You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Donald Penn Holding Out
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayRaider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

I feel like this could have a huge negative impact on our season if he misses time. But I also am not willing to give him a new contract. He's 34 years old and had an injury. Are you kidding me with this request? It's likely his last year with the organization and he's holding out for a new contract.. really makes no sense.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
I feel like this could have a huge negative impact on our season if he misses time. But I also am not willing to give him a new contract. He's 34 years old and had an injury. Are you kidding me with this request? It's likely his last year with the organization and he's holding out for a new contract.. really makes no sense.

He is betting that we have no choice but to deal because we need him. In this business you go for the guaranteed money where you can get it. If he can squeeze 1.5mil in bonus money for an extension next year it's worth it to him to try. He and the front office aren't exactly on the best terms because of the time it took to get him signed last year. All business.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like Penn knows when to use his leverage haha...sigh...god******!

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

Uh oh: #Raiders standout LT Donald Penn is not reporting for training camp, source said. He's unhappy with his contract.
11:03 AM - 28 Jul 2017

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/890996088504766464

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

He is betting that we have no choice but to deal because we need him. In this business you go for the guaranteed money where you can get it. If he can squeeze 1.5mil in bonus money for an extension next year it's worth it to him to try. He and the front office aren't exactly on the best terms because of the time it took to get him signed last year. All business.

There is no way Reggie gives him a new contract for next year just because we're scared of losing him this year. Perhaps Penn will just settle on more money added into his contract for this season.
G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

EDIT If he retires then Osemele at LT and Jackson at LG happens a year early.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

There is no way Reggie gives him a new contract for next year just because we're scared of losing him this year. Perhaps Penn will just settle on more money added into his contract for this season.

It wouldn't matter if the only money guaranteed on the extension was the bonus. We could cut him anyways.

But like you said we could add that money this year. It depends on what Penn is holding out for...future foot in the door or just money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

Totally agree Haha!

Yup and having one of the young guys at RG instead of LT is a much better fit and a lesser risk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.

Yeah, he deserves a bump, but the deal he signed was mitigated by the fact that he was 33. No team in their right mind is gonna put up big numbers for a guy at that age. Let alone future guarantees. If that is what he is looking for then he'll be looking in the unemployment line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Yes agreed 100% but im not giving this guy a dime of future guaranteed money past this season if that's what he's looking for. If he wants more money for this season, that's fine.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude definitely has leverage
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Yes agreed 100% but im not giving this guy a dime of future guaranteed money past this season if that's what he's looking for. If he wants more money for this season, that's fine.

Can't the Raiders use some of the 5 mil they saved from Howard towards this?
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Can't the Raiders use some of the 5 mil they saved from Howard towards this?

That's what he is hoping for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I agree, not happy with the timing, but it's an easy fix. he is due $7M this season, give him a raise for this year of $2M to $2.5M and he will be top 10 in pay this season.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

In that scenario the right side becomes a weakness.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: