You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens Center John Urschel (26) retires after CTE study
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a math theorem named after him. He'll be fine.
bananabucket

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobz wrote:
I read the article on ESPN and Harbaugh said he's talked to Kaep but it's mostly been about history/politics and having intellectual conversations

Then Kaepernick couldn't have been involved
OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust.

Zach Orr, Tavon Young, Kenneth Dixon, John Urschel, Dennis Pitta and Flacco has back issues.

That's 5 potential starters all gone/retired/injured before training camp even started not counting our starting QB.

I'm really starting to wonder if the training staff is super incompetent or we just
have horrible injury luck.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. I wanted to see what he could do in an extended role. He is a very smart guy though, and will be fine.

Ravens are taking a hit this season. Adding Colin K wouldn't be a bad idea if Flacco is having a potential setback.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens' bad luck continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame him. I'd be out the door as soon as possible as well, as much as I hate to say it. Hope the NFL survives, but, this is going to start happening more frequently.
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ravens Center John Urschel (26) retires after CTE study Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20170808/baltimore-ravens-offensive-lineman-john-urschel-retires-abruptly

He was a leading contender to start at center (or possibly guard) after we got rid of Zuttah. Urschel is also working on his PHd at MIT. He had said before that his passion for football outweighted the risks, even though he has other options for a sound career. Until now, I guess.

Oh, and Joe Flacco has a back issue and could miss 3-6 weeks. Or 1 week depending on the source.

FML

Urchel's retirement may be the most damning indictment on the future prospects of football. Even more damning than the higher profile early retirements.

You can tell he loves football, & that's probably why he's keeping his concerns private. But he's the type of guy who can read & fully comprehend the data within a scientific report, & separate the evidence from media hysteria.

You just can't argue that it seems mighty suspicious that he's retiring immediately after the latest CTE findings.

When a guy with Urchel's capability retires from the game he loves after just three seasons, you can tell it's more than a knee jerk reaction.

Wish him all the best in his academic pursuits.
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the NFL didn't have to be John's meal ticket to being successful in life.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
areksoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Urschel. We have a lot in common. Both Canadian, played ball and went to school for math. Though he greatly excelled past me in both while I was a undersized scrub on a Canadian university football team and never went ahead with a PhD in math.

Sad to see him retire, but at the same time really happy for him. Soooo.... which team is going to hire him for their advanced analytics?
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him. I wish him well in his new course in life. Got to think a lot of other players may decide to do this as well with the release of the CTE report.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
scoobz wrote:
I read the article on ESPN and Harbaugh said he's talked to Kaep but it's mostly been about history/politics and having intellectual conversations

Then Kaepernick couldn't have been involved

Think

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted that back issues can always be unpredictable and nothing's going to surprise me the way this offseason has gone for the Ravens, but every indication is that the Flacco back thing was overstated in the media. We were just looking for a QB to bring in to run practice drills so our assistant coaches didn't have to fill in like they did on the first day of camp

If Flacco's were to have miss significant time, we'd be sunk anyway.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep an eye on: Ryan Mallett. The backup quarterback looked awful in filing in for Joe Flacco (back) with the first team on Friday. He was intercepted at least five times and was nearly picked off two more times. On his last interception, Mallett threw his white towel in the air. His struggles were noticed by linebacker Terrell Suggs. "Hey Marty [Mornhinweg, offensive coordinator], tell Mallett to throw to the guys wearing the purple jerseys [the offense]," Suggs said.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0682640232536873732-4

Laughing
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobz wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

I doubt that's any more than PR talk. The Ravens typically aren't the type to bring in media attention on purpose.

Doesn't make much sense for Harbaugh to admit they've been talking to Kaep throughout the summer and then comment on his priorities. Sounds serious to me.

I read the article on ESPN and Harbaugh said he's talked to Kaep but it's mostly been about history/politics and having intellectual conversations. Not that they've been keeping an eye on him football wise.

It's coach speak when asked a direct question about a player.

Yep, important to remember that his brother coached him in SF, so them having personal conversations is far more likely than most other coaches doing the same.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

areksoo wrote:
I am a big fan of Urschel. We have a lot in common. Both Canadian, played ball and went to school for math. Though he greatly excelled past me in both while I was a undersized scrub on a Canadian university football team and never went ahead with a PhD in math.

Sad to see him retire, but at the same time really happy for him. Soooo.... which team is going to hire him for their advanced analytics?

Isn't it a funny world we live in? For my part, I have visited Canada three times, used to play pickup football in my neighborhood, and have been known to add three-digit numbers...in my head.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: