You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders extend RG - Gabe Jackson for 5 years 56 million
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobz wrote:
with all this money being thrown around, they either are going to have to let mack walk or accept cap hell in just a few short years.

my guess is the latter. while everyone will hail the GM as a 'cap genius' in 3 years they'll call for his head.

Jackson is the type of player good GMs with large QB contracts let walk especially when they are already paying the other OG top dollar.
not even close. mack will get his mammoth extension next summer. they'll have plenty of room to make it work.

the only reason he isn't being extended this summer is because he still has a 5th year option locking him in through the 2018 season

Last edited by raiderrocker18 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchie wrote:
It's contracts like this that throw everything out of whack.... Don't get me wrong, he's solid, but Jesus...
I think most NFL fans would agree Gabe Jackson is not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination, but will now be compensated as such.
Meanwhile, players of the same caliber get cut left and right to save a million here, and a million there, yet somehow this slightly above average guard gets a $56 million contract; I guess I'll never understand it.

Maybe not elite but Jackson is in the Top 7 or 8 best guards in the league. Well worth the money.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
scoobz wrote:
with all this money being thrown around, they either are going to have to let mack walk or accept cap hell in just a few short years.

my guess is the latter. while everyone will hail the GM as a 'cap genius' in 3 years they'll call for his head.

Jackson is the type of player good GMs with large QB contracts let walk especially when they are already paying the other OG top dollar.
not even close. mack will get his mammoth extension next summer. they'll have plenty of room to make it work.

the only reason he isn't being extended this summer is because he still has a 5th year option locking him in through the 2018 season

Exactly.. fans who have no idea about our situation just coming to assumptions Laughing

We don't over pay any Free Agents, we'll have plenty of money for Mack and role player type Free Agents. Super Bowls are won through the draft.
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchie wrote:
It's contracts like this that throw everything out of whack.... Don't get me wrong, he's solid, but Jesus...
I think most NFL fans would agree Gabe Jackson is not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination, but will now be compensated as such.
Meanwhile, players of the same caliber get cut left and right to save a million here, and a million there, yet somehow this slightly above average guard gets a $56 million contract; I guess I'll never understand it.

I don't think most teams follow other people's guard play enough to tell if he's elite or not... Jackson, I believe has allowed 1 sack in the past 2 seasons. And none last year. And he's probably our second best run blocker after KO. He might not have as much name recognition as other players, but he's played at an elite level.

As far as the money issues people are bringing up, all I'll say is we'll see. Reggie hasn't signed a contract yet that leaves us without long term flexibility. A lot of teams have high paid QBS and other players, we're building mostly behind our offense. All we can say is we'll see if it works. Reggie seems to value the offense, pass rush, and corners. He doesn't seem interested in paying big money to LBS or safeties. We'll see if it delivers a championship and if it does that will make it all worth it. Osemele could still end up playing LT long term and if he does it at a high level he'll be underpaid.

I don't knock Reggie for making it a priority to lock up his young franchise QB and the line in front of him. Even if it means sacrifices at other positions. We're betting on Carr to lead us where we want to go, keeping him protected and with weapons delivered last season. Time will tell if it works in the post season.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
opeth0500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
scoobz wrote:

Exactly.. fans who have no idea about our situation just coming to assumptions Laughing

We don't over pay any Free Agents, we'll have plenty of money for Mack and role player type Free Agents. Super Bowls are won through the draft.

It's going to get a little tricky when it's time to sign Cooper.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osemele and Jackson are the only guard duo that didn't allow a sack in 2016

Gabe Jackson is a solid guard- Anybody that knows anything about football will tell you this- He avg top 15 in both pass and rushing in his career per PFF-

Great move by Reggie- locking up his horses upfront to protect his franchise QB

This is how you build a team and this is how you distribute your funds-
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opeth0500 wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
scoobz wrote:

That's three seasons away, including this year (up to five with two franchise tags) The amount of roster turnover in the NFL in that span is quite a bit. In that time we likely would be able to get out of everyone's contract but Mack and Carr. I doubt we gave Jackson a ton guaranteed that late in the deal. Osemele, Hudson, Crabtree, etc will see their contracts expired then or in the next year. My point is, that shouldn't be a huge problem either. What will determine if we continue to have success won't be locking up Cooper it'll be if we can continue to draft talent to replace a lot of these guys who's contracts will be coming to an end.

Basically long term right now we're looking at having Mack, Carr, Jackson, and Cooper making big money, but in three years when Coop could get his long term deal it's entirely possible Jackson has a smaller cap hit, Carr could be restructured, we don't know what Mack will be making but a decent amount. Point is we should still have flexibility.

Though I will say depending on how Carr plays, Cooper has the best chance of letting hit free agency.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
marshallplan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opeth0500 wrote:

Never doubt the Master- He'll get Mack done next year and depending on how Cooper produces will get him signed the following year...

If anybody wants to see just how important a GM can be to a team- look no further than Reggie McKenzie.. the dude is just money-
Darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jackson's only "solid", then there aren't any great guards in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshallplan wrote:
opeth0500 wrote:

Never doubt the Master- He'll get Mack done next year and depending on how Cooper produces will get him signed the following year...

If anybody wants to see just how important a GM can be to a team- look no further than Reggie McKenzie.. the dude is just money-

Reggie Mac truly is the master. Watch him do his magic and get all of Carr, Jackson, Cooper and Mack locked up.

If he can't do it, nobody can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:

Some have compared his play to Osemele- he's bounced around from 7th best guard in run blocking one year, 12th in pass blocking the next year etc.. If you go and watch any Raider games the last 3 years you'll see runs off his right side where he just blew dudes off the line- I personally think he's elite- top 10- but I'll go with PFF's ranking metrics... either way.. he's solid to borderline elite- Great move by Reggie.. Raiders OL is without a doubt the best in the NFL.. and it will continue that way for another 3 years-

To be honest- I cant wait to see BeastMode just tear arse this year behind that line... I think he's gonna lead the league in rushing... it's the best OL he's ever played behind and he's in great shape and ready to bust out

You can pretty much lock BeastMode down as come back player of the year.. He's simply gonna run through defenses like sh*t through a goose-

Last edited by marshallplan on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:

Man, has any team gotten more hype than the Raiders this offseason? I'm really interested to see how they do this year. I'm not petty enough to root against them because of some of their fans, but I won't be devastated if they fail to make the playoffs either. Laughing

mike23md on the sig
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Man, has any team gotten more hype than the Raiders this offseason? I'm really interested to see how they do this year. I'm not petty enough to root against them because of some of their fans, but I won't be devastated if they fail to make the playoffs either. Laughing

Please excuse us if we're excited for our team after what we went through the last 16 years Rolling Eyes
///mcompact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Repent now, HTTR.

I pointed this out last month and was lambasted by their fans. They wrote me off as someone who was overreacting to just a single, fringe Raider fan's posts.
RaiderFanSD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Darkness wrote:

He's actually a very good guard.. what's to hype?

I feel like our fans have been somewhat tame. A lot don't like the "hype"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: