You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

110 of 111 NFL Brains Studied Found to Have CTE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: 110 of 111 NFL Brains Studied Found to Have CTE Reply with quote

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet since the NYT published this article yesterday, but I thought it definitely should be something that is discussed.
Quote:
Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist, has examined the brains of 202 deceased football players. A broad survey of her findings was published on Tuesday in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

Of the 202 players, 111 of them played in the N.F.L. — and 110 of those were found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., the degenerative disease believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head.

Quote:
But 110 positives remain significant scientific evidence of an N.F.L. player’s risk of developing C.T.E., which can be diagnosed only after death. About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players had tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur
Original Study: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2645104

Although I couldn't imagine a world were professional football is banned or sees a massive curb in popularity because of its dangers, I could definitely see a furthered curtailing of the sport's popularity in amateur levels - particularly among parents - which could could to a purge of talent overall.

What I really hope comes from this is an increased awareness of player mental health by continued investment in helmet technology, player awareness, and extended health pensions form the league for brain health.
Kiwibrown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think getting rid of helmets and pads is the way to go.

Rugby sees less head injuries than the NFL due to its contact rules.
///mcompact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwibrown wrote:

I don't know if these guys, who've trained their whole life tackling a certain way/closing in at full speed, can retroactively do it. It's like taking a drag racer who's raced on big daddy slicks/wheelie-bars and having him race with 10.5" drag radials. They're going to crash into the wall.

It would take for the NFL to shut entirely down, for at least a decade and then have newly trained blood come in and try to implement Rugby tactics with NFL style rules.
bananabucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwibrown wrote:

yeah... that would not end well
OleXmad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's not good.....But this isn't exactly surprising. Hopefully eventually we can develop technology to the point where you can't tell the difference between Madden and a real NFL game and the NFL just plays video games on sundays.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are two different statements. 111 of the 222 were NFL players. 110 of the 222 had concussions. But i didn't read anything besides that line.

El ramster on the sig
Bobikus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwibrown wrote:

I don't think they can completely get rid of helmets, but I think the latest helmets to try and mitigate concussions are soft on the exterior? Would make them much less appealing to ram people with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11sanchez11 wrote:
I think those are two different statements. 111 of the 222 were NFL players. 110 of the 222 had concussions. But i didn't read anything besides that line.

I think it means that of the 111 NFL players, 110 of them had CTE, but more still had it despite not playing in the NFL. At the end of the article, it says "Of the 202 brains studied, 87 percent were found to have C.T.E." It goes on to say that even high school players had mild cases of it.

I really don't know how football in it's current form is going to survive this. Yes, it will go on in the next decade. But 20 years from now? The talent pool is going to start drying up when parents don't let their kids play.

The only way forward is a drastic change in the way they play.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the study's numbers are accurate, there is going to need to be some change. Forcing the safest helmets on players would be a good start. While complete removal of helmets seems asinine to me, a more absorbent, non-solid exterior helmet seems like the way to go.

The Vicis Zero1 helmet that is starting to be used this season on a volunteer basis. Looks pretty promising:
https://shop.vicis.co/products/zero1

Nacho Simulation Football League
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think different helmets are going to help significantly. Only thing I can think if is like a full body suit/armor that doesn't allow the head to move that quickly after collisions. Idk how that would work tho.

El ramster on the sig
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11sanchez11 wrote:
Yeah, I don't think different helmets are going to help significantly. Only thing I can think if is like a full body suit/armor that doesn't allow the head to move that quickly after collisions. Idk how that would work tho.
Only thing that will eliminate concussions is to not play football. The key is that all these players, especially the parents of young players, have the knowledge of what playing football can do. If the risk is still assumed by the players even after having the knowledge of what it might do, then that's on them. Now, I'm all for keeping the progression going on player safety and trying to limit the big hits as much as possible but the only sure way to eliminate them is to not play.

El ramster on the custom sig!
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems bizarre to me that we get headlines saying "Scientific study finds being hit in the head is bad for you".

Well, duh.

It's a violent and dangerous job, and players are compensated more than fairly for it. Miners and fireman suffer terrible respiratory problems when they get older because of smoke and dust inhalation. People who work with heavy machinery get hearing problems and nerve damage from vibrations. Lumberjacks are lucky to end their lives with the same number of fingers they started with. ER doctors and nurses are sleep deprived and worked to exhaustion. Even office workers get RSI in their hands and elbows.

Life wears your body down, no matter what you do, there's nothing you can do about it. At least football players are lucky enough to go what they love for a living, for more money and a higher standard of living than 99% of the people that have ever lived on this planet.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
El ramster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where could I make at least 10 Million for some CTE baby sign me up..
Easiest money of my life tackling some fools..

Every one of those football players would do it all over again.
Same as being in the army, They have a sense of pride and they love the game/country..

Remember it's only like 1% of the population that can play in the NFL.
Only the elites of the elites.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
It seems bizarre to me that we get headlines saying "Scientific study finds being hit in the head is bad for you".

Well, duh.

It's a violent and dangerous job, and players are compensated more than fairly for it. Miners and fireman suffer terrible respiratory problems when they get older because of smoke and dust inhalation. People who work with heavy machinery get hearing problems and nerve damage from vibrations. Lumberjacks are lucky to end their lives with the same number of fingers they started with. ER doctors and nurses are sleep deprived and worked to exhaustion. Even office workers get RSI in their hands and elbows.

Life wears your body down, no matter what you do, there's nothing you can do about it. At least football players are lucky enough to go what they love for a living, for more money and a higher standard of living than 99% of the people that have ever lived on this planet.

This is more of an argument that there needs to be better focuses on worker health in more industries, not that we shouldn't be concerned about it for football.

"Getting hit in the head is bad for your head" is common sense, yet the NFL has put a lot of effort into downplaying talk of the severity of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Where could I make at least 10 Million for some CTE baby sign me up..
Easiest money of my life tackling some fools..

Every one of those football players would do it all over again.
Same as being in the army, They have a sense of pride and they love the game/country..

Remember it's only like 1% of the population that can play in the NFL.
Only the elites of the elites.

Yeah, young people say this and go into football and they're rich and everything's fine.

And then they're 43 and brain damaged and committing suicide.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: