You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Cycling Thread | Vuelta a Espana starts Aug 19
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle21121

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Official Cycling Thread | Vuelta a Espana starts Aug 19 Reply with quote

Prologue TT starting in a few hours. Who's watching?

Picks:

Yellow - Porte
Green - Sagan
Polk dot - Majka
White - unsure, Meintjes? If he still counts
Team - Movistar

Just don't want to see Froome or Contador win. Not sure if Quintana can do it. Valverde? Could he win it?

Last edited by kyle21121 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope Cav returns to fitness and can pick up 1 or 2 stages.

I really hope anybody but Sagan wins the green, winning intermediate sprints is such bs. Green should be for the best pure sprinter, but that's just me.

I'd like to see a new winner, but ideally a young breakthrough guy.

I'd like to see Contador crash on the prologue.

kyle21121

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
I just hope Cav returns to fitness and can pick up 1 or 2 stages.

I really hope anybody but Sagan wins the green, winning intermediate sprints is such bs. Green should be for the best pure sprinter, but that's just me.

I'd like to see a new winner, but ideally a young breakthrough guy.

I'd like to see Contador crash on the prologue.

Yea it's a shame what Cav is going through he is an all timer and the fastest current sprinter for sure.

Sagan is a lock. I'd like to see someone else win it but he's just much more well rounded than any other sprinter and can still those points when the other sprinters are have conceded the day.

Firstly really sucks for Valverde and Movistar that is a huge loss he could have reasonably won and it hurts Quintana.

Porte lost some time he shouldn't have in the prologue arguably Froome's biggest competition this year he starts off in a less than ideal position but he's far from out of it. He still is the closest favourite behind Froome at this point though.

Team Sky absolutely killed day 1. Thomas is perfect for a prologue like that with his extensive track background.

Kittel looked good day one and day two he had a very good TT and after that stage win he could be in line for an extra win or two if Cav can't get back to form. He did finish 4th though so maybe he can get back quick is a heck of a competitor.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great riding from GvK.

Feeling a Kittel or Griepel win. Griepel always wins a stage and he was close on stage 2.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sagan with a disgusting elbow on Cavendish, should be DQ, looks like the end of Cavs tour. He was favourite in that sprint.

kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Sagan with a disgusting elbow on Cavendish, should be DQ, looks like the end of Cavs tour. He was favourite in that sprint.

Yea that was bad. It was definitely intentional. I can understand other sprinters having some form of animosity against Cav because he's the best and he'll tell you, he is close to the all time tour wins record or he may have it. He has done enough to be recognized as one of the sports best on the biggest stage.

I believe this hurts Sagan's legacy more imo. He has won 5 straight green jerseys and it seemed like no one was stopping him anytime soon. Zabel has the record of 6 and he was probably gonna match that this year. I think getting 6, 7, 8 or maybe even 9 in a row was in play and is not something that would ever be matched. Sagan seems like an easy going guy it seems out of character for this to happen but idk I guess it was his Heat of the moment instinct.

This really opens up the Green Jersey race for the first time in a while. Kittel or Griepel now have position to claim something they may not have thought about and let's not for get the young Frenchman Demare who had a nice win today the first sprint win for France at Le Tour since 2006 I think I heard that would be so big for the country.

Now getting back into things this stage looks interesting with a finish on a cat 1. We could see the first shakeup. I wonder who's gonna attack Froome today.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm this is tough. Everything I've heard and read Cav and Sagan have a good relationship and he has no rep as a dirty rider. I stand by a heat of the moment move he didn't stay in his line. Cav did make a calculated risk trying to come over from the outside in a narrow finish. The bow sure looked intentional though. It was still probably the right call but it is a shame the other option would have been take away all of his points and have him start at zero for today's stage I'm not sure that would have been enough though.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(@AndreGreipel)
Sometimes I should watch images before I say something. Apologies to @petosagan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD7DJzYUQAAbMB-.jpg

Cav being the jerk hes always been, the cheapskate rider hes always been. And Sagan took the fall for it.
Cav got some karma served and what he deserved out of it. Sagan got robbed.

Same happened in the Olympics. Cav wrecked a guy for a medal, suffered no dq, walked away innocent and with a medal for it.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
(@AndreGreipel)

Cav being the jerk hes always been, the cheapskate rider hes always been. And Sagan took the fall for it.

Same happened in the Olympics. Cav wrecked a guy for a medal, suffered no dq, walked away innocent and with a medal for it.

Great find. I wasn't able to see any of that on the replays I have watched.

First of all I completely forgot about his track incident. I know Cav to be an irritant but I always went on the side of arrogance as opposed to dirty which to me arrogance is okay if you are the best and you want to talk that is fine. Some people are like that and it does provide some more flair and excitement on the finishing sprints. That was bad though what he did in the Olympics.

I do not wish injury or a DQ on anyone I wish they were both still in it for the pure excitement of the sport. From what I saw was Sagan out of line and maybe being frustrated throwing a bow that maybe he didn't want to actually land but enough to let Cav know and unfortunately it hit I saw intention enough that I believed it to be the right call because it is very dangerous and it was. Had it not connected I still think he should have lost points for that day's stage that he won for finishing second which considering how much he wins the green by it wouldn't have mattered that much.

Now it's much tougher as it is much more likely that it was a balance issue that I had seen brought up but I dismissed. What Cav did there treads on the side of dirty. He made a risky play and was getting boxed in this no doubt has been done by other riders in similar situations and even scrums before. He needed the room or he would have crashed regardless now I'm not defending him but it seemed like he had to do that or slow down which would have taken him out of contention to win the stage and sprinters are crazy they will go all out in that situation and no doubt that's what Cav was thinking.

I guess we could go back to the had Sagan stayed more in line would this have happened? Maybe. Maybe not. He absolutely wanted to take out his best competition by forcing him out but I was more focused on the elbow as the main issue for the DQ.

If I was in charge I would have taken away points from Sagan but not DQ'd him after seeing that.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify as I don't think I was as elagant as I could have been: Sagan going out of line in an attempt to box Cav in and force him out of contention for the stage lead to the head butt which lead to the elbow due to balancing which lead to the fall and crash of Cav. That brings me to a penalty of yesterday's second place finish as punishment.

Had they taken more time to review it that likely should have been the punishment.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
(@AndreGreipel)

How does a still show a headbutt? Cav it's already almost in the barriers there, perfectly understandable to lean on Sagan, as is common in sprints.

Cav has accepted blame for that crash and to be honest it's nowhere near as bad as a road race sprint incident.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling/olympic-crash-leaves-mark-cavendish-8644520

Regardless of what Cav did or didn't do, Sagan didn't take the fall for anyone, it was cleared he elbowed Cav into the barriers at 40mph which is a career threatening incident.

Cav is a grade A tool but that doesn't excuse Sagan, who should know better.

kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that would excuse the elbow would be if it was a catch you're balance type of moment. Which now in my mind could have been. I'm not saying it definitely was but I believe it's possible and maybe even likely now I stand by Sagan forcing the entire situation with his placement and that Cav was just trying to gain room as he was still trying to win the stage.

It may not have been the blantent act of violence that could put a career in jeopardy as I originally thought.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On to today's race I'm gonna take Thibaut Pinot. He's already 3:55 Back it's his home town finish he's gonna be fired up and may make an interesting attack. Otherwise all the GC contenders should be in the mix it's a fairly tough final few kms on this mountain finish shouldn't be a major shake up of the top men but it will give us our first look to who is in form and who's not.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(@AndreGreipel)

Also this is a horrible misrepresentation of what Griepel actually said.

Quote:
Greipel's manager at Lotto-Soudal Marc Sergeant said his rider was fuming at Sagan for his sprint tactics.

"I asked Andre. He was quite (naughy word - we'll use upset) by the attitude of Sagan, making some moves which he shouldn't make," Sergeant told Eurosport.

"Yesterday it was the same thing in the intermediate sprint, he gave an elbow to Andre and he (Greipel) was a little bit (another naughy word - we'll use upset again) yesterday.

"Twice in a row is too much. Greipel was saying, 'He isn't my friend anymore from now on'."

I think Griepel was apologising for the last bit.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
On to today's race I'm gonna take Thibaut Pinot. He's already 3:55 Back it's his home town finish he's gonna be fired up and may make an interesting attack. Otherwise all the GC contenders should be in the mix it's a fairly tough final few kms on this mountain finish shouldn't be a major shake up of the top men but it will give us our first look to who is in form and who's not.

BMC trying to give Porte a shot at clawing back some time on Froome

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: