You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's get hypothetical: Kirk Cousins edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:

With Cousins, IMO he's not an elite QB, he's a product of an offense that had a bunch of weapons and who had his best year overall (not just in yards) in 2015 when he had Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVey as his position coach and OC....

A bunch of weapons?

In '15 his leading two rushers were Morris at 750 yards and Jones at 490. A mediocre rushing attack. He also only had one receivers play all 16games and that was Pierre Garcon and he had a decent season.

Look at '16, rushing attack was similar buy maybe worse, with Kelly at 704yards and Jones at 460. He had two receivers play in all 16games in Garcon and Jackson and those guys werent making him look better, pretty sure he was one of the top QBs in yards through the airs. Its not like he was throwing shorts passes and the WRs were just making crazy plays for him.

No way would I say the weapons for the Redskins made Cousins look better

Yeah he looked good in Shannys and McVeys schemes but thats the whole point. You want players to look good in your scheme. It makes everything work! You are a moron if you take a QB who excels in say the WCO system and try and make him be a QB in a Vertical passing attack. I bet you Manning would of been an awful QB if you put hi in a Option type offense. There is a reason BB and Brady are so good, the system is a perfect marriage for them.

Then we must agree to disagree....with Garcon and Jackson along with Jordan Reed and Jameson Crowder (who had a solid rookie season and even better second season), and Vernon Davis who had a solid year also in 2016.....unless your saying cousins would put up the same numbers with the Wr's and TE's we had last year?
And thank you for helping my point of view...yes cousins was one of the leauge leaders in yards through the air...but do you think he would be able to do that if Jackson was running over the top of CB's and Jordan Reed wasnt blowing by Safties in the seam? I assure you Garry Barnage wasn't beating pro bowl safties up the seam....

Now this next question, lets look at it within reason....not I'm not saying you put Peyton Manning in the RGIII 2014 read option...or course he would fail. I've seen Brady run a West coast system, a Deep Ball system and a passing game built off TE's...Bill B is a Defensive coach...and his offense coordinators have changed significantly over the years, and so has his offensive system yet Brady keeps plugging along and winning championships....
Are you saying Kirk Cousins will perform at the same level when he does not have the weapons he has had access to, and without two of the Brightest Offensive minds in the game drawing up a perfect passing game based off his strengths, not to mention one of the best Oline coaches in the NFL drawing up protection schemes for him.
I think if you put Alex Smith or Andy Dalton on that skins team with Shanny and McVey, they put up the same numbers as cousins....
Put Cousins in the Rams offense last year, he dosent put up NEAR the numbers he does IMO...you put Brady on that same Rams team...they make the playoffs IMO.

Humbly Submitted.

I can go into this in more detail later while I'm at my computer. I'm not saying he made that offense but I'm not saying he is a product of the weapons he has. He had a solid cast of weapons around him. To me if you sucked wih that kind of talent around you, than you are a bad QB. But I also believe if you put an avg QB in that position, they still won't put up the numbers like Cousins did. When I think of surrounding talent making a QB better I'm looking at the 07 browns and what that talent did for Anderson, Brad Johnson with the Bucks. Brock with the Broncos, and etc

And I respect your point of view, I just have a different one...to me cousins is not the type of QB that "Elevates" the Wr's around him...like a Drew Brees, Arron Rogers, Rapelessburger, Tom Brady and I dont feel that Cousins does that. Maybe I'm Wrong....could be....but its my opinion based off watching him live (I live in the DC (17 years) area and attend about 2-3 games a year) and on TV.
And one of the Brothers mentioned that his "2 #2 WR's"....IMO there are only 10-12 #1 WR's currently in the NFL (would be higher if Josh Gordon could get his act together)...IMO just because you play the #1 WR role, dosent make you a #1...Kenny Britt is a great example....IMO, #1 Wr's are Wr that would instantly become the #1 WR on 20 NFL teams. A Wr who's going to produce consistently year in and year out no matter who's the QB...(my list is: AJ Green, A. Brown, D. Hopkins, D. thomas, J. Jones, OBJ, D. Bryant, A. Jefferies and B. Cooks...theres room on the list). having said that, when you do have 2 #2 WR and one of them is one of the top 5 deep threats in the entire leauge, and the other is in the top 5 as far as possession receivers IMO...couple that with one of the Rare TE's who can function as a #1 "Reciever" (Gronk, T.Eiferet, T. Kelce, G. Olson, Jimmy Grahm and Jordon Reed ). I call those weapons far from league Average IMO.
Two of the top 5 #2's in the entire NFL (IMO) and a #1 weapon receiving weapon TE....I just have a different opinion...Not saying I'm right or your wrong. We just see things different.

How do we know Cousin's cant reach the level of being a QB who Elevates the talent around him. You name off Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Rapelessburger but I dont remember those games making everyone better the instant they became a starter. It took them a couple of seasons to reach a level that they are now well established QBs and then took everyone else to the next level. Cousins has only been a starter for only two seasons.

I know how good the talent around Cousins, but dont you think the likes of his pass catchers benefit having a QB who can throw pretty damn accurate at such a high level with out it being a constant dink and dunk attack. Cousins did lead the lead last year in having the most yards through the air. So its not like he was throwing short routes and the pass catchers are then just eating up the yards. I want to say his avg pass was 8.11 yards, 3rd highest in the league but yet he completed 67% of his passes. Only QBs with a higher avg and a higher percentage was Brady and Matt Ryan.

Washington has talent but their talent doesnt make Cousins. Some of the things Cousins has done in Washington, isnt a plug and play type thing. Yeah he has been in a good system but he kills that system and has done it the past two years.

We don't know that he can't. But you don't proactively pay him as if he can when it is unknown. In the same breath, we can ask the same question about Brock, kizer, Kessler, and hogan. How do we know that they can't elevate the level of talent around them?
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:

With Cousins, IMO he's not an elite QB, he's a product of an offense that had a bunch of weapons and who had his best year overall (not just in yards) in 2015 when he had Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVey as his position coach and OC....

A bunch of weapons?

In '15 his leading two rushers were Morris at 750 yards and Jones at 490. A mediocre rushing attack. He also only had one receivers play all 16games and that was Pierre Garcon and he had a decent season.

Look at '16, rushing attack was similar buy maybe worse, with Kelly at 704yards and Jones at 460. He had two receivers play in all 16games in Garcon and Jackson and those guys werent making him look better, pretty sure he was one of the top QBs in yards through the airs. Its not like he was throwing shorts passes and the WRs were just making crazy plays for him.

Yeah he looked good in Shannys and McVeys schemes but thats the whole point. You want players to look good in your scheme. It makes everything work! You are a moron if you take a QB who excels in say the WCO system and try and make him be a QB in a Vertical passing attack. I bet you Manning would of been an awful QB if you put hi in a Option type offense. There is a reason BB and Brady are so good, the system is a perfect marriage for them.

Then we must agree to disagree....with Garcon and Jackson along with Jordan Reed and Jameson Crowder (who had a solid rookie season and even better second season), and Vernon Davis who had a solid year also in 2016.....unless your saying cousins would put up the same numbers with the Wr's and TE's we had last year?
And thank you for helping my point of view...yes cousins was one of the leauge leaders in yards through the air...but do you think he would be able to do that if Jackson was running over the top of CB's and Jordan Reed wasnt blowing by Safties in the seam? I assure you Garry Barnage wasn't beating pro bowl safties up the seam....

Now this next question, lets look at it within reason....not I'm not saying you put Peyton Manning in the RGIII 2014 read option...or course he would fail. I've seen Brady run a West coast system, a Deep Ball system and a passing game built off TE's...Bill B is a Defensive coach...and his offense coordinators have changed significantly over the years, and so has his offensive system yet Brady keeps plugging along and winning championships....
Are you saying Kirk Cousins will perform at the same level when he does not have the weapons he has had access to, and without two of the Brightest Offensive minds in the game drawing up a perfect passing game based off his strengths, not to mention one of the best Oline coaches in the NFL drawing up protection schemes for him.
I think if you put Alex Smith or Andy Dalton on that skins team with Shanny and McVey, they put up the same numbers as cousins....
Put Cousins in the Rams offense last year, he dosent put up NEAR the numbers he does IMO...you put Brady on that same Rams team...they make the playoffs IMO.

Humbly Submitted.

I can go into this in more detail later while I'm at my computer. I'm not saying he made that offense but I'm not saying he is a product of the weapons he has. He had a solid cast of weapons around him. To me if you sucked wih that kind of talent around you, than you are a bad QB. But I also believe if you put an avg QB in that position, they still won't put up the numbers like Cousins did. When I think of surrounding talent making a QB better I'm looking at the 07 browns and what that talent did for Anderson, Brad Johnson with the Bucks. Brock with the Broncos, and etc

And I respect your point of view, I just have a different one...to me cousins is not the type of QB that "Elevates" the Wr's around him...like a Drew Brees, Arron Rogers, Rapelessburger, Tom Brady and I dont feel that Cousins does that. Maybe I'm Wrong....could be....but its my opinion based off watching him live (I live in the DC (17 years) area and attend about 2-3 games a year) and on TV.
And one of the Brothers mentioned that his "2 #2 WR's"....IMO there are only 10-12 #1 WR's currently in the NFL (would be higher if Josh Gordon could get his act together)...IMO just because you play the #1 WR role, dosent make you a #1...Kenny Britt is a great example....IMO, #1 Wr's are Wr that would instantly become the #1 WR on 20 NFL teams. A Wr who's going to produce consistently year in and year out no matter who's the QB...(my list is: AJ Green, A. Brown, D. Hopkins, D. thomas, J. Jones, OBJ, D. Bryant, A. Jefferies and B. Cooks...theres room on the list). having said that, when you do have 2 #2 WR and one of them is one of the top 5 deep threats in the entire leauge, and the other is in the top 5 as far as possession receivers IMO...couple that with one of the Rare TE's who can function as a #1 "Reciever" (Gronk, T.Eiferet, T. Kelce, G. Olson, Jimmy Grahm and Jordon Reed ). I call those weapons far from league Average IMO.
Two of the top 5 #2's in the entire NFL (IMO) and a #1 weapon receiving weapon TE....I just have a different opinion...Not saying I'm right or your wrong. We just see things different.

How do we know Cousin's cant reach the level of being a QB who Elevates the talent around him. You name off Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Rapelessburger but I dont remember those games making everyone better the instant they became a starter. It took them a couple of seasons to reach a level that they are now well established QBs and then took everyone else to the next level. Cousins has only been a starter for only two seasons.

I know how good the talent around Cousins, but dont you think the likes of his pass catchers benefit having a QB who can throw pretty damn accurate at such a high level with out it being a constant dink and dunk attack. Cousins did lead the lead last year in having the most yards through the air. So its not like he was throwing short routes and the pass catchers are then just eating up the yards. I want to say his avg pass was 8.11 yards, 3rd highest in the league but yet he completed 67% of his passes. Only QBs with a higher avg and a higher percentage was Brady and Matt Ryan.

Washington has talent but their talent doesnt make Cousins. Some of the things Cousins has done in Washington, isnt a plug and play type thing. Yeah he has been in a good system but he kills that system and has done it the past two years.

We don't know that he can't. But you don't proactively pay him as if he can when it is unknown. In the same breath, we can ask the same question about Brock, kizer, Kessler, and hogan. How do we know that they can't elevate the level of talent around them?

True but you look at what has already been done, Its hard to pass up Cousins for the likes of Kizer or Kessler. To me Brock wont ever be it, he has shown his true colors. Kizer and Kessler at least havent done that.

I honestly would rather take the chance on Cousins than any of the QBs on the Browns. We are at least getting a proven legit QB and a QB who would have a smaller learning curve since Gruden and Hue have some what of a similar offense and a background with one another.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
NudeTayne wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:

A bunch of weapons?

Humbly Submitted.

Gonna put my status as everyone's favorite poster in jeopardy by puttingb this out there: if we don't believe we have our QBOTF on our roster and we can get Cousins reasonably affordably (like two seconds), we should trade for Cousins. My other account (buno67) makes some solid points.

At this point, a narrative has been established that Cousins is overrated. I see a consistent edge-of-elite starter better than the likes of Flacco, Eli etc. He will get 5/140 in free agency, which will be surpassed again soon as the cap continues to climb. I like Kessler and Kizer, but if Hue/Sashi decide these guys aren't going to be anything special, I trade for Cousins. I see Drew Brees potential. The system QB statement is not based in reality IMO. This is the NFL; Alex Smith didn't turn into a stat monster just because he went to a better (and stable-P -ben development) system. Here just became more efficient. Cousins is accurate, confident and a leader. He is 28, healthy and happy to keep grinding and improving--get the sense that he wants to be great.

That punchable face tho.

You're no longer my favorite poster. That's by default going to NudeTayne.

And I think he's kind of hot. You guys would probably consider my face punchable too. Razz

Every face is deserving of punching at some time in it's life.

Cousins just has that look where everytime you look at him you think, "That some time is now".

I've never met you, but you own a sous vide so it's not a stretch to think you have that look too.

Cousins looks like he cooks everything sous vide.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

NudeTayne is no longer my favorite poster. I bestow that honor (honour for you other people) to you.

Come on people this forums on its last legs, lets quote tree the hades out of it!

Is punching someone because they have a punchable face a hate crime? Seems like you would be hating them solely because of their appearance, no different than hating someone because they have long hair, an earring, a different skin color (or colour for those who still use outdated English) or because they are a different gender.

I'm putting Ditch on notice.

He is no longer my favorite (or favourite) poster (or postour?) because of that. Now my favorite (or favourite) poster is me, who was my second favorite (or favourite).
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like Cousins. He's a very good QB, and I'm not sure he's reached his potential yet. He's done a good job with Washington and they'd be a pretty damn good team if they had any semblance of a defense. I'd be slightly hesitant, but I think I'd give up Houston's first IF a contract extension is in place.

Doesn't really matter, though. I don't see Washington trading him.
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
I do like Cousins. He's a very good QB, and I'm not sure he's reached his potential yet. He's done a good job with Washington and they'd be a pretty damn good team if they had any semblance of a defense. I'd be slightly hesitant, but I think I'd give up Houston's first IF a contract extension is in place.

I agree about Washington not trading him. No way would I give up a first and then make him the highest paid player in the league though.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:
DawgX wrote:

I agree about Washington not trading him. No way would I give up a first and then make him the highest paid player in the league though.

It seems to me he said something a year or two ago about not wanting to play for Cleveland, I did a search and didn't find anything but for some reason that stuck in my head.

I am against giving up a 1st round draft pick for the opportunity to essentially sign a free agent. Having 2 1sts and it being a QB who I believe has proven to be a franchise guy that should be anywhere from 5th to 12th best QB in the league I would make an exception.

It would be foolish to do this after drafting Kizer, if it were to hypothetically happen it should have hypothetically happened before the draft. Kessler would be a great backup and what I believe to be a very good security blanket should Cousins be injured or not play up to the expectation. Kizer would be a wasted piece, I suppose if we could get a 2nd for him that would be okay.

Still, something tells me that he doesn't want to play in Cleveland. If that is the case, I wouldn't want him and he wouldn't sign an extension anyway.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleveland Gets:

Kirk Cousins QB
2018 2nd round pick
2019 2nd round pick
Otto Porter SF

Washington Gets:

Kyrie Irving PG
John Greco OG
End Run

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
Cleveland Gets:

Kirk Cousins QB
2018 2nd round pick
2019 2nd round pick
Otto Porter SF

Washington Gets:

Kyrie Irving PG
John Greco OG

Washington's asking for Lindor, though.
buno67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End Run wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:
Cleveland Gets:

Kirk Cousins QB
2018 2nd round pick
2019 2nd round pick
Otto Porter SF

Washington Gets:

Kyrie Irving PG
John Greco OG

Washington's asking for Lindor, though.

then they better throw in ovechkin!
NudeTayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
NudeTayne wrote:
Gonna put my status as everyone's favorite poster in jeopardy by putting this out there: if we don't believe we have our QBOTF on our roster and we can get Cousins reasonably affordably (like two seconds), we should trade for Cousins. My other account (buno67) makes some solid points.

At this point, a narrative has been established that Cousins is overrated. I see a consistent edge-of-elite starter better than the likes of Flacco, Eli etc. He will get 5/140 in free agency, which will be surpassed again soon as the cap continues to climb. I like Kessler and Kizer, but if Hue/Sashi decide these guys aren't going to be anything special, I trade for Cousins. I see Drew Brees potential. The system QB statement is not based in reality IMO. This is the NFL; Alex Smith didn't turn into a stat monster just because he went to a better (and stable-P -ben development) system. Here just became more efficient. Cousins is accurate, confident and a leader. He is 28, healthy and happy to keep grinding and improving--get the sense that he wants to be great.

That punchable face tho.

You're no longer my favorite poster. That's by default going to NudeTayne.

And I think he's kind of hot. You guys would probably consider my face punchable too. Razz

Every face is deserving of punching at some time in it's life.

Cousins just has that look where everytime you look at him you think, "That some time is now".

I've never met you, but you own a sous vide so it's not a stretch to think you have that look too.

Cousins looks like he cooks everything sous vide.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

NudeTayne is no longer my favorite poster. I bestow that honor (honour for you other people) to you.

Come on people this forums on its last legs, lets quote tree the hades out of it!

Is punching someone because they have a punchable face a hate crime? Seems like you would be hating them solely because of their appearance, no different than hating someone because they have long hair, an earring, a different skin color (or colour for those who still use outdated English) or because they are a different gender.

I'm putting Ditch on notice.

He is no longer my favorite (or favourite) poster (or postour?) because of that. Now my favorite (or favourite) poster is me, who was my second favorite (or favourite).

Is not punching someone with a punchable face because one fears of retribution for a hate crime not a hate crime in itself--to the universe's being built on a complex relationship of opposites, cause and effect--by resisting? Seems like you would be not hitting them solely because of the societal identity politic (or politique for those who still use made up English) consequence.

Ditch's proton fist (positively charged to create an inflammatory response) would be magnetically compelled irresistibly to Cousins's electron face (negatively charged to, as we call it in the scientific field according to Neil De Grasse Tyson, "ask for it").

I'm putting Thomas on notice.

He is no longer my Swingeringest (or Favreauite) pastor (or Pasteur?) because of that. Now my Vince Vaughnest pastor is me, who was already tied for favourite. Ditch moves up to #2 in my football ministering/wedding crashing power rankings.

ditchdigger wrote:
DGB thinks people ought to pay for photobucket, but Based Gordon wants it to be free.

Thomas5737 wrote:
I only come here to sit under the quote trees and read.
bruceb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like y'all have lost your minds.

Good thing camp is just about here.

Woof!
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

True but you look at what has already been done, Its hard to pass up Cousins for the likes of Kizer or Kessler. To me Brock wont ever be it, he has shown his true colors. Kizer and Kessler at least havent done that.

I honestly would rather take the chance on Cousins than any of the QBs on the Browns. We are at least getting a proven legit QB and a QB who would have a smaller learning curve since Gruden and Hue have some what of a similar offense and a background with one another.

I guess that's my problem....because what its going to cost to get him in terms of picks (anyone not talking about multiple picks including a 1rst is just not realistic about Washington's asking price) and what's its going to cost to keep him (25M a season)....cant be no "Take a chance"...you better be Drew Brees right now....
Not a QB who has not proved he can do it without elite talent, AND has a habit of throwing BIG redzone Int's in CRUCIAL games.....Red Right 88 once is enough.

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Sounds like y'all have lost your minds.

Good thing camp is just about here.

Woof!

Thank God for Camp and all the Browns related news it'll bring. Some of these posts have been going on stupidity for far too long. Irving and Greco for Cousins and Porter... Cousins is an expiring contract and the contracts don't even match! They would need to include a few bullpen prospects to make the numbers work. Plus I would want another goalie for the Monsters as well!

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
mtmmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy trade two number 1s plus 2 number 2s
Pay cousins 50,00,00 over the first 6 months you have your qb for the next 6 years
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtmmike wrote:
Easy trade two number 1s plus 2 number 2s
Pay cousins 50,00,00 over the first 6 months you have your qb for the next 6 years

That, or just sign him in the offseason and use those draft picks.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: