You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders release OT Austin Howard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Raiders release OT Austin Howard Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822789/article/austin-howard-released-by-oakland-raiders

It seems they are satisified with Marshall Newhouse starting for them... Can he still be a serviceable offensive linemen, Raiders fans:?

Nacho Simulation Football League
Castiron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of surprising. I thought at the very least he could provide solid depth. Perhaps there was some other issue?
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT is by far our biggest weakness, more so than MLB imo.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castiron wrote:
That's kind of surprising. I thought at the very least he could provide solid depth. Perhaps there was some other issue?

Didn't he have a pretty large contract? Does this save them any cap space?

Nacho Simulation Football League
G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it saves us around 9 mil this season (3.6) and next (5.5). Guy was serviceable just not worth the price. He was a good RT for the Jets but we moved him to G his first two seasons where he was BAD...Too many fans remember that but he's an OK RT just the weakest link on our line. He played injured so there's also that factor.
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what happens when you overpay a ton on average players. This is the beginning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe Flacco.

^^El ramster^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

#JDI
FootballProdiG wrote:
Cant spell choke without OKC
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
that's what happens when you overpay a ton on average players. This is the beginning.

....of what? We signed him when we HAD to over pay mediocre players.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the ravens sign him, he can't be any worse than our current RT...Whoever that may be.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
BroncoSojia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Miller looking at Marshall Newhouse like....

KManX89

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Raiders release OT Austin Howard Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822789/article/austin-howard-released-by-oakland-raiders

It seems they are satisified with Marshall Newhouse starting for them... Can he still be a serviceable offensive linemen, Raiders fans:?

Marshall Newhouse is garbage.

Take it from me.

If I'm Reggie Mac, I'm very concerned about him having to block Von Miller, he's gonna get Derek Carr killed (and we all saw just how important he is to the Raider's offense).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Raiders release OT Austin Howard Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:

If I'm Reggie Mac, I'm very concerned about him having to block Von Miller, he's gonna get Derek Carr killed (and we all saw just how important he is to the Raider's offense).

We have EJ Manuel tho..
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Raiders release OT Austin Howard Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Marshall Newhouse is garbage.

Take it from me.

No change then, Howard a disaster at RT pass blocking.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a good depth guy for a lot of teams. Got to think he'll hook on with another team soon.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:

Who exactly are these ton of average players we've overpaid recently? Derek Carr? Lol. I guess if you didn't know much about Jackson you could try and make that argument, but you'd be wrong. He's clearly an above average to very good player. Osemele? Nope, one of the best guards in the game. I guess you could argue Smith and Amerson, but neither guy got substantial long term money were stuck paying. We had to use that space on someone.

And losing Austin Howard is not some huge loss we just had to make because we're strapped for cash. That's absurd. He, if anyone is an average player, and possibly below average. He should catch on somewhere, but we have a ton of competition for the RT spot and he was overpaid.

Which brings me to my next point, nobody should be locking Newhouse into a starting role, at all. He's in the competition for sure, but we also have Alexander who started games last season and played well coming into his second season, a guy in Denver Kirkland that played as an extra linemen last season as a rookie, Sharpe who we drafted in the third round this year and some other younger guys that might surprise. Newhouse has the slim advantage of being an experienced player, but he'll have to earn the role. I think it ultimately ends up being Alexander. He really did plauer well last season when called on, should hopefully continue to grow and improve, and has the advantage of not being Marshall Newhouse. RT is a question and concern, but really our only real question mark on that side of the ball, and it's possible it's not a weakness if one of the young guys steps up, plus whoever it will be will have four other good to great players at the other spots to take some pressure off (assuming Penn gets into camp soon).

I'd argue MLB is a much bigger weakness and issue because of lack of proven talent, or high upside young guys, and much less help on the defensive side to mask some weaknesses. That could be the spot that destroys us defensively. Where as RT being a below average spot likely isn't going to doom us with so much talent everywhere else on offense. I mean a lot of successful teams don't have an elite or even very good RT, or the other 4 spots being manned by possible pro bowlers. That's a spot easier to cover up some issues with giving a ton of help from backs, TE's and your RG. Your LB sucking overall is something it's hard to scheme around, particularly when the rest of your defense isn't overflowing with talent.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: