You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers Extend LT VIllanueva
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 10339
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Steelers Extend LT VIllanueva Reply with quote

4 years/24 million.

Quote:
Pen to paper. ✍️ #official pic.twitter.com/lW9KrZFG2P

Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) July 27, 2017

#Steelers OT Al Villanueva signed a 4-yr deal worth $24M, source said. Was to earn just $615K as an exclusive rights FA, then been a RFA


http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/27/steelers-sign-ot-alejandro-villanueva-to-4-year-contract-extension/

1. Lot of money invested in offense. Completely lopsided spending at this point.
2. Steelers had his rights for two more years, at a minimum. Glad to see the guy get paid, but interesting discussion can be had there.
_________________
Mike Tomlin, January 17, 2017 on the avoiding the Patriots in previous playoffs:
"They haven't had to go through us, either. Stay tuned!"
Final: 36-17
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3881
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the right thing IMO...Even though they didn't have to.
It's peanuts for a starting LT but it's goodwill as he'd been dirt cheap for two more seasons. So it's like a 2 year 10 mil per deal which is fair.
If I'm a FA especially an older one. I'd lean towards the Steelers because of them hooking up one of their own before they needed to. If he continues to improve he'll be likely to shave a few million of his next contract because of this goodwill.
Bell's situation is different. Off-field issues makes it a harder commitment but he's so important to the on-field production as a versatile weapon and in his prime. Bell deserves to get paid, but his position (RB) is a dime a dozen (even though Bell is special) Hopefully he'll ball and get paid or get to test the market and we will see how much RB's could/should get paid.
QB, pass rushers and blockers, followed by CB's and WR's the money tree...
At least RB's are ahead of LB's that don't get sacks. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Castiron


Joined: 22 Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.


It's okay. Eventually you'll get to laugh at them for signing Bell for $19 mil per.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaidersAreOne


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 16832
Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Bog Ben potentially retiring after this year, I think the Steelers window closes after this season.
_________________

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.


It's okay. Eventually you'll get to laugh at them for signing Bell for $19 mil per.


You wouldn't happen to be the WalterFootball castiron would you?

19 million seems like the perfect amount to laugh at.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11998
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steelers Extend LT VIllanueva Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
1. Lot of money invested in offense. Completely lopsided spending at this point.


Yes, but their drafts have been slanted heavily to the defense to balance it out. All of their last 5 first round picks and 3 of the last 4 second round picks.

Villanueva is a fine LT and their entire OL has been doing great. Overlooked among the best in the league, so good move to keep continuity there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Castiron


Joined: 22 Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.


It's okay. Eventually you'll get to laugh at them for signing Bell for $19 mil per.


You wouldn't happen to be the WalterFootball castiron would you?

19 million seems like the perfect amount to laugh at.


Yes to both, my man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.


It's okay. Eventually you'll get to laugh at them for signing Bell for $19 mil per.


You wouldn't happen to be the WalterFootball castiron would you?

19 million seems like the perfect amount to laugh at.


Yes to both, my man.


Nice to see you again.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Castiron


Joined: 22 Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.


It's okay. Eventually you'll get to laugh at them for signing Bell for $19 mil per.


You wouldn't happen to be the WalterFootball castiron would you?

19 million seems like the perfect amount to laugh at.


Yes to both, my man.


Nice to see you again.


Same to you.

I gotta have someplace to talk about football, and that other place fell apart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Castiron wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Nice gesture for the steelers I may hate their guts but they do right by their players.


It's okay. Eventually you'll get to laugh at them for signing Bell for $19 mil per.


You wouldn't happen to be the WalterFootball castiron would you?

19 million seems like the perfect amount to laugh at.


Yes to both, my man.


Nice to see you again.


Same to you.

I gotta have someplace to talk about football, and that other place fell apart.


Everything falls apart eventually. A bunch of WF people are here as well ftr.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
With Bog Ben potentially retiring after this year, I think the Steelers window closes after this season.


I can all but guarantee Ben wont retire after this season unless he gets seriously hurt or the Steelers win a SB.

Barring those two things, I fully expect him to play out his current contract, and I expect the Steelers to draft a QB early next year, regardless of what Ben does.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrOaktown_56


Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Posts: 8099
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
With Bog Ben potentially retiring after this year, I think the Steelers window closes after this season.


I can all but guarantee Ben wont retire after this season unless he gets seriously hurt or the Steelers win a SB.

Barring those two things, I fully expect him to play out his current contract, and I expect the Steelers to draft a QB early next year, regardless of what Ben does.


IMO that offense is gonna be humming anyway. Ben, as good as he is, definitely didn't have his best year last year and that offense was still very very good.

I think even if the Steelers could find an ok guy at qb, you could still be looking at a perennial top 10 offense, simply because Bryant could continue to ascend as a player and I'm very high on some of the Steelers other receivers, particularly JuJu.
_________________
Danand wrote:
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
With Bog Ben potentially retiring after this year, I think the Steelers window closes after this season.


I can all but guarantee Ben wont retire after this season unless he gets seriously hurt or the Steelers win a SB.

Barring those two things, I fully expect him to play out his current contract, and I expect the Steelers to draft a QB early next year, regardless of what Ben does.


IMO that offense is gonna be humming anyway. Ben, as good as he is, definitely didn't have his best year last year and that offense was still very very good.

I think even if the Steelers could find an ok guy at qb, you could still be looking at a perennial top 10 offense, simply because Bryant could continue to ascend as a player and I'm very high on some of the Steelers other receivers, particularly JuJu.


I mean, I do agree Ben didnt have his best season, but it was still better than what youre going to get out of most QBs. Ben, last year, suffered from not having a dependable deep threat after Sammie Coates got injured.

I agree the offense could still be good after he leaves, but I still maintain that he wont retire until his contract expires. I know he talked about retiring this year, but he is a drama queen sometimes. Maybe there are some behind-the-scenes health/personal issues that MAY be having him considering retirement, but Ben has always kind of been this way. I didnt take his retirement talk one bit seriously this offseason...and Im surprised so many did. And barring a SB win, extreme regression in his play or injury, I wont take his retirement talk seriously next offseason either.

If the Steelers FO were really worried about him retiring soon, I think they wouldve made more of an effort to get a QB early THIS year. They took Josh Dobbs, but he is just competition to push Landry Jones.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El ramster


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 64033
Location: Jared Goffs Bed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of money. He won't need loans from USSA anymore.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group