doing and I KNOW he knows more about it than I do.

Agreed but I can see why Penn is doing it, it's his last chance to make some money and he is underpaid in comparison to others.

Like you say folding and giving in to his demands sets a dangerous precedent especially with the likes of Irvin having no more guaranteed money after this year.

All depends on what he is asking for I guess, if he wants too much then it could be a lengthy holdout.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
BigD1123 wrote:

Agreed but I can see why Penn is doing it, it's his last chance to make some money and he is underpaid in comparison to others.

Like you say folding and giving in to his demands sets a dangerous precedent especially with the likes of Irvin having no more guaranteed money after this year.

All depends on what he is asking for I guess, if he wants too much then it could be a lengthy holdout.

I believe you don't even subscribe to the precedent. Just handle the situations as they arise how the team sees fit. If a guy wants to walk that's up to him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is underpaid, but I wouldn't give him some big extension or anything.

Last edited by Blazer026 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penn signed a contract. If he doesn't like it, too bad. I hope Reggie tells him to play under the contract he signed or go kick rocks.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
Penn signed a contract. If he doesn't like it, too bad. I hope Reggie tells him to play under the contract he signed or go kick rocks.
I normally would agree, but we really don't need the disruption, we have enough money this year, I say give him $2M-$3M raise for this season then let him walk next season no matter what.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
I normally would agree, but we really don't need the disruption, we have enough money this year, I say give him $2M-$3M raise for this season then let him walk next season no matter what.

This. Said the same thing on the other forum. He does have some leverage and he has performed well for us. As said, we don't need the distraction.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
G wrote:
Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

I think Feli at RG and Newhouse or Sharpe at RT would perform pretty well actually. The T spot is gonna be what it is anyway and if we wanna balance it out, Gabe can stay on the R and Feli would sub on the LG spot. That is what he has done the most anyway and I don't think he is that big of a dropoff from Gabe.

Idk man. What has Feliciano showed so far? He looked pretty bad last year.Newhouse is really better suited to be a backup.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:

He was one of the best LTs in the league last season. He's been solid at worst for the team since he first signed. I feel like he has a gripe and should get a bump in pay.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
G wrote:

Idk man. What has Feliciano showed so far? He looked pretty bad last year. Newhouse is really better suited to be a backup.

Maybe we have different memories but I don't recall Feli looking bad. I remember him filling in pretty well. In fact I remember him looking good at the guard spot. Newhouse my not be elite like our other guys but he is an average olinemen and would fill in fine if Penn misses time. I think at times we are really hard on the oline because we are use to the excellence from our probowlers. Everyone isn't that level but that doesn't mean they are backups or looked bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:

This. Said the same thing on the other forum. He does have some leverage and he has performed well for us. As said, we don't need the distraction.

100 percent agree. Pay the man, he has 1 year left and was a top LT last year. no way he can be replaced at this late in the game without a significant downgrade somewhere along the line. Moving lineman around to compensate for his loss would damage a top 2 unit in football. Penn is too critical to Carr's success this season to have him kick rocks.

Props to Uncle Buck for the pimpin sig
G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clady, Beatty, Dunlap, Oher, even Long, Vollmer need jobs.
I'd take Clady and Oher for the price of Penn or less. Wouldn't cut Penn, play for us or RETIRE!!!
I'd give him bonuses for caliber of play if he's willing to lose cash for sacks allowed or games missed due to injury.
Honestly i think Penn is solid but looks pro bowl because of Carr and our interior line play. Unless he wants less for more seasons of security, I don't see him having ANY leverage to be honest. Mack is underpaid too then, so shouldn't we void his contract and pay him 20 mil per now?!? Nope, use the system to work for you, not against you.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best OTs in the game, pay the man.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: