You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Old Car Needs Expensive Repair, Move On?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do?
Repair A/C despite the looming inspection need in Oct.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Drive without A/C, I can survive until Fall
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Buy a new car
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Old Car Needs Expensive Repair, Move On? Reply with quote

Ok so here's the details. I drive a 1998 Isuzu Trooper, I have for years and I love the vehicle. I would drive it forever if I could. But the AC is broken in it, and my mechanic tells me it will cost $1,400 to repair.

My wife and I got married last year, bought a house, and bought her a new car (her's actually completely died). So we dropped a lot of cash last year, that combined with the fact that I enjoy my current vehicle and don't want a car payment has me not wanting to buy a new car for myself. Also if I sold my existing vehicle I would practically get nothing for it. It's much more functionally valuable than monetarily at this point.

Now, not having air conditioning is obviously not going to keep me from driving the vehicle, but I work in an office where I have to where dress pants and a long dress shirt every work day, and I have to meet with clients. So showing up soaking wet is not ideal. Also, I live in Virginia, and if you've ever been there its pretty much a swamp, with some of the most humid summers you can imagine.

On top of this, my car will have to be inspected and pass in October, and who knows what could come up in the inspection. So dumping more money into it seems pretty foolish at this point. I know for a fact I'm going to need new tires this year, which are going to run me around $1,000.

Right now I'm leaning towards just sticking it out without the A/C until the fall and seeing how bad things look in October. Thoughts?

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1,400 for fixing AC on a older Isuzu seems insane.

Im seeing brand new AC compressors for Isuzu's from anywhere from 50-150 bucks.

I would order a new AC compressor and anything else you need(AC clutch), and get a bunch of different quotes from mechanics, youll see they will be all over the place but a few will be the same(thats probably the more correct price).

If you have a friend who is a good wrench then your GOLDEN, specially it being a Isuzu you could find one parting out or sitting at a junk yard with a full functional AC compressor waiting to go , probably be a easy bolt on type project on those cars, i imagine everything is decently easy to get to.

Last edited by Bednarik60 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
$1,400 for fixing AC on a older Isuzu seems insane.

Im seeing brand new AC compressors for Isuzu's from anywhere from 50-150 bucks.

I would order a new AC compressor and anything else you need, and get a bunch of different quotes from mechanics, youll see they will be all over the place but a few will be the same(thats probably the more correct price).

If you have a friend who is a good wrench then your GOLDEN, specially it being a Isuzu you could find one parting out or sitting at a junk yard with a full functional AC compressor waiting to go , probably be a easy bolt on type project on those cars, i imagine everything is decently easy to get to.
There are 3 parts that need replacement.

edit - before you ask, no I don't remember which ones. Dude said $1,400 on the phone and I was like well crap. I'm not even picking the vehicle up until tomorrow so I'll find out more then when I'm there in person.

Last edited by MKnight82 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
There are 3 parts that need replacement.

I would order them your self if you can. Be so much cheaper. And again just call around and tell them you got the part and you need a quote.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking what Beds saying.

Neighbor just went through the same thing. Watched enough youtube vids, and hunted the net and junkyards till he was able to repair it himself at a fraction of the cost it would have with a mechanic.

If you could hunt down the parts at decent prices. Then at least take the old system off. Having a mechanic install for you shouldnt be but 130 worth of labor at most I would think if charging 65 a hour.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
Liking what Beds saying.

Neighbor just went through the same thing. Watched enough youtube vids, and hunted the net and junkyards till he was able to repair it himself at a fraction of the cost it would have with a mechanic.

If you could hunt down the parts at decent prices. Then at least take the old system off. Having a mechanic install for you shouldnt be but 130 worth of labor at most I would think if charging 65 a hour.
Can't do it myself, I live in the city. There's no where for me to work on the car.

I guess I'll find out what parts tomorrow and research online. But I've been using this mechanic for 15 years and he doesn't overcharge me.

scoobz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's always the option of ditching it and getting a cheap beater car in decent condition in the meantime that's less money than the repairs will cost.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new car.

Ignoring the AC (which I wouldn't), I wouldn't spend $1000 on tires on a 20 year old truck unless I had other transportation first.

If it were me I'd get a new car and buy some used tires for the Izuzu. You could still drive it until dies completely and have a reliable vehicle for work, etc. Having a beater for keeping miles down on a new car and for snow is nice.

It's not as if there's any point in trading it in and liability only coverage would be dirt cheap.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
If it were me I'd get a new car and buy some used tires for the Izuzu. You could still drive it until dies completely and have a reliable vehicle for work, etc. Having a beater for keeping miles down on a new car and for snow is nice.

This is pretty solid logic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Get a new car.

Ignoring the AC (which I wouldn't), I wouldn't spend $1000 on tires on a 20 year old truck unless I had other transportation first.

It's not as if there's any point in trading it in and liability only coverage would be dirt cheap.
I should of mentioned I have a company car I can drive during the day. I only use the Trooper to get to and from work, and on weekends.

RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobz wrote:
there's always the option of ditching it and getting a cheap beater car in decent condition in the meantime that's less money than the repairs will cost.

USED CARD

If you're really strapped for cash and just need a new vehicle. It can't be THAT hard to step up from a 98 Isuzu Trooper. Razz

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
[If you're really strapped for cash and just need a new vehicle. It can't be THAT hard to step up from a 98 Isuzu Trooper. Razz
Hey man I love that Trooper lol.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really love it, buy the parts and do it yourself. The Trooper should have a lot of room to move under the hood and you can find instructions on how do anything online. Lots of videos on YouTube.

Unless you put crazy big tires on it, $1k would be a ridiculous amount to spend on tires for a Trooper. You can get good tires for it in the $500-$600 range.

If you're done with it, don't want to work on it, then let it go. If you don't want to get into a car payment, start looking at doing stuff yourself. You'll probably spend less than the $1400 with the tires.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobz wrote:

Yeah, agreed. I don't know what's with this only two options thing: 1) keep a failing car or 2) spend $$$ on a brand new car.

Spend 3-5k cash on a reliable used car until you're in a better financial spot.

BTW - i'm in the same situation. Drive a $500 car, but i'm going 150 miles every day. The A/C is out, i live in Ohio. Not quite as humid, but still 85F+ every day. I'm toughing it out for one more year until i'm done with my assignment and able to scale down the mileage. Don't want to beat up a newish car and take the depreciation hit.

I just roll down the windows. It's not too bad in the morning. In the afternoon i change before i leave from business casual to shorts and t-shirt. If anyone asks, i'd just say i'm going to the gym or w/e.

~T.S. Eliot
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been driving w/o AC in central florida for like a year and you adapt man. open the windows & stick your leg out there to get some ventilation through your shorts/pants & it's all good. air out the sweaty spots. i'd ride it until it dies personally, but if it hinders your day go ahead and trash it man.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: