You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derek Carr Officially Highest Paid Player
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
carr's extension added more money than luck's extension did

That's true.
daineraider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Even the report that he became the highest paid player in the league is somewhat wrong. He basically got a 6 year/127M contract while Luck got a 6 year/139M contract. There was more money added in the 5 extra years for Carr but since both contracts are spread over 6 years, Luck is making more per year over the total length of the payment.
luck's 5th year option paid him a ton, whereas Carr doest get a 5th year option as a 2nd round pick, so that's kinda misleading.

Carr's extension was bigger

Like i said there was more money added to the previous contract in Carr's case but there's no 5 years period where Carr is making 125M so that's misleading as well. He'll get the full 125M over a 6 years period. In Luck's case, the money added was less but over 6 years he's earning more. I'm sure Carr's agent is glad to be able to brag about the biggest contract ever but in reality Carr isn't the highest paid player per year.

Maybe next year he is, at least before Stafford or any other QB re signs. Carrs #s dont look too bad after next year.

2017 $15.731mil cap hit
2018 $25mil cap hit
2019 $22.6mil cap hit
2020 $22.6mil cap hit
2021 $22.6mil cap hit
2022 $18.1mil cap hit

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/derek-carr-14445/

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully he can win a Super Bowl for Oakland before the move to Las Vegas.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
PSN: KDubBallin
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
Hopefully he can win a Super Bowl for Oakland before the move to Las Vegas.

Hopefully he can win multiple for RAIDER NATION!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carr's deal is a good one for the team because the money in the 5 year extension is actually spread over 6 years, since he basically wasn't getting paid anything for 2017.

2018 will be the big hit and then his pay is pretty moderate going forward
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of clarity on the details of the deal.

I like this last paragraph tho...

Quote:
The structure confirms that the Raiders’ reported reluctance to sign linebacker Khalil Mack this year due to cap issues is a canard(an unfounded rumor or story). By loading up $12.5 million in roster bonus and salary and limiting the signing bonus of $12.5 million, Carr ended up with a much larger cap number this year than he otherwise could have had. With a salary of $1 million and a signing bonus of $24 million (which would have still created $25 million in cash flow), the cap number for 2017 would have been only $5.8 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/02/the-full-derek-carr-details/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:

Quote:
The structure confirms that the Raiders’ reported reluctance to sign linebacker Khalil Mack this year due to cap issues is a canard(an unfounded rumor or story). By loading up $12.5 million in roster bonus and salary and limiting the signing bonus of $12.5 million, Carr ended up with a much larger cap number this year than he otherwise could have had. With a salary of $1 million and a signing bonus of $24 million (which would have still created $25 million in cash flow), the cap number for 2017 would have been only $5.8 million.

PFT clearly doesn't understand RM's thinking. He doesn't want to give huge signing bonus because he wants to be able to release players easily. The cap issue is they can't sign 3 players to huge deals in the same season with the way they want to structure contracts. PFT doesn't know enough to figure that out though.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:

Quote:

PFT clearly doesn't understand RM's thinking. He doesn't want to give huge signing bonus because he wants to be able to release players easily. The cap issue is they can't sign 3 players to huge deals in the same season with the way they want to structure contracts. PFT doesn't know enough to figure that out though.

They are just pointing out that fraudulent rumors that said we didn't want to or couldn't sign Mack as well this yr. That the only thing they were talking about with structure. Whether they knew or cared about how Reggie smartly signs guys is unknown.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:

They are just pointing out that fraudulent rumors that said we didn't want to or couldn't sign Mack as well this yr. That the only thing they were talking about with structure. Whether they knew or cared about how Reggie smartly signs guys is unknown.

They're saying we could have signed Mack if we structured Carr's contract differently so understanding why we structured Carr that way is a pretty big deal here. We didn't want to sign Mack this season because RM wants to be able to get rid of any contract easily and you can't do that if you give a huge prorated signing bonus to someone (which is the example they're giving).
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:

They're saying we could have signed Mack if we structured Carr's contract differently so understanding why we structured Carr that way is a pretty big deal here. We didn't want to sign Mack this season because RM wants to be able to get rid of any contract easily and you can't do that if you give a huge prorated signing bonus to someone (which is the example they're giving).

They weren't discussing that issue. Only the rumors. That is what the whole paragraph was about. The effects of doing it differently is another issue that they could have gotten into but they weren't addressing that. I understand your point, but saying that they don't get it is off base. Someone doesn't have to layout every angle or possibility to prove they understand when making a statement about one aspect of a matter.

Last edited by NightTrainLane on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured I'd put it here:

Danand wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Danand wrote:

Flacco is qua his supporting cast performing well enough to justify his contract. Compared to other quarterbacks who are payed in the same bracket, he has just as much to show for it when it comes to results.

Yes, other quarterbacks migh have better stats, which then could be attributed to better receivers, olines, coaching staffs, offensive system etc. Thats not a knock on Flacco then, he is placed where he is because of strategic roster building.

Happy?

The quarterbacks in the same bracket are Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, and Ben Rothelisberger.

So Rodgers, Luck, Brees, Ben, Wilson, etc. have only played better than flacco because of supporting cast and offensive schemes? Wow, I think I've heard it all now.

Carr is 22-25, no play off games, I'd take Flacco over him. Flacco has shown much more, proven much more, even in his last 4 seasons.

Luck really took the NFL by storm, has lately proven to produce a lot of yards and scores when playing from behind. 3-2 in the post season, which is more than Carr has shown. Has a bad tendency to get owned along with the rest of his team vs. the Patriots which hold the key to the Super Bowl. Advantage Flacco.

Brees is one of the best, but yet has been further away from achieving the same results as Flacco the last 4 years. Advantage Flacco.

Wilson, can't say much else than he is maybe the best young QB in the league. Got into a perfect situation with a top 3 defense and a ground game to help him. Had a few games where he nearly buried his team, but still rallied them to get back. Should I pick a QB to lead my team, Wilson would most likely be my choice.

Ben Roethlisberger and Flacco are so even, and the weapons around Big Ben is almost unfair. Ravens fans can't deny though, that the ability to extend plays and get that last flukey play just by effort can't be done much better than what Big Ben does. Advantage Roethlisberger (his ability to take punishment from especially the ravens and still carry on is also impressive)

Cousins 1 play off appearence and a lot of nice stats for the stat horny posters. Still can't prove more than Flacco. I pick Flacco. The trust or lack of it shown by the Redskins FO should tell you something.

Karsten Palmer played really will in that gung ho offense. Still haven't done more than Flacco despite 2 play off appearences which led to 1 victory. I'd pick Flacco.

To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, Wilson and ahead of Carr, Tannehill, Cousins, Palmer, Dalton, Luck, etc.

Mariotta and Winston can come talk when they have reached the playoffs.

Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured I'd put it here:

Danand wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Danand wrote:

Flacco is qua his supporting cast performing well enough to justify his contract. Compared to other quarterbacks who are payed in the same bracket, he has just as much to show for it when it comes to results.

Yes, other quarterbacks migh have better stats, which then could be attributed to better receivers, olines, coaching staffs, offensive system etc. Thats not a knock on Flacco then, he is placed where he is because of strategic roster building.

Happy?

The quarterbacks in the same bracket are Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, and Ben Rothelisberger.

So Rodgers, Luck, Brees, Ben, Wilson, etc. have only played better than flacco because of supporting cast and offensive schemes? Wow, I think I've heard it all now.

Carr is 22-25, no play off games, I'd take Flacco over him. Flacco has shown much more, proven much more, even in his last 4 seasons.

Luck really took the NFL by storm, has lately proven to produce a lot of yards and scores when playing from behind. 3-2 in the post season, which is more than Carr has shown. Has a bad tendency to get owned along with the rest of his team vs. the Patriots which hold the key to the Super Bowl. Advantage Flacco.

Brees is one of the best, but yet has been further away from achieving the same results as Flacco the last 4 years. Advantage Flacco.

Wilson, can't say much else than he is maybe the best young QB in the league. Got into a perfect situation with a top 3 defense and a ground game to help him. Had a few games where he nearly buried his team, but still rallied them to get back. Should I pick a QB to lead my team, Wilson would most likely be my choice.

Ben Roethlisberger and Flacco are so even, and the weapons around Big Ben is almost unfair. Ravens fans can't deny though, that the ability to extend plays and get that last flukey play just by effort can't be done much better than what Big Ben does. Advantage Roethlisberger (his ability to take punishment from especially the ravens and still carry on is also impressive)

Cousins 1 play off appearence and a lot of nice stats for the stat horny posters. Still can't prove more than Flacco. I pick Flacco. The trust or lack of it shown by the Redskins FO should tell you something.

Karsten Palmer played really will in that gung ho offense. Still haven't done more than Flacco despite 2 play off appearences which led to 1 victory. I'd pick Flacco.

To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, Wilson and ahead of Carr, Tannehill, Cousins, Palmer, Dalton, Luck, etc.

Mariotta and Winston can come talk when they have reached the playoffs.

I don't think Danand has covered himself in glory with this post Laughing

I like Flacco, but honestly I'm not sure how you could elevate his rating above any of the above except Tannehill.

Realistically, moving forward Carr has to be the hottest property in town - I also like Mariota but he's a little ways behind due to inexperience and though I think Winston could potentially be a great QB, I think Carr has better intangibles and a better head on his shoulders. Luck is in a poor situation and is probably trying to do too much, but he's still in the same conversation as Carr. Rivers and Wilson are clearly just behind Carr at this stage. Tannehill is just an average QB who flashes now and then.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many people in the "analytics" community throwing garbage shade at Carr, calling him an "average" quarterback. So many of these people picking us to regress to 8-8/7-9. What a joke. I can't wait for the season to start.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
So many people in the "analytics" community throwing garbage shade at Carr, calling him an "average" quarterback. So many of these people picking us to regress to 8-8/7-9. What a joke. I can't wait for the season to start.

I'm very surprised at that! Carr was sublime in 2016, what really convinced me Carr is the real deal was the 'Snake like' poise and relentless way he carried the team on his back over the course of several comeback wins in the 4th. That is really impressive for a 3rd year player. The players believe in him and it was evident when he missed the last couple games what a difference that confidence can make.
G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
IT'S REAL
I blame the Ravens for that overpay. Timing was perfect for Joe. Reading some of the above makes me think Carr is underrated.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: