Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders extend RG - Gabe Jackson for 5 years 56 million
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tannenballs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bad signing. You can find solid guards in the 3rd-5th round every year. The average super bowl team spends like 16% of the cap on OL. Raiders spending 13% on two guards...

Jackson is a good player, but even the biggest homer can't say this is a good value. You don't win in the NFL by paying players what they're worth (or in this case, more), you win by paying players less than they're worth.
tannenballs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SB average for Top 2 cap hits is 16.31%

With Carr's deal, Mack would have to take a deal for around 7-9 million for this to work out. Actually nevermind, they are already way over this with Osemele/Jackson Laughing

Poor Raiders, it's not their fault. They just don't know. You don't have this much of a top heavy roster construction and win championships.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do realize it doesn't matter how you spend your cap as long as you win right? The raiders have an identity on offense and that's to have a dominating o-line, can't exactly have that without Jackson.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
marshallplan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannenballs wrote:
This is a bad signing. You can find solid guards in the 3rd-5th round every year. The average super bowl team spends like 16% of the cap on OL. Raiders spending 13% on two guards...

Jackson is a good player, but even the biggest homer can't say this is a good value. You don't win in the NFL by paying players what they're worth (or in this case, more), you win by paying players less than they're worth.

You're mad and upset, because deep down you wanted him to become a FA and sign with your team and you're disappointed it didn't happen- And so you're stuck with the junk you have and the GM that is junk as well-
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
People do realize it doesn't matter how you spend your cap as long as you win right? The raiders have an identity on offense and that's to have a dominating o-line, can't exactly have that without Jackson.

Exactly, this, like i said before is /thread.

Is he a good player? Yes.

Can the team afford to let him walk? No.

Is he vital to what this team does to win? Yes.

Is he overpaid? Yes, but not by all that much.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
tannenballs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshallplan wrote:
tannenballs wrote:

You're mad and upset, because deep down you wanted him to become a FA and sign with your team and you're disappointed it didn't happen- And so you're stuck with the junk you have and the GM that is junk as well-

Laughing couldn't be more wrong
tannenballs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Is he a good player? Yes.

Can the team afford to let him walk? Yes.

Is he vital to what this team does to win? No.

Is he overpaid? Yes.

Fixed this for you.

Really for me this has nothing to do with the player. He's a good one. I think it's crazy to pay this much money to 1 OG. 2 is nuts.

If the Raiders are going to win the Super Bowl, this is the year. After they pay Mack it will almost be impossible. Not totally impossible, but I wouldn't go against the 25 or so SB Champs (since FA) way of roster building.
drfrey13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not have a problem with this signing if the plan is to rotate KO to LT after this year and have Gabe move back to LG. They both will be paid well but their salaries should be much closer to what is expected. I would rather they go into next years off-season looking for a RG than a LT.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they can still keep Mack and Coop and other decent starters/key depth guys AND afford a FA or two, I don't see the issue. If you've got the money and a guy worth the money, spend it. There's no sense in having $50M+ in cap space every year.
daineraider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
As long as they can still keep Mack and Coop and other decent starters/key depth guys AND afford a FA or two, I don't see the issue. If you've got the money and a guy worth the money, spend it. There's no sense in having $50M+ in cap space every year.

Shouldnt be an issue with the rising cap and the young players we still have on their rookie deals.

Mack is under contract for 2 more years, but will probably get his extension next offseason

Cooper(if we pick up his option) has 3 more years under contract before we have to extend him.

Mario Edwards has 2 more years under contract

Jalen Richard/DeAndre Washington both have 3 more years

Karl Joseph 3 years(plus the 5th year option available)

Sean Smith can be cut after this season with $0 dead money and save $8.5 and $9 mil the next two seasons if needed

Austin Howard can be cut this year or next and save $5.5 and $5 mil the next two seasons

Reggie Nelson can be cut after this season with $1.2 mil dead cap and save $4.6 mil

Lee Smith can be cut this year to save $3 mil or he will be a FA after the season

Michael Crabtree can be cut after this season with $0 dead money and would save $7.5 and $8 mil the next two seasons(I dont see this happening unless his play drops off dramatically).

Marshawn Lynch(if he disappoints this season) can be cut with $0 dead cap after the season and save $6 mil for next season

Sebastian Janikowski is in the last season of his contract and will save $4 mil off the books next year. Not sure if he will be resigned or if we will go with Tavecchio(who has played well in the last few offseasons) starting next year.

Jared Cook is also able to be cut after this season with $0 dead money and would save $5.3 mil.

None of those players are in the long term plans(except for maybe Crabtree) and will open up $44 mil dollars in Cap Space if needed. Reggie has set up contracts in a very team friendly way. I dont think we part with all these guys at once, but just showing that we have plenty of options to get the $$$ that we need. Reggie will continue to build thru the draft and low priced FAs.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/cap/

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind spotrac hasn't updated gabe jackson yet
daineraider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
keep in mind spotrac hasn't updated gabe jackson yet

All the #s I listed are updated and the Jackson contract is why I didnt list our current cap space.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
marshallplan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders #1 in dead money cap space-

Reggie McKenzie would and should win GM of the year this season- Guys one of the best in the NFL-
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshallplan wrote:
Raiders #1 in dead money cap space-

Reggie McKenzie would and should win GM of the year this season- Guys one of the best in the NFL-

You guys just had your first winning season in 14 years. While there is definite reasons for optimism, let's not count the chickens before they're hatched. I like Oakland but there is a very real possibility they do not match last year's success next year. And while McKenzie has done an admirable job especially acquiring talent through the draft, I'd rather wait and see how he does down the road. I'm not convinced he is an expert managing the cap and paying two guards this amount of money hasn't shown to have success on other rosters.

I do hope it works out for the Raiders, as I like the squad and want to see them do well. But you kinda seem like a homer, here. Sustained success is the measure of a good GM - not a single season.

Nacho Simulation Football League
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I'm not convinced he is an expert managing the cap

That's the only thing he's an expert at. Drafting is a whole lot of luck and he has missed on many FA signings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: