Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Fire GM John Dorsey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

Same. I just don't know what he really did wrong. I'd put him in the top 5 GM's and this is obviously before the firing.

KC picked in the 20s and he still found ways to add star talent to the team. I'd say he's picked better than almost anyone the last few years, including Ted Thompson and John Schneider.

Its the cap. We are having to cut players like maclin. next year we will have to cut Alex Smith still to be under the cap. That is horrible cap management. and the chiefs realize that the he alone didn't find that talent. the chiefs organization and scouting department did. It is not a 1 man show.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

Same. I just don't know what he really did wrong. I'd put him in the top 5 GM's and this is obviously before the firing.

KC picked in the 20s and he still found ways to add star talent to the team. I'd say he's picked better than almost anyone the last few years, including Ted Thompson and John Schneider.

Its the cap. We are having to cut players like maclin. next year we will have to cut Alex Smith still to be under the cap. That is horrible cap management. and the chiefs realize that the he alone didn't find that talent. the chiefs organization and scouting department did. It is not a 1 man show.

Uh you won't have to cut Alex Smith to get under the cap next year, You could cut Allen Bailey, Jah Reid, Ron Parker, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson and save about 20+ million in cap space. The Chiefs are tight against the cap (Even though they have 11 million right now) but it's far from an awful situation and while it could be part of the reason he got fired I'd bet it's something behind the scenes or he just lost the power struggle and wanted to be more than Reid's yes man.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defend this move all you want certain Chief fans, this is a very poor decision on KC's part.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

Uh you won't have to cut Alex Smith to get under the cap next year, You could cut Allen Bailey, Jah Reid, Ron Parker, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson and save about 20+ million in cap space. The Chiefs are tight against the cap (Even though they have 11 million right now) but it's far from an awful situation and while it could be part of the reason he got fired I'd bet it's something behind the scenes or he just lost the power struggle and wanted to be more than Reid's yes man.

JUST cut 4 starters and your best swing o linemen? no big deal? I think they will opt to cut Alex smith...as long Mahomes is someone competent with the playbook. That seems like the most likely outcome. and don't forget.... They had to get Maclin....and are STILL in a horrible cap situation. Maclin is a good player and a smart franchise like the ravens took advantage, and yet we are still in cap issues after having to release maclin. That is a direct indictment on John Dorsey.
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Defend this move all you want certain Chief fans, this is a very poor decision on KC's part.

We will find out soon....
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

The cap hell we're in is a direct result of how much talent he's added to this team, though. Aside from Hali, and maybe Smith depending on your opinion, we don't have any bad contracts on the books. We mostly have good players getting paid for that good play. You can't keep everyone when you draft as we have lately. The better drafting teams always bleed free agents.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

JUST cut 4 starters and your best swing o linemen? no big deal? I think they will opt to cut Alex smith...as long Mahomes is someone competent with the playbook. That seems like the most likely outcome. and don't forget.... They had to get Maclin....and are STILL in a horrible cap situation. Maclin is a good player and a smart franchise like the ravens took advantage, and yet we are still in cap issues after having to release maclin. That is a direct indictment on John Dorsey.

Johnson will be 35 by next season and he'll need to be replaced anyway so cutting him is inevitable, Jah Reid is garbage and overpaid, Ron Parker and Hali don't need to be cut but Hali is an expensive 3rd pass rusher and they can put that money towards Dee Ford instead.

The Chiefs are not in a horrible cap situation at all, They can cut a multitude of players they can find replacements for in the draft and have plenty of cap space for next season. If they really wanted cap space this year they could've cut their punter who would've freed up 4 million for this year... 1 million less than what they got from cutting Maclin.

A team with a pretty horrible cap situation are the eagles.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
scoobz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

Is the cap a 1 man show?

You can't have it both ways.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

i think it's a few things. But mainly it's Reid. The way the contract extension came with the firing has to be more than coincidence right?
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah. Dorsey is one of the best GMs in football. Looks like chiefs are low key rebuilding and maybe he wanted out? crazy.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would Dorsey go back to Green Bay? he hasn't worked there in 5 years.

have the Packer fans on FootballsFuture finally fired Ted Thompson? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise move, the Chiefs have a good team there. Interesting they'd get rid of their GM.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
samsel23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I'm baffled. Completely.

The cap hell we're in is a direct result of how much talent he's added to this team, though. Aside from Hali, and maybe Smith depending on your opinion, we don't have any bad contracts on the books. We mostly have good players getting paid for that good play. You can't keep everyone when you draft as we have lately. The better drafting teams always bleed free agents.

So much this...

People want to commen on how bad our cap is, but how many guys do we have underperforming? How many guys have we let hit FA that have continue to play at a high level?

R. Hudson is really the only guy we have lost in FA that has played at a high level after he left us.

T. Hali is really the only guy underperforming that we can't get out of his contract.

D. Harris, Zombo, Reid, and a few others you could say are overpaided Cap Wise but their guaranteed money is not bad at all and are very easily replaced if a cheap guy outperforms them.

Sure it's not a one man scouting department, but Dorsey is one of the best talent evaluators in the business. It won't be easy to replace at all

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead money has been a huge issue since Dorsey got here as well. All the way back to the deal he gave Dwayne bowe. But it didn't end there. I would bet the chiefs under Dorsey have been one of the teams that commit the biggest percentage of salary cap to players not even on the roster. And then of course you have to pay the big time players like Berry and Houston, so there is no room for having so much dead money each year. The Jaye Howard contract was another bad one. Other talented teams are not in the cap situation we are in.

New England is NEVER in situations like this. Denver has been and is a talented team and they always have seemingly unlimited cap space. Those teams don't make a habbit of creating so much dead money.

So yes Dorsey has a great eye for talent, but guys like Brett veach have been learning from him for years now and have seen the process that has made Dorsey's drafts so successful. After seeing that process for 5 years now, I bet someone from within is ready to step up and continue the good drafting process we have had, but without the poor cap management.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsey probably needed a cap manager to help him. Hard to argue otherwise. But also really hard to argue with his track record in drafting or evaluating talent.

The bigger issue is who they replace him with. If it's a yes guy to Andy Reid hard to think it's a smart move. Reid is a really good coach but so few succeed as coach & GM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: