You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Cycling Thread | Vuelta a Espana starts Aug 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kempus

Location: An economy based on endless growth is, UNSUSTAINABLE!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doping or no doping. I've thoroughly enjoyed this tour. Its probably more down to the fact the riders have better equipment, nutrition, training reigimes and are generally more professional. I guess its a matter of personal preference, which is fair enough. Shouldn't be any GC moves in todays stage, but you never know.

Winner of the Soccer Forum Legend Award
kyle21121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kempus wrote:
Doping or no doping. I've thoroughly enjoyed this tour. Its probably more down to the fact the riders have better equipment, nutrition, training reigimes and are generally more professional. I guess its a matter of personal preference, which is fair enough. Shouldn't be any GC moves in todays stage, but you never know.

Agreed 100%

All of those are factors as well technology and equipment is better and nutrition is definitely better than it's ever been people are more physically fit for the tour and certainly on top of their game. Those certainly contribute.

This has been the best tour in a while I'm enjoying it very much.
kempus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb ride by Sunweb, today. Distancing Kittel early on and riding hard all day. Matthews finishes it off with the stage win and 50 green jersey points. Kittels lead cut to 29 points. Its a toss up who wins it at this point. Definitely didn't think I would be saying that a few days ago. Dan Martin losing some serious time in the cross winds, too.

kyle21121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea it was A great ride by Matthews today for sure. Max 50 points. Kittel dropping so early. The green jersey race has started to heat up. It looked like a long shot but today was the perfect day indeed. He's going to need to be vigilant on those sprints. Looking at the profile for tomorrow with the Sprint being so early he could take some more points off Kittel. But there are two more Sprint stages for Kittel which he could win.

It is a real shame for Dan Martin that he missed that split. He lost 1:15 on the Porte crash and now 0:50 today he'd have been right in the thick of things otherwise. Contador also lost time but he was done anyways and George Bennett abandoned he was riding high in 12th a tremendous effort for him. It sucks he couldn't finish and try for a top 10 GC.
bkobow05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
Oh yea it was A great ride by Matthews today for sure. Max 50 points. Kittel dropping so early. The green jersey race has started to heat up. It looked like a long shot but today was the perfect day indeed. He's going to need to be vigilant on those sprints. Looking at the profile for tomorrow with the Sprint being so early he could take some more points off Kittel. But there are two more Sprint stages for Kittel which he could win.

It is a real shame for Dan Martin that he missed that split. He lost 1:15 on the Porte crash and now 0:50 today he'd have been right in the thick of things otherwise. Contador also lost time but he was done anyways and George Bennett abandoned he was riding high in 12th a tremendous effort for him. It sucks he couldn't finish and try for a top 10 GC.
Is it really no longer the yellow jersey? Did Lance really kill that color? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:

Is it really no longer the yellow jersey? Did Lance really kill that color? Laughing

No of course not haha. There are actually 4 separate Leaders Jerseys for 4 separate classifications.

Yellow - Overall Leader - Time based it's for the top overall riders only few riders can win this. It's the Lance Jersey you get this.

Green - Points - Awards points mainly for the sprinters who cannot win in the mountains but are the fast men that can win those stages where the entire peloton (field of riders) are together you would get 30 points for the win and it descends with fewer points for 2, 3, 4, etc. And on intermediate Sprint sections throughout the race you will also get points usually 20 and descends for 2, 3, 4, etc to pass that point.

Polka-Dot - King of the Mountians - It awards points for the first rider to pass over the peak of a mountain passage the amount of points depend on how hard the climb is there are category 4, 3, 2, 1s and HC which is a climb that is beyond category and by far the hardest in the tour. I know you get a single point for being the first to pass a category 4 and 25 for a beyond category and it is a descending amount for the 2, 3, 4, etc. When they pass just like with the points classification it also doubles on a mountain top finish where you would get 50 points if the stage ends on a beyond category and you win it.

White Jersey - Best Young Rider - This is awarded based on time just like the yellow except it is for riders only 25 and under. It is not super uncommon for a rider to win both this and the yellow jersey in the same year.

There used to be a combination Jersey that combined all 3 of those (excluding white) I know Greg Lemond won it but it stopped in the late 80's or early 90's I believe.

The Best Team which is something that is also awarded is the combination of the top riders on the team based on their total time they would wear the yellow numbers to indicate they are the top team.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was so exciting today was that Marcel Kittel started the day up 79 points a pretty healthy lead at this point but Michael Matthews got the maximum 50 points (20 for the Intermediate Sprint and 30 for the win) where as Kittel was shut out early and it's down to 29 points.

Kittel is a straight sprinter who has won 5 stages and could still win up to 7 which would be one shy of the record 8 I'm sure a lot of people expected him to potentially win today's stage.

Matthews is a better all around cyclist and can actually contend on some mountain ranges which Kittel simply cannot and is able to steal some points here or there and win on much more difficult stages and uphill finishes. He has only won two stages but has been very good on all the intermediate sprints and was able to win the two stages that Kittel simply could not contend on in which he got no points and is also able to finish top 5 behind Kittel and collect solid points on days Kittel has won.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kittel doesn't win the green jersey it will strengthen my belief that points shouldn't be awarded for intermediate sprints on mountain stages.

kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
If Kittel doesn't win the green jersey it will strengthen my belief that points shouldn't be awarded for intermediate sprints on mountain stages.

I see both sides to this. I personally have no problem with it but it does make it harder for the best sprinter to actually win the award. Sagan and Matthews are different riders they aren't pure sprinters they aren't noted as being the fastest man in the peloton like Cav or Kittel this year.

My guess is Matthews will try and get in an opening break will his way up that cat. 2 climb and take another 20 points off Kittel today. Look for that. I'm not sure what tomorrow's stage looks like or if it's feasible but Kittel should be favoured in Friday's flat stage and into Paris to collect maximum points.

I like it because it's making it close. Kittel would have ran away with it otherwise and provides less intrigue. But again I understand your stance.

Today's stage is gonna be great. Love the early start time. Hopefully there is some sort of shake up.
Buc Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of intermediate sprints, especially in the mountains. It is too weighted towards guys like Sagan and Matthews who aren't pure sprinters and are able to get in the break.

That's why I found all the cries of bias from the Sagan fans after his exclusion to be quite funny. The competition was effectively changed to favour guys like him.

It does make a case for a combined points category, which would allow the green jersey to be more geared towards pure sprinters. Nobody really wants to see a green jersey winner that you wouldn't consider to be a top 3 sprinter.
Buc Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

I see both sides to this. I personally have no problem with it but it does make it harder for the best sprinter to actually win the award. Sagan and Matthews are different riders they aren't pure sprinters they aren't noted as being the fastest man in the peloton like Cav or Kittel this year.

My guess is Matthews will try and get in an opening break will his way up that cat. 2 climb and take another 20 points off Kittel today. Look for that. I'm not sure what tomorrow's stage looks like or if it's feasible but Kittel should be favoured in Friday's flat stage and into Paris to collect maximum points.

I like it because it's making it close. Kittel would have ran away with it otherwise and provides less intrigue. But again I understand your stance.

Today's stage is gonna be great. Love the early start time. Hopefully there is some sort of shake up.

If only the finish was at the top of the Galibier, then there would be fireworks. Having a descent before the finishes wastes these stages a bit for me.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buc Ball wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

If only the finish was at the top of the Galibier, then there would be fireworks. Having a descent before the finishes wastes these stages a bit for me.

I agree it certainly does the mountain top finish is fantastic we have had a lot of finishes on the descent this tour.

And Marcel Kittel just abandoned. Real shame. Was hoping for a final day in Paris with some meaning.
kempus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, huge shame for Kittel. Matthews has won green then. Looks like Sunweb are going to win polka dot and green.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

Is it an issue if Kittel were to run away with it? If he's clearly the best sprinter? Maybe other teams would gear themselves towards the green jersey it they knew it was a pure sprinting contest?

At least Matthews has won a stage.

kempus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aru and Martin lost time, but there weren't the fireworks that I expected on the stage. I wish there were a couple more mountain top finishes on this Tour. Having said that, tomorrow is pretty much all or nothing for anyone who wants to beat Froome. Bardet, Aru and Uran all need to try something spectacular and distance Froome. Going to be very difficult with the Sky team defending him, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Froome ride off the front himself to be honest. Either way, it should be the most exciting day of the tour.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: