You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Championships, Wimbledon 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seminoles1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: The Championships, Wimbledon 2017 Reply with quote

Well...that escalated quickly.

Nadal loses in 4th round in epic.
Murray loses in Quarterfinals after injury.
Djokovic retires in Quarterfinals.

Congratulations to Sam Querrey! Second year in a row he's pulled off a huge upset at Wimbledon, and he becomes the 1st male American to make the Semifinals of any Grand Slam since Andy Roddick at Wimbledon in 2009.

Federer is the only Big 4 member left, and he's now a huge favorite. He's looked awesome. Cilic will be tough, though.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
Nightmare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to back years Sam Querrey has beaten the defending champion and current world No.1 at Wimbledon. Yeah, Murray was injured, but that's a great thing to be able to say you've done.

On the subject of Murray, I actually think it was a big mistake for him to play this tournament. He was clearly injured in the few weeks leading up to it, and going out there and playing a bunch of matches with a clearly injured hip just doesn't seem like the best idea. Most likely he felt a bit of pressure what with it being his home Slam and the fact he would have surrendered both his title and the No.1 spot by not playing, but sometimes you've got to put your health first, and struggling through 4 matches probably wasn't the best idea. I guess the fact he'll keep the top spot for a while longer seeing as Novak went out in the same round is one positive to take from it.

Can't believe how good Federer looks, though. The way he's playing right now is genuinely like we've gone back in time 10 years. Last year when he was getting taken apart by Raonic I was almost certain he was done as a Slam contender, and then this year happened. Even with a healthy Murray and Djokovic I think he'd have won it. It's absolutely ridiculous.
bkobow05

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling for Fed. I wanna see 20 titles. In prime position to grab #19.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Centre Court tickets Friday.

Murray has looked off all tournament and against a relentless serve his hip gave out. Such a shame as he had opportunities to win in straight sets. He needs to take some time off now that run in Q3 and Q4 last year has completely wrecked him.

Nadal was absolutely on fire and was my favourite after seeing him, but he completely fell apart in the first two sets against Muller and it's very hard to come from behind against a big server. Such a shame as Roger-Rafa final would have been epic.

Federer is imperious right now, he's literally dismantled everyone he's played against. I don't see him dropping another set to be honest.

tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federer's a yr. older than me but man what an awesome player. Still doing well at that age in tennis. If he's not the greatest ever, he's close.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to hate on Andy Murray right now, and this may be a dumb question, but why is he included in "The Big 4" when the other 3 guys have won way more Slams than him?

BackfieldBlitz wrote:
Let that be a warning to the rest of the NFL
You don't give the ball back to Blaine Gabbert
Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
I'm not trying to hate on Andy Murray right now, and this may be a dumb question, but why is he included in "The Big 4" when the other 3 guys have won way more Slams than him?

Because he's been so far ahead of the rest of the field (not including Federer, Djokovic or Nadal obviously) in the past decade that it deserves notice. He's been closer to the top 3 guys than the rest of the tour have been to him, with Wawrinka's last few years peaking at Slams being a possible exception.

This includes:
- 11 Grand Slam finals (from which only 3 wins is a slight mark on his record, admittedly)
- 12 Masters titles, which is the same number as Federer, and to further emphasize the challenge of winning a Masters 1000, nobody outside the big 4 have won more than 1 each
- being an almost constant fixture in the top 4 , including his current run as world number 1 which is now nearly 7 months long

This level of continuous success deserves to be recognized, and the Big 3.5 sounds stupid.
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
ninerfanwheelz wrote:

Because he's been so far ahead of the rest of the field (not including Federer, Djokovic or Nadal obviously) in the past decade that it deserves notice. He's been closer to the top 3 guys than the rest of the tour have been to him, with Wawrinka's last few years peaking at Slams being a possible exception.

This includes:
- 11 Grand Slam finals (from which only 3 wins is a slight mark on his record, admittedly)
- 12 Masters titles, which is the same number as Federer, and to further emphasize the challenge of winning a Masters 1000, nobody outside the big 4 have won more than 1 each
- being an almost constant fixture in the top 4 , including his current run as world number 1 which is now nearly 7 months long

This level of continuous success deserves to be recognized, and the Big 3.5 sounds stupid.

And just to add a bit more to it, basically for much of the big 4 era if you weren't in the big 4 you didn't beat them. They really only lost to each other. While Andy has a losing record against all 3 he has substantially more wins against them than any other player and many of the loses were tight hard fought matches. He was never particularly out matched or outclassed. Just beat.

Ultimately he won't be lumped with the 3 historically as among the best of the best ever, but when talking about this era he clearly belonged with them rather than the field. You were never surprised if he beat the other three let alone made a match of it. That really couldn't be said about the rest of the tour.

And another addendum to above he also added 2 gold medals, which have been important to the big 4 during their run. While points wise it may not be the "5th grand slam" or even a 1000 Masters, the top players were clearly circling it along with the grand slams as the most important tournaments of the year.

#JDI
Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I forgot about the Olympics, good shout. Something Federer or Djokovic have never won (in singles, anyway), and he's done it twice. You only had to see Djokovic's reaction after he lost last summer in Rio to confirm just how much that hurts him. That remains the only time I've ever seen him cry following a loss.

Murray has also won a World Tour Finals, which is something Nadal has never achieved.

Realistically, nobody is saying Murray is on the same level as the four guys above him. But if he played 10-15 years earlier (or later the way things are looking right now), he's most likely a 10+ Slam winner.
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, that's what I figured. Again, wasn't trying to hate on Andy as he's such a great player

BackfieldBlitz wrote:
Let that be a warning to the rest of the NFL
You don't give the ball back to Blaine Gabbert
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
Can't believe I forgot about the Olympics, good shout. Something Federer or Djokovic have never won (in singles, anyway), and he's done it twice. You only had to see Djokovic's reaction after he lost last summer in Rio to confirm just how much that hurts him. That remains the only time I've ever seen him cry following a loss.

Murray has also won a World Tour Finals, which is something Nadal has never achieved.

Realistically, nobody is saying Murray is on the same level as the four guys above him. But if he played 10-15 years earlier (or later the way things are looking right now), he's most likely a 10+ Slam winner.

It must be so frustrating for him. He would have rolled the 90s.

sunnygsm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed makes it to another final. Hoping he can grab #19.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnygsm wrote:
Fed makes it to another final. Hoping he can grab #19.
He is playing at an incredible level...but so is Cilic. I expect a very good Final.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feds and Cilic just started, should be a good match, be interesting to see who wins.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federer is ridiculous at 35.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: