You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bell Does Not Report to Camp

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Bell Does Not Report to Camp Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/leveon-bell-doesnt-report-to-steelers-camp/

Curious how long he's going to keep the antics up. If this were a normal player, I wouldn't begrudge them. I didn't hold anything against Hines Ward for holding out. When it's a guy who has screwed up as much as Bell, and who has basically missed the most important games of his career to this point and turned down being made the highest paid guy at his position by a lot, it's not a good look.

My attitude is basically screw this guy. And I suspect the Steelers offense will be just fine without him if not better (mainly an indictment of the coaches).
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
95lloyd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't bother me at all to be honest. He's going to show up in peak physical condition. Be better if he were in camp obviously but I don't think it will have much impact on what he brings to the field when the season starts.

He's not breaking any rules he's not currently under contract.
skywlker32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, it's not about worrying how he will be physically, but mentally. There are always tweaks to an offense and the more time you have to make the offense an automatic decision/movement, the better.

There's also the chemistry with Ben in the passing game that could be a concern. For a guy that has missed as much time as Bell, you'd think he would want to make sure everything was clicking in a contract year.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History has shown that when players hold out they are more susceptible to injuries. Usually these are soft tissue injuries (i.e. ACL/MCL, groins, hamstrings, Achilles..etc). These are the types of injuries that have caused him to miss significant time in the past. Not a smart move on his part imo especially considering he has zero leverage.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not worried if he comes into camp in the middle of August. He has shown ( several times) that he can come in from 3-4 game suspensions and be at a very high level.

and he is playing for his contract.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me is getting sick of Bell. I dont blame him for wanting to get paid at all, but he needs to understand the reality of the situation....he is an oft injured (or at least, injured at bad times) player with a few off field issues and a questionable attitude. As much as I want to keep the guy for his talent, part of me is hoping we slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on him next year and let some team grab him.

I hope we dont lose him for nothing....even though thats what I expect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I am not worried if he comes into camp in the middle of August. He has shown ( several times) that he can come in from 3-4 game suspensions and be at a very high level.

and he is playing for his contract.

This...as long as he's playing week 1 against Browns, I don't care.

Run the wheels off this year and possibly next...and if he gets real stupid next year, trade him for a 1st(or a 2nd+) and wash your hands.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay healthy and be a top RB, then consider getting top salary. Right now, he is asking for more than history shows he is worth IMO. Based on potential though, I understand, but how do contracts work in the salary cap era wrt potential vs reality/health/injuries d'oh!

AV signing is a good one and drafting a RB was also a good move IMO.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
stay healthy and be a top RB, then consider getting top salary. Right now, he is asking for more than history shows he is worth IMO. Based on potential though, I understand, but how do contracts work in the salary cap era wrt potential vs reality/health/injuries d'oh!

He's not being realistic at all (imo). You don't get 2 salaries because you run AND catch the ball. I don't see Newton asking for #1 QB money AND #2 RB money. I don't see Montgomery asking for #1 RB money AND #3 WR money. It simply doesn't work that way. Sign a reasonable offer and get you butt on the field. This team has a chance at greatness.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
3rivers wrote:

He's not being realistic at all (imo). You don't get 2 salaries because you run AND catch the ball. I don't see Newton asking for #1 QB money AND #2 RB money. I don't see Montgomery asking for #1 RB money AND #3 WR money. It simply doesn't work that way. Sign a reasonable offer and get you butt on the field. This team has a chance at greatness.

exactly . Maybe eventually trade him if he holds out/won't sign and the rookie does well. Of course if the draft picks are of the jarvis variety, then reconsider Laughing
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with him refusing to participate physically. He wants a fair deal long-term and doesn't want hurt in the meantime.

However, he needs to report for the simple fact that he needs to be there to at least know what's going on and help other backs *cough* Conner *cough* and help them prepare for the NFL.

I don't get what outright not reporting is going to do for him right now. He got his money for this season, but it's only hurting his chances of getting paid. This organization isn't one to just give in to a player; especially after someone had legal trouble more than once.
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I have no problem with him not being there at all. THe offense is the same, he's still likely working out, and he's avoiding abuse.

In fact I think it's good he's not there. Avoid the abuse, let JC take snaps, that way if Bell doesn't stick around, guys have at least gone through TC with more reps to be ready.

We're making a mountain out of a molehill. Untill this reaches the regular season or he comes back out of shape it's a "better for all" situation.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: