You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Donald Penn Holding Out
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5255
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

I feel like this could have a huge negative impact on our season if he misses time. But I also am not willing to give him a new contract. He's 34 years old and had an injury. Are you kidding me with this request? It's likely his last year with the organization and he's holding out for a new contract.. really makes no sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
I feel like this could have a huge negative impact on our season if he misses time. But I also am not willing to give him a new contract. He's 34 years old and had an injury. Are you kidding me with this request? It's likely his last year with the organization and he's holding out for a new contract.. really makes no sense.


He is betting that we have no choice but to deal because we need him. In this business you go for the guaranteed money where you can get it. If he can squeeze 1.5mil in bonus money for an extension next year it's worth it to him to try. He and the front office aren't exactly on the best terms because of the time it took to get him signed last year. All business.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like Penn knows when to use his leverage haha...sigh...god******!

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

Uh oh: #Raiders standout LT Donald Penn is not reporting for training camp, source said. He's unhappy with his contract.
11:03 AM - 28 Jul 2017

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/890996088504766464
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5255
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
I feel like this could have a huge negative impact on our season if he misses time. But I also am not willing to give him a new contract. He's 34 years old and had an injury. Are you kidding me with this request? It's likely his last year with the organization and he's holding out for a new contract.. really makes no sense.


He is betting that we have no choice but to deal because we need him. In this business you go for the guaranteed money where you can get it. If he can squeeze 1.5mil in bonus money for an extension next year it's worth it to him to try. He and the front office aren't exactly on the best terms because of the time it took to get him signed last year. All business.


There is no way Reggie gives him a new contract for next year just because we're scared of losing him this year. Perhaps Penn will just settle on more money added into his contract for this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3881
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

EDIT If he retires then Osemele at LT and Jackson at LG happens a year early.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Donald Penn Holding Out Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
I feel like this could have a huge negative impact on our season if he misses time. But I also am not willing to give him a new contract. He's 34 years old and had an injury. Are you kidding me with this request? It's likely his last year with the organization and he's holding out for a new contract.. really makes no sense.


He is betting that we have no choice but to deal because we need him. In this business you go for the guaranteed money where you can get it. If he can squeeze 1.5mil in bonus money for an extension next year it's worth it to him to try. He and the front office aren't exactly on the best terms because of the time it took to get him signed last year. All business.


There is no way Reggie gives him a new contract for next year just because we're scared of losing him this year. Perhaps Penn will just settle on more money added into his contract for this season.


It wouldn't matter if the only money guaranteed on the extension was the bonus. We could cut him anyways.

But like you said we could add that money this year. It depends on what Penn is holding out for...future foot in the door or just money.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

EDIT If he retires then Osemele at LT and Jackson at LG happens a year early.


Totally agree Haha!

Yup and having one of the young guys at RG instead of LT is a much better fit and a lesser risk.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 25678
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.


Yeah, he deserves a bump, but the deal he signed was mitigated by the fact that he was 33. No team in their right mind is gonna put up big numbers for a guy at that age. Let alone future guarantees. If that is what he is looking for then he'll be looking in the unemployment line.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5255
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.


Yes agreed 100% but im not giving this guy a dime of future guaranteed money past this season if that's what he's looking for. If he wants more money for this season, that's fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 12503
Location: Lehigh Valley
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude definitely has leverage
_________________
R A I D E R S | 7 6 E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chali21


Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 4267
Location: Cali
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.


Yes agreed 100% but im not giving this guy a dime of future guaranteed money past this season if that's what he's looking for. If he wants more money for this season, that's fine.


Can't the Raiders use some of the 5 mil they saved from Howard towards this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.


Yes agreed 100% but im not giving this guy a dime of future guaranteed money past this season if that's what he's looking for. If he wants more money for this season, that's fine.


Can't the Raiders use some of the 5 mil they saved from Howard towards this?


That's what he is hoping for.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidr4life


Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 8707
Location: Fresno, California
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
He signed a bargain deal. Was an absolute stud last year and severely underpaid at a premium position.

He absolutely has a case for getting a bump in pay. No problem with this at all. He's a consummate professional, team guy and will earn every dollar you give him. One of my favorite Raiders personally.
I agree, not happy with the timing, but it's an easy fix. he is due $7M this season, give him a raise for this year of $2M to $2.5M and he will be top 10 in pay this season.
_________________
Homey don't play that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr.Bob Dobalina


Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 2006
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not too worried. He's a big guy and probably doesn't want to be out in this heat. If he gets a little more cash for trying then more power to him. I'd play hard ball and contact Monroe and start rumors for Trading for Albert, bring in Oher for a physical. LOL
Penn will come in when he has too. In the meantime Sharpe can get LT reps. I just don't see Penn in our 2018 plans to be honest.

EDIT If he retires then Osemele at LT and Jackson at LG happens a year early.


In that scenario the right side becomes a weakness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group