You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derek Carr Officially Highest Paid Player
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1994 Favre got 3 MVP's after signing his extension, lets see our #4 top that with MVP's and Super Bowls each season. Smile
Congrats to the Carr family. A #1 pick in David and the #1 highest paid NFL player in Derek...Hopefully they'll get the names right now. Laughing
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:

He says $25 year one and then talks about what he is going to make in 2018. Make it sound like $25 in 2017 which leaves us with $4.5 after signing the top three picks.

It's 25M in cash, the cap hit is different.
Darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Carr could have gotten 30m as a FA on the open market. Teams like the Browns, Bears, Jets, etc who haven't had a franchise QB in decades would have no problem overpaying for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
I think Carr could have gotten 30m as a FA on the open market. Teams like the Browns, Bears, Jets, etc who haven't had a franchise QB in decades would have no problem overpaying for him.

On the open market? I honestly wouldn't be shocked at like 35 million. It's rare for a franchise QB to hit the market at all, it's even more rare for that QB to be in his mid 20's and not even in his prime for a QB. Honestly can't even think of a situation that compares. Yeah that's a big chunk of money, but the impact a QB makes is worth arguably even more than that. Add in a competition among so many teams without a long term, proven answer at QB like the Browns, Jets, Vikings, 49ers, Cardinals, Saints (Brees last year of his deal), Broncos (depending on what they see in Lynch), Jags. And that doesn't even include teams that recently drafted a high pick like the Texans, Bears, Chiefs that might decide to sign Carr the proven MVP caliber player and trade their draft pick that hasn't proven anything. That's over a fourth of the league that would have a lot of interst in acquiring a 26 year old Carr that's had the start to the career he's had. 35 million might even be low balling it. It's just a thing that never happens at the most important position in the NFL. The interest/competition for him would make the contract just ridiculous.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
holyghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Raider wrote:
Darkness wrote:

On the open market? I honestly wouldn't be shocked at like 35 million. It's rare for a franchise QB to hit the market at all, it's even more rare for that QB to be in his mid 20's and not even in his prime for a QB. Honestly can't even think of a situation that compares. Yeah that's a big chunk of money, but the impact a QB makes is worth arguably even more than that. Add in a competition among so many teams without a long term, proven answer at QB like the Browns, Jets, Vikings, 49ers, Cardinals, Saints (Brees last year of his deal), Broncos (depending on what they see in Lynch), Jags. And that doesn't even include teams that recently drafted a high pick like the Texans, Bears, Chiefs that might decide to sign Carr the proven MVP caliber player and trade their draft pick that hasn't proven anything. That's over a fourth of the league that would have a lot of interst in acquiring a 26 year old Carr that's had the start to the career he's had. 35 million might even be low balling it. It's just a thing that never happens at the most important position in the NFL. The interest/competition for him would make the contract just ridiculous.

Crazy as it sounds I tend to agree. There would be a bidding war no doubt. That would lead to an absurd number. Never happen though because even if he went elsewhere, it would be in trade.
Chali21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
Mr Raider wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Crazy as it sounds I tend to agree. There would be a bidding war no doubt. That would lead to an absurd number. Never happen though because even if he went elsewhere, it would be in trade.

Honestly I can see Jimmy G getting into a bidding war because of his success. Outside of Carr he's has looked the best out of the '14 QBs. Personally I think this Carr contract will,look like a huge deal in a few years when scrubs like cousins get signed. It'll be like the Crabtree contract.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Raider wrote:
Darkness wrote:

honestly think you're bang on. It's so hard to say what he would have got on the open market b/c the nature of free agency is that superstars in their prime don't hit free agency, let alone a 26 year old franchise qb.

What I can say is its a world of supply and demand and we've seen what a high supply but low demand looks like with RB's this year. I could not even begin to fathom what Carr on the open market would look like because the supply is virtually non-existent and the demand is tremendous. I could have honestly seen his contract hitting closer to the 200m mark given all the teams that need a franchise QB and have the money to spend. His contract was for 125m with no competitive offers whatsoever - its fair to say at the very least that what he got here would have probably been the ante to even get his agent to take the call on the free agent market, let alone the bidding war that would have ensued.

I know 125m may not seem like a team friendly deal but I promise it was and he clearly wants to be a Raider for life - it doesn't take a market analyst to know that if he wanted a lot more money he could have gotten it and I'm sure if he wasn't aware of that fact his agent definitely let him know.

Now on to Khalil
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep seeing articles about carr's contract being backloaded to help the team, but the contract details on spotrac show that it's front-loaded when it comes to cap hit and cash flow
raidr4life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
keep seeing articles about carr's contract being backloaded to help the team, but the contract details on spotrac show that it's front-loaded when it comes to cap hit and cash flow
I don't think a backloaded contract would help the team anyways.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Yeah I'm not trying to argue which is better or worse, just discussing the reports that had been popping up.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Yeah I'm not trying to argue which is better or worse, just discussing the reports that had been popping up.

I think the reports were just taking a further step then needed when add fluff to the story of Carr saying he requested his agent do a deal that would help the team sign other players. That doesn't necessarily mean back or frontloaded. Just how some choose to write it up even tho Carr never said those words.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the report that he became the highest paid player in the league is somewhat wrong. He basically got a 6 year/127M contract while Luck got a 6 year/139M contract. There was more money added in the 5 extra years for Carr but since both contracts are spread over 6 years, Luck is making more per year over the total length of the payment.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Even the report that he became the highest paid player in the league is somewhat wrong. He basically got a 6 year/127M contract while Luck got a 6 year/139M contract. There was more money added in the 5 extra years for Carr but since both contracts are spread over 6 years, Luck is making more per year over the total length of the payment.
luck's 5th year option paid him a ton, whereas Carr doest get a 5th year option as a 2nd round pick, so that's kinda misleading.

Carr's extension was bigger
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
luck's 5th year option paid him a ton, whereas Carr doest get a 5th year option as a 2nd round pick, so that's kinda misleading.

Like i said there was more money added to the previous contract in Carr's case but there's no 5 years period where Carr is making 125M so that's misleading as well. He'll get the full 125M over a 6 years period. In Luck's case, the money added was less but over 6 years he's earning more. I'm sure Carr's agent is glad to be able to brag about the biggest contract ever but in reality Carr isn't the highest paid player per year.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Like i said there was more money added to the previous contract in Carr's case but there's no 5 years period where Carr is making 125M so that's misleading as well. He'll get the full 125M over a 6 years period. In Luck's case, the money added was less but over 6 years he's earning more. I'm sure Carr's agent is glad to be able to brag about the biggest contract ever but in reality Carr isn't the highest paid player per year.
carr's extension added more money than luck's extension did

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: