You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos Trade for G Allen Barbre (Conditional Pick)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd read into it. The only reason to trade a conditional 7th round pick for him is that the Broncos liked him enough that they didn't want Barbre to sign with anyone else. If he doesn't workout...you get your 7th round pick back.

But, I don't even know he passed his physical or not.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
jolly red giant wrote:
Why the hell is Vance Joseph reported as saying that Barbre was brought in to compete for the starting job at LG.

Surely the sensible thing to do is play Leary at LG alongside the rookie LT and give Barbre the RG job where he would be most useful. It doesn't make sense to me to switch Leary to RG and leave him there with Barbre now here.

Just a guess, but they might be looking for more speed on the left side and road graders on the right. Hard to tell without looking at their playbook.

Garcia and speed will rarely be used in the same sentence.

It'd be interesting to know where Schofields lining up in practice. Could be he's in the running for the LG spot. I've never seen Barbre play but looking at his history he's not an apparent upgrade over Schofield.

We should know more in a week or so.

I would have to suggest that Barbre is competing for the LG job; he hasn't won the job, yet. After all the Broncos merely gave up a 7th round pick for him.

AKRNA. If the Broncos set up their linemen this way to have speed on the left and the grinders on the right...does this make them overly predictable?

Not really. Just makes good use of available personnel. We could produce a great version of USC's old "student body right" with that configuration. Very Happy
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise but VJ confirmed today that Barbre is playing exclusively at LG. Looks like Leary will stay at RG as plan A while Barbre & Garcia battle for the LG spot.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
No surprise but VJ confirmed today that Barbre is playing exclusively at LG. Looks like Leary will stay at RG as plan A while Barbre & Garcia battle for the LG spot.

This holds up I see it as the staff's first major mistake.

You spent a crap ton of money on Leary you need to play him at his natural position (LG) and in doing so give some help to Bollles. You make due on the right side and have a strong left. This incessant shifting around cannot work.

If we start moving everyone around everywhere it's a sign that all hope is lost. We might as well just have a chimp throw darts at the wall and the first five names that hit is our OL.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

You spent a crap ton of money on Leary you need to play him at his natural position (LG) and in doing so give some help to Bollles. You make due on the right side and have a strong left. This incessant shifting around cannot work.

If we start moving everyone around everywhere it's a sign that all hope is lost. We might as well just have a chimp throw darts at the wall and the first five names that hit is our OL.

I'm taking this from the old site, to ensure the convo continues on the Forum when it switches over.

@AnAngryAmerican, time will tell - but keep in mind that Barbre graded out really well in pass pro last year as the Eagles LG - even when Lane Johnson was suspended for 10 games. In 262 pass snaps, he allowed 2 sacks and 14 pressures - and did so without Johnson as LT. Leary's pass pro stats look good, but that's in the context of Tyrone Smith and Travis Frederick bookending him, when the film shows he's the pass pro weak link there.

Leary would be a road grader with Bolles for sure in the run game - so your concern that we don't beef up a lockdown run blocking side is very much on-point - it may be that pass-pro actually is better with Barbre as LG, rather than Leary. Time will tell. Either way, as discussed before, this really knocks the shine off Leary's long-term prospects as our LG if he can't crack the lineup - by year 3, no excuses on being able to win a starting job, at least not on an OL that's far from elite.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/07/releasing_allen_barbre_is_a_mistake_by_the_eagles.html
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

I'm taking this from the old site, to ensure the convo continues on the Forum when it switches over.

@AnAngryAmerican, time will tell - but keep in mind that Barbre graded out really well in pass pro last year as the Eagles LG - even when Lane Johnson was suspended for 10 games. In 262 pass snaps, he allowed 2 sacks and 14 pressures - and did so without Johnson as LT. Leary's pass pro stats look good, but that's in the context of Tyrone Smith and Travis Frederick bookending him, when the film shows he's the pass pro weak link there.

Leary would be a road grader with Bolles for sure in the run game - so your concern that we don't beef up a lockdown run blocking side is very much on-point - it may be that pass-pro actually is better with Barbre as LG, rather than Leary. Time will tell. Either way, as discussed before, this really knocks the shine off Leary's long-term prospects as our LG if he can't crack the lineup - by year 3, no excuses on being able to win a starting job, at least not on an OL that's far from elite.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/07/releasing_allen_barbre_is_a_mistake_by_the_eagles.html

Lane Johnson is the Right Tackle for the Eagles and was replaced during the ten games by a fifth round rookie. The Left Tackle is Jason Peters.

Fify.
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, if you can, I encourage you all to come post on the updated forum.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/forum/28-denver-broncos/

PLEASE PM ME
If you have any problems signing in there with your existing username and password.

I know some of you (myself included) don't have an active email address that is linked to footballsfuture. If you need this updated to receive emails from FootballsFuture - please let me know what email you would like to be linked to footballs future and I will pm Webmaster asking him to update your profile to a current email address.
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumped the gun, anyone who did not sign up for the beta cannot get into the new forum yet. August 12th be ready though!
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Lane Johnson is the Right Tackle for the Eagles and was replaced during the ten games by a fifth round rookie. The Left Tackle is Jason Peters.

Good catch, brain cramp.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep trying to post on the new site with no success so I'll respond here.

IMO moving Leary to RG makes a lot of sense. Combined with Watson we've got quite a "power" side and his pass pro faults are more easily handled. He's a bull, but still a plodder. Not much for change of direction. Neither is Max.

With Leary at LG and a rookie at LT defenses will run successful stunts against them all day. Same situation with Max.

Putting a quicker, veteran OG next to Bolles will strengthen that side a lot. I think that's why Barbre was brought in. He'll recognize the defenses better and let Bolles know whats coming.

Personally I like the set up.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: