You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Hire Brett Veach for GM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Chiefs Hire Brett Veach for GM Reply with quote

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/7/10/15949512/official-brett-veach-is-the-kansas-city-chiefs-new-gm

“After a comprehensive search process, I am pleased to announce that we have hired Brett Veach to serve as the next General Manager of the Kansas City Chiefs,” Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said in a statement. “Brett has a sharp football mind, a tremendous work ethic and a keen eye for finding talent. Over the last four seasons he’s played a critical role in building our football team. I look forward to working with him to continue to build on the strong foundation we have in place.”

Guy has a good track record and started out with Reid. Hope he's not a yes man
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/26/15862256/lets-get-to-know-brett-veach-the-chiefs-in-house-gm-candidate

Young. Only 39.

J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Andy Reid make all the football decisions?

Whats the point of Veach?
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

He carried the title "assistant TO the Head Coach" under Andy Reid at one point. He's already familiar with serving Andy Reid. Now gets to do it from the highest level.

I would not like this hire as a KC fan. Seems like the ultimate yes man type hire so Reid can run the show which has never served him well previously.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

He carried the title "assistant TO the Head Coach" under Andy Reid at one point. He's already familiar with serving Andy Reid. Now gets to do it from the highest level.

I would not like this hire as a KC fan. Seems like the ultimate yes man type hire so Reid can run the show which has never served him well previously.

Thing is he's actually a great scout from what I've heard. Got Fletcher Cox drafted in Philly, and has gotten good reviews from everybody. Was a GM candidate for the Bills this year.

The HC and GM do report separately to the owner so I've got some hope. It at least keeps continuity because he's obviously got a good rapport with the team and coaching staff
Piquel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

I'm pretty sure Dorsey was hired as a Reid "yes man".
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested. The chiefs have a good team there, let's see what Veach can do to help improve that.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the Chiefs power structure, but I'm assuming that Reid has most of the personnel say, and if that's the case, I think this works just fine. If that's the case, I think that you want good chemistry, which these two should have given how long they have worked with one another, and his scouting background will help if Reid is trying to pick between a group of guys. I guess the most important question would be can he crunch numbers and work the cap well? I'm assuming that will be his main job. Obviously, Dorsey didn't leave the cap situation in the best way possible

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piquel wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

From Greenbay?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Piquel wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

From Greenbay?

Dorsey sure wasn't fired for his scouting ability. I like the Veach hire and think he's promising, but I don't think he's a step up from Dorsey in that regard.

No one knows the full story, but I don't see Veach making a move without Reid okaying it first. Is that a yes man, idk, but it appears Reid has more power than the GM.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Piquel wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

From Greenbay?

Yes man is not the right term for either Veach or Dorsey. But Andy Reid was hired before John Dorsey was in 2013. Andy Reid had to be comfortable with the GM, and had significant say in the hiring of John Dorsey as GM. Andy Reid has ALWAYS been the most powerful figure in the chiefs organization under Clark Hunt. It was a true parternship with him and Dorsey and they worked together, but picked Dorsey as his GM then, and he picked Veach as his GM now (along with Clark Hunt) Does that mean Veach and Dorsey were both "Yes men"? Thats not the term I would use, but if you want to use that term then both Dorsey and Veach were yes men to Reid. It will still be a collaborative effort with Reid and Veach just like it was with Reid and Dorsey. So not much is really changing in the structure. Just the person.

So Reid has significant power, but he is NOT the GM like he was in his last years in philly. As the coach he has significant input in what they look for in draft picks, but he is not the GM.
samsel23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Piquel wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

Yes man for Andy Reid.

From Greenbay?

Yes man is not the right term for either Veach or Dorsey. But Andy Reid was hired before John Dorsey was in 2013. Andy Reid had to be comfortable with the GM, and had significant say in the hiring of John Dorsey as GM. Andy Reid has ALWAYS been the most powerful figure in the chiefs organization under Clark Hunt. It was a true parternship with him and Dorsey and they worked together, but picked Dorsey as his GM then, and he picked Veach as his GM now (along with Clark Hunt) Does that mean Veach and Dorsey were both "Yes men"? Thats not the term I would use, but if you want to use that term then both Dorsey and Veach were yes men to Reid. It will still be a collaborative effort with Reid and Veach just like it was with Reid and Dorsey. So not much is really changing in the structure. Just the person.

So Reid has significant power, but he is NOT the GM like he was in his last years in philly. As the coach he has significant input in what they look for in draft picks, but he is not the GM.

Simply put Reid has no ties to any draft pick, therefore he won't ever get blame in KC even though he has the most input.

Don't get me wrong I like Reid, but that is a terrible position to be in as a GM and I believe that is why Dorsey went off and did things on his own.

Definitely rooting for Veach though, he seems like a great hire even if it was just a promotion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Reid was very selective about when he chose to wield his power though. I do not believe that he was running all of the chiefs drafts since 2013 and making the final say on every choice though. In Philly he was the one responsible for that, and that takes a toll. I think he had significant say on the first round offensive picks. I believe he was at the center of us drafting players like Eric Fisher and Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, Mitch Morse. that is not to say that John Dorsey didn't like those players as well, but I think that Reid was the biggest influence in the drafting of those players. It is his offensive system after all, so it makes sense.

Other than those handful of picks though, I think Reid allowed Dorsey to run the show ( and gave him input from a coaches perspective on dorseys players) but ultimately let Dorsey make the picks. I do not believe for 1 second that Reid was the one drafting Dee ford or Tanoh Kpassagnon, or Chris Jones etc.
samsel23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
I think Reid was very selective about when he chose to wield his power though. I do not believe that he was running all of the chiefs drafts since 2013 and making the final say on every choice though. In Philly he was the one responsible for that, and that takes a toll. I think he had significant say on the first round offensive picks. I believe he was at the center of us drafting players like Eric Fisher and Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, Mitch Morse. that is not to say that John Dorsey didn't like those players as well, but I think that Reid was the biggest influence in the drafting of those players. It is his offensive system after all, so it makes sense.

Other than those handful of picks though, I think Reid allowed Dorsey to run the show ( and gave him input from a coaches perspective on dorseys players) but ultimately let Dorsey make the picks. I do not believe for 1 second that Reid was the one drafting Dee ford or Tanoh Kpassagnon, or Chris Jones etc.

I agree with that and I have no issues with that..

I think the issue comes with Reid being a players coach and getting stuck on his guys. Do I believe Reid would have Okay'd the releasing of Maclin and Charles? Not for a second. Do I believe Hunt would have sided with Reid over Dorsey. Definitely. What as a GM do you do? Keep overpaid and injured players, or do what you feel is best for the team. It never made sense Dorsey left a voicemail, other than Dorsey wanted to do it before Reid found out.

But again I like the hire, hope he succeeds and sticks to his guns.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't this situation ready clearly as:

Dorsey and Reid went into those spots as equals on the personnel side.
Reid had more of Clark Hunt's ear than Dorsey did.
Reid didn't agree with Dorsey's moves and demanded a change such that he would have personnel control.
Hunt hired a guy whose former title at one point basically was "Andy Reid's Coffee Retriever" to be the face on all of Reid's decisions.
Maybe Reid has figured out the personnel side of things since his days in Philly.

Should add that Veach does have a very good reputation as a scout, but this seems very much a situation of a man being put into a GM role when in actuality he's not the decision maker, he's the primary information compiler.

This is very similar to the Milwaukee Bucks hiring John Horst as GM in the NBA.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: