You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Calvin Johnson speaks again

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Calvin Johnson speaks again Reply with quote

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/07/11/megatron-playing-lions-anymore/103609210/

Quote:
“I mean, I thought about it,” Johnson said, when asked if he thought about changing teams. “Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it’s not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.

“I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn’t see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall … and not going anywhere.

“It’s the definition of insanity,” Johnson said with a chuckle.

When asked by the interpreter if that was why he retired, Johnson said, “Yep, and the body.”

So he didn't mind being stuck with a $132 million contract extension, but then wanted to be let out of his contract to go form a "superteam"? Rolling Eyes

I love everything Calvin gave us while a member of the Lions. Someone hire him a PR manager though.
BroncoSojia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson speaks again Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/07/11/megatron-playing-lions-anymore/103609210/

Quote:
“I mean, I thought about it,” Johnson said, when asked if he thought about changing teams. “Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it’s not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.

“I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn’t see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall … and not going anywhere.

When asked by the interpreter if that was why he retired, Johnson said, “Yep, and the body.”

So he didn't mind being stuck with a $132 million contract extension, but then wanted to be let out of his contract to go form a "superteam"? Rolling Eyes

I love everything Calvin gave us while a member of the Lions. Someone hire him a PR manager though.

I don't see why that would be necessary. I mean he just spoke the truth about your franchise. Just because some people's feelings were hurt doesn't mean he needs a publicist.
Maverick12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson speaks again Reply with quote

BroncoSojia wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

I don't see why that would be necessary. I mean he just spoke the truth about your franchise. Just because some people's feelings were hurt doesn't mean he needs a publicist.

I don't think people are denying what he's saying, but it's the timing of it that makes it weird. When he first retired he claimed it was due to his body breaking down, now this spring/summer he's practically blamed the Lions for everything.

What he's saying may be true, but he looks petty doing it.

If I'm the Lions I give him the green light to sign with another team if he wants to, cause it seems to me he's blaming the Lions for not being able to play now, instead of his body
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson speaks again Reply with quote

BroncoSojia wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

No matter the franchise, no matter the truth, saying things of this nature publicly is not acceptable or PR. A publicist would be only a start. Truly anyone that thinks this is correct in any form, even if they were talking about a AAA franchise, could probably use some counseling. Even LeBron was more PR than this and what he did was blatant.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson speaks again Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
BroncoSojia wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

I don't think people are denying what he's saying, but it's the timing of it that makes it weird. When he first retired he claimed it was due to his body breaking down, now this spring/summer he's practically blamed the Lions for everything.

What he's saying may be true, but he looks petty doing it.

If I'm the Lions I give him the green light to sign with another team if he wants to, cause it seems to me he's blaming the Lions for not being able to play now, instead of his body

Exactly.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He told his family, some select coaches, Stafford and a couple of other players that he was going to retire after an 11-5 season. That decision was cemented by going 7-9 the following year, despite going 6-2 in the 2nd half of the year under a new offensive coordinator. The following year, the Lions went 9-7 without him, but with his 13 million in dead money.

It seems to me that he retired because he didn't want to be part of another regime change, which he viewed as being another rebuild. I don't think he expected the Lions to be very good in 2016. He was wrong, he wants to play again, and he's currying public favor.

Calvin Johnson is a nice man and a great player. This situation, however, is entirely his fault. Some people seem to be clouded by Calvin's reputation vs. the Lions reputation, which is valid.

For those saying that he needs to hire a PR person, he probably already did. He's completely wrong, but what he's saying is incredibly popular. The public sees this as Barry 2.0, which it clearly isn't.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
He told his family, some select coaches, Stafford and a couple of other players that he was going to retire after an 11-5 season. That decision was cemented by going 7-9 the following year, despite going 6-2 in the 2nd half of the year under a new offensive coordinator. The following year, the Lions went 9-7 without him, but with his 13 million in dead money.

It seems to me that he retired because he didn't want to be part of another regime change, which he viewed as being another rebuild. I don't think he expected the Lions to be very good in 2016. He was wrong, he wants to play again, and he's currying public favor.

Calvin Johnson is a nice man and a great player. This situation, however, is entirely his fault. Some people seem to be clouded by Calvin's reputation vs. the Lions reputation, which is valid.

For those saying that he needs to hire a PR person, he probably already did. He's completely wrong, but what he's saying is incredibly popular. The public sees this as Barry 2.0, which it clearly isn't.

I agree with all of this. This is all on Calvin. If he wanted a trade, he could have went to his agent and told him to get him out of Detroit. He could have sat out to force the Lions hand. He could still be playing today somewhere else. But, he's not. That's on him, so it's whatever. I have a hard time trying to care about any of this.
jollyninja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:

as a point of note the Lions made the playoffs the year after Barry retired too. That was also not a garbage roster.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jollyninja wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

as a point of note the Lions made the playoffs the year after Barry retired too. That was also not a garbage roster.

May not have been a "garbage" roster but it still wasn't very good. Only reason that they made the playoffs was because their opponents were based on a 5-11 season the year prior. They played a good number of bad teams and stumbled their way into the playoffs.

MathMan wrote:
You're the best player in the game at this.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson speaks again Reply with quote

BroncoSojia wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

Told the truth? He claimed that he was 'stuck' in his contract here. That's asinine. Not to mention, did he even ask for a trade?

Calvin was worn out and didn't see the team being successful. I don't blame him for retiring. But to pout about the circumstances after the fact (while making such terrible excuses) makes him sound ridiculous.

Team Stylish

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give him the green light and give him what he wants HAHAHA. No way. You don't act like a baby and get what you want. You want to leave then find a way to work out a trade and leave. Be professional about it and stop spouting off to make the team look like they are petty. This is just ruining your reputation here and that is sad because us Lions fans adored you in the way a true superstar should be.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: