You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders extend RG - Gabe Jackson for 5 years 56 million
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every fanbase has homers. we have darkness and bayraider. its fine.

if you're referring to media hype... i mean yeah, a team on the rise with a young star quarterback. it's going to happen
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:
If Jackson's only "solid", then there aren't any great guards in the league.

Man, has any team gotten more hype than the Raiders this offseason? I'm really interested to see how they do this year. I'm not petty enough to root against them because of some of their fans, but I won't be devastated if they fail to make the playoffs either. Laughing

Repent now, HTTR.

I pointed this out last month and was lambasted by their fans. They wrote me off as someone who was overreacting to just a single, fringe Raider fan's posts.

Laughing

I'm sure we're not the only ones thinking it, just maybe the first two who pointed it out. It's pretty over the top throughout several NFL Gen and NFL Comp threads.

mike23md on the sig
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Man, has any team gotten more hype than the Raiders this offseason? I'm really interested to see how they do this year. I'm not petty enough to root against them because of some of their fans, but I won't be devastated if they fail to make the playoffs either. Laughing

Repent now, HTTR.

I pointed this out last month and was lambasted by their fans. They wrote me off as someone who was overreacting to just a single, fringe Raider fan's posts.

Aren't you a cowboy fan? You guys are always hyped, even when it's underserved. I agree the Raiders are getting a lot of hype, but they're also one of the few teams actually making moves right now so they're in the news a lot. At least it's a different team then the usual Patriots, Cowboys etc
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:

if you're referring to media hype... i mean yeah, a team on the rise with a young star quarterback. it's going to happen

Some of your fans are cool man. You're a good poster, and I like Mr. Oaktown too. Just pointing out that a lot of threads lately have been taken over by certain Raiders fans hyping up their team/players at every opportunity.

mike23md on the sig
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Some of your fans are cool man. You're a good poster, and I like Mr. Oaktown too. Just pointing out that a lot of threads lately have been taken over by certain Raiders fans hyping up their team/players at every opportunity.

Well, when they've had to suffer for as long as they have, it's somewhat understandable.

They're not exactly used to having a good team.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKenzie must've missed Ted's lesson on guards Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

What is there to hype? The Raiders are paying their best players. If Jackson was only solid, they wouldn't be paying him 10m a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
///mcompact wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Repent now, HTTR.

Aren't you a cowboy fan? You guys are always hyped, even when it's underserved. I agree the Raiders are getting a lot of hype, but they're also one of the few teams actually making moves right now so they're in the news a lot. At least it's a different team then the usual Patriots, Cowboys etc

I'm not talking about media hype, I'm talking about the over-the-top proclamations on this forum the past few months.
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly above average is not the case. The guy has 6 total penalties and 4 sacks allowed in a 3 year career. And hasn't missed a game due to injury. Excellent pass blocker, above average run blocker. Also keep in mind this is an extension, almost certain to be with money added to this coming year. So call it a 6 year deal for the 56 mil plus the existing scant 2017 rookie deal salary.

I think all football salaries are insanity personally, but that has nothing to do with the fact that he would have easily gotten that or more on the open market next year.

And no, it will not prohibit the Raiders from signing Mack. You can be assured that it would not have happened if that were the case. Only the dumbest team would bust out the dough for a great guard only to lose a better pass rusher. They also have beautifully structured contracts with money pushed forward which in some cases is already paid, cuttable contracts, and cap room planning for the future. This is what McKenzie has been doing the last two years. It also helps to draft well so you can later cut guys like Sean Smith or Reggie Nelson without penalty or loss of quality on the field.

Obviously if they pumped out drafts like '14 every year, it would be a cap problem eventually. And it might if guys like Karl Joseph turn out to be great players. But as of now, let's not lose it over the fact that the Raiders finally have a handful of really good players actually worth paying. So do plenty of other teams, they mostly manage the cap fine.

Last edited by holyghost on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack not getting signed now is due to the fact that unlike carr/jackson, he has a 5th year option. it's not as though the raiders brass prioritize gabe jackson over khalil mack.
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
mack not getting signed now is due to the fact that unlike carr/jackson, he has a 5th year option. it's not as though the raiders brass prioritize gabe jackson over khalil mack.

Raiders already have Mack's rights for 2 coming years, and the franchise option for at least a 3rd WITHOUT an extension. Some posters in the thread talking like Mack's gonna just walk any time soon.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Whats with the saltiness? Theres no "hyping up" Jackson is a Top 10 Guard in the league. Sorry we draft well and have Top 10 players that we have to pay.
SilverNBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:

I'm not talking about media hype, I'm talking about the over-the-top proclamations on this forum the past few months.

Would you be so kind to name a few of these over the top claims Raider fans have been making?

Whatever they are, they seem to have clearly rattled you to your core.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Raider wrote:

That's three seasons away, including this year (up to five with two franchise tags) The amount of roster turnover in the NFL in that span is quite a bit. In that time we likely would be able to get out of everyone's contract but Mack and Carr. I doubt we gave Jackson a ton guaranteed that late in the deal. Osemele, Hudson, Crabtree, etc will see their contracts expired then or in the next year. My point is, that shouldn't be a huge problem either. What will determine if we continue to have success won't be locking up Cooper it'll be if we can continue to draft talent to replace a lot of these guys who's contracts will be coming to an end.

While Cooper won't hit free agency for 3 to 5 years, it is not accurate to say that he won't be paid or relevant to the cap for 3 to 5 years. The 5th year option will be substantially more expensive than Cooper's prior cap hits (just like Mack, despite not getting paid, being slated for $14M next year. So it isn't as if the 5th year option really does too much to mitigate his cost. And while true, you can franchise him past that 5th year option, but that's going to be even MORE expensive, so I don't know how you think that potential option is an answer to the concerns of having to pay Cooper.

Realistically, similar to how Oakland has done their other extensions, Cooper will likely see a full extension in two years. He'll have his 5th year option done at that point, and they'll likely throw a little extra money on top of that within the extension. So it's two seasons until he gets paid. It is not 3 to 5. So that will see it's impact happen on the 2019 cap, at which point the player's you listed will still be under contract. They'll be cuttable at this point, so room can very, very easily be made, but having to cut players to pay other players is generally what people are talking about when they say these contracts will have an impact down the road.

I've said it before, I don't think Oakland is screwed, but this non-chalant attitude that these contracts are all so far away and everything will work itself out by then without having to do anything negative to the roster, just isn't accurate. Without knowing the details, this extension probably wipes out half of Oakland's remaining cap space for this offseason, and a third of what they have remaining next offseason. It's already going to be tighter than Oakland's cap situation has been since pre-Reggie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabe is a really good guard, going off the FA contracts handed out this offseason he really isn't overpaid. My issue with this is based on personal philosophy, I simply don't like having money tied up on two premium Guards.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: