You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where Does Fletcher Cox Rank?/ Is He Meeting His Potential?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Where Does Fletcher Cox Rank?/ Is He Meeting His Potential? Reply with quote

So they have a thread ranking top DL(4-3 DT's -3-4 Ends)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588930

So i am just curious where you guys think he ranks among the top 10 DL?

Is he meeting his potential?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like some weeks hes the best tackle in the business and other weeks i feel like hes barely top 10.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately like most DL he needs less usage to have an impact.

Maybe Timmy can rotate between the tackle spots with someone else to give Cox a breather. (didn't want to overuse the joke)

Some teams know our weakness is the defensive backfield and come 4th quarter he could be gassed. see NYG week 17

Early in games he seems unblock-able late in games or late in the season he seems wore down.

I say top 10 but his play (among other) fluctuates so much there's no way to really rank him
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most of the lists in that thread He's basically top 5. He demands a DBL team for the majority of the game. What "Should" be interesting to see in 2017 that we didn't have in 2016 really, Is other players having to be accounted for. Meaning you can't DBL Cox if Jernnigan, Barrett, Long and god for freaking bid Vinny Curry step up their game. Force 1 on 1 matchups for Cox because they are feasting.

Fletcher in this system can easily be considered #3 no questions asked if that occurs. The numbers will dictate that as well. Even Donald and Watt need their surrounding players to be effective. Hard to consistently beat DBL and triple Teams play in and play out when they don't care about the rest of the DL making an impact. It wears you down.

17' Bird Watch: QB Carson Wentz: 318Att//61% Comp//2430 Yds//25 TD//5 INT//224 Rush yds//QBR 103.4

Last edited by Nabbs4u on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it depends on the system, if he didn't waste his time eating double teams in Chip's 3-4 he'd have a ton more production to his name, but even then, I think most people consider him top 5, at minimum top 10 even if you're not a Birds fan.

Fun fact, dude is still 26. The best is yet to come IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i know he is getting double even tripled at times.

I grew up watching guys like Glover, Sapp, Kennedy, McMichael still dominate and put up sacks despite double and triple teams. And never had games where they werent clearly the best player out there.

Where as Cox has those games where im like "is he even on the field?"

Considering where he was drafted and all the hype, he has never wowed me.

Specially when you consider a guy like Damon Harrison for the Giants was a UDFA and he averages like 7-9 tackles and multiple pressures a game.

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:

I grew up watching guys like Glover, Sapp, Kennedy, McMichael still dominate and put up sacks despite double and triple teams. And never had games where they werent clearly the best player out there.

Specially when you consider a guy like Damon Harrison for the Giants was a UDFA and he averages like 7-9 tackles and multiple pressures a game.

Sacks are overrated. However Every name you listed had other players Defense's had to account for on the front 4-7. Harrison himself has JPP, Oliver, Hankins. Is he really getting DBL teamed as much with those players?

This Defense and Cox specifically needs others to be held accountable. If Graham , Barnett, Long and Jernnigan get penatration , become disruptive , Cox will see more and more 1-1. Not liking most OG chances when that happens on a consistent basis.

17' Bird Watch: QB Carson Wentz: 318Att//61% Comp//2430 Yds//25 TD//5 INT//224 Rush yds//QBR 103.4
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we all are just going to stand around measuring our Cox?

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
So we all are just going to stand around measuring our Cox?

Well some want to justify the lack in numbers.

I was concerned about overuse, now I'm more concerned about the strategy he's employed in.
BLick12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

Sacks are overrated. However Every name you listed had other players Defense's had to account for on the front 4-7. Harrison himself has JPP, Oliver, Hankins. Is he really getting DBL teamed as much with those players?

This Defense and Cox specifically needs others to be held accountable. If Graham , Barnett, Long and Jernnigan get penatration , become disruptive , Cox will see more and more 1-1. Not liking most OG chances when that happens on a consistent basis.

This. Damon Harrison is a very good d-lineman, but he's also in a far more beneficial situation and his production outside of tackles is still less than Fletch's.

Fletch had his worst year last year, but that also coincided with Bennie Logan rarely playing healthy. I said it before that Bennie was criminally underrated on this board, and it'll be interesting to see how someone like Jernigan fills his void. If Jernigan can play take some of the heat off Cox and win his 1 on 1s than I believe we'll see same Cox as we did a couple years ago.

With respect to his ranking, I think he's easily a top 5 interior D-lineman. The disappointing thing is that he hasn't developed much technique wise. He's far too reliant on his strength and bull rush, which while it is elite, is too predictable and energy inefficient. You watch film of a guy like Reggie White and you see that same devastating power, but he also had an array of moves off of it, which made him practically unstoppable. Having said all that, as Phire mentioned, Cox is still young, he has room to develop and grow which is extremely exciting given how productive he has been without great technique.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most men, we tended to exaggerate the size and impact of our Cox. Although he's not the size we told everyone, he's close so perhaps he shoukd be taking the heating he gets on here. Stop beating Cox. He's a nice solid Cox.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys rank your Cox? Man the offseason must be really getting to you.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: