You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders release OT Austin Howard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
that's what happens when you overpay a ton on average players. This is the beginning.

Who exactly are these ton of average players we've overpaid recently? Derek Carr? Lol. I guess if you didn't know much about Jackson you could try and make that argument, but you'd be wrong. He's clearly an above average to very good player. Osemele? Nope, one of the best guards in the game. I guess you could argue Smith and Amerson, but neither guy got substantial long term money were stuck paying. We had to use that space on someone.

And losing Austin Howard is not some huge loss we just had to make because we're strapped for cash. That's absurd. He, if anyone is an average player, and possibly below average. He should catch on somewhere, but we have a ton of competition for the RT spot and he was overpaid.

Which brings me to my next point, nobody should be locking Newhouse into a starting role, at all. He's in the competition for sure, but we also have Alexander who started games last season and played well coming into his second season, a guy in Denver Kirkland that played as an extra linemen last season as a rookie, Sharpe who we drafted in the third round this year and some other younger guys that might surprise. Newhouse has the slim advantage of being an experienced player, but he'll have to earn the role. I think it ultimately ends up being Alexander. He really did plauer well last season when called on, should hopefully continue to grow and improve, and has the advantage of not being Marshall Newhouse. RT is a question and concern, but really our only real question mark on that side of the ball, and it's possible it's not a weakness if one of the young guys steps up, plus whoever it will be will have four other good to great players at the other spots to take some pressure off (assuming Penn gets into camp soon).

I'd argue MLB is a much bigger weakness and issue because of lack of proven talent, or high upside young guys, and much less help on the defensive side to mask some weaknesses. That could be the spot that destroys us defensively. Where as RT being a below average spot likely isn't going to doom us with so much talent everywhere else on offense. I mean a lot of successful teams don't have an elite or even very good RT, or the other 4 spots being manned by possible pro bowlers. That's a spot easier to cover up some issues with giving a ton of help from backs, TE's and your RG. Your LB sucking overall is something it's hard to scheme around, particularly when the rest of your defense isn't overflowing with talent.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone worried, consider this. Clive Walford was insanely good pass blocking last year. He didn't even allow a pressure from what I recall seeing. Lee smith is also a monster as far as pass blocking.

The Raiders love to run max protect and do it well.

Considering how bad Howard has been, this was a long time coming. Newhouse, Vadal Alexander, and David Sharpe will fight it out for the job at right tackle. Alexander showed some promise last year when he started there against the Ravens and whoever we have on that side will have help, especially against guys like Miller, Houston, etc.

I'm not horribly worried. Howard being cut doesn't change anything, believe that.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: