You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derek Carr Officially Highest Paid Player
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Derek Carr Officially Highest Paid Player Reply with quote

Via bleacher report and DC's own twitter. Haven't seen anything on the guarantees or the structure. But its a 5 year, 125 million dollar extension that locks DC up for the next 6 seasons.

DC was one of the top candidates for the MVP last season before breaking his leg, he still finished in the top 4 for MVP last season. He finished as PFF 6th best QB last season, and through 3 seasons only Marino, Manning, and Luck have thrown more TD passes in NFL history. He's 25 years old and this contract will lock him up through his aget 31 season. Not only is he a terrific QB that many would say is the biggest key to our return to winning football ways, but he's also the leader of the team and the face of our franchise. It's a lot of money, but that is the going rate for a young, franchise QB. And he seems to be one of the best guys off the field as well. Congrats DC, you've earned it. Now bring a super bowl to the Bay and than a couple more in Vegas.

Next up the team will look to lock up our other franchise player in Khalil Mack, and Gabe Jackson could be extended as well.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC

Last edited by Mr Raider on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Derek Carr Officially Highest Paid Player Reply with quote

Derek Carr wrote:
Now it's done Laughing. From the jump I've wanted to be a Raider 4 life. One step closer to that! Blessed!!! Business done! Let's just play now!!!

BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Carr. The man absolutely deserves it.

It is being worded as an "extension". Meaning he will be locked up the next six years and will be making his rookie 1.7M this year.

I would also expect the contract to be somewhat backloaded instead of the usual frontloaded which Reggie loves doing. Because Carr is gonna want a lot of that payday in Vegas and tax free.

Probably 21-21-27-28-28
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
Congrats to Carr. The man absolutely deserves it.

It is being worded as an "extension". Meaning he will be locked up the next six years and will be making his rookie 1.7M this year.

I would also expect the contract to be somewhat backloaded instead of the usual frontloaded which Reggie loves doing. Because Carr is gonna want a lot of that payday in Vegas and tax free.

Probably 21-21-27-28-28

Yeah I'll edit the original post to reflect the extension. I'm sure Carr wants as much as he can get in Nevada, but he also got a ton of coin and got the amount I'm sure he asked for. Interested to see if part of our negotiation was just how back loaded it is. Either way, having him locked up for the next 6 years is huge for our franchise.

dmac505

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely deserved.
This season may be our best shot at the SB..
Will have a lot less depth when Carr and Mack are making 20+m a season each.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac505 wrote:
definitely deserved.
This season may be our best shot at the SB..
Will have a lot less depth when Carr and Mack are making 20+m a season each.

Agreed.. this year and next year will be our best chance. Then Macks contract takes effect.

When we have to pay Cooper cash will get tight. I think our Super Bowl window will be about 4 years (which is a pretty standard window). I think the next four years we are going to be a very dominant team. After that we will be a low end playoff team with some 8-8 seasons. Just like all teams that pay their QB 20+.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the signing and the #s. Deserved! If he stays on course and progresses as normal we have a top 5 QB for the next 6yrs so the money is warranted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleacher report is reporting it's 70 million guaranteed. Which is 2nd most all time I believe.

raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guarantees don't bother me for players like this. Only matters if he was ever going to be cut.
daineraider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with this year it works out to 6yr $126mil. And $40 to be paid at signing. I wonder how they will structure it as far as cap hits each year.

Mack should get his extension after this season(not sure if we can extend him before that).

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
So with this year it works out to 6yr $126mil. And $40 to be paid at signing. I wonder how they will structure it as far as cap hits each year.

Mack should get his extension after this season(not sure if we can extend him before that).

We could. But likely won't. I believe it's after 3 years of service you can re-do a rookies deal. Even though he's a first round pick, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about OBJ getting a new contract at all because he was in the same class and a first round pick. Either way Mack isn't going anywhere, though I do think his deal has a better chance of dragging on than DC's did. Just because guaranteed money is everything to non QBS where QBS worry.more about per year because they are far more likely to see the final year or couple years. Either way Mack and DC won't be the issue, it'll be making the tough decisions like Jackson, possibly Coop, and MEJ if je puts some healthy seasons together. Still having to pay two MVP/DPOY caliber players is a good problem to have, especially when both are so young still.

daineraider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Raider wrote:
daineraider wrote:

We could. But likely won't. I believe it's after 3 years of service you can re-do a rookies deal. Even though he's a first round pick, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about OBJ getting a new contract at all because he was in the same class and a first round pick. Either way Mack isn't going anywhere, though I do think his deal has a better chance of dragging on than DC's did. Just because guaranteed money is everything to non QBS where QBS worry.more about per year because they are far more likely to see the final year or couple years. Either way Mack and DC won't be the issue, it'll be making the tough decisions like Jackson, possibly Coop, and MEJ if je puts some healthy seasons together. Still having to pay two MVP/DPOY caliber players is a good problem to have, especially when both are so young still.

That's why I prefer to do it early. We have two years left with Mack and I would like to roll the lower #s from the next two years in with the big $$ contract. If we extend him 4 years at $20 mil each it would be an overall contract of 6 yr $95 mil. So for the next two years we will have more cap, but after that we will have a huge cap #.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
drfrey13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if the are guessing but Spotrac has the first as:

Base / SB / Roster / Workout / Dead / Cap Hit
$5,000,000/ $3,056,691 /$7,500,000/ $175,000 /($40,556,691)/ $15,731,691

If we extend Mack this year @ $20 per for 4 yrs he would average $16.6 over six years. This would leave little to extend Gabe. We could give Mack and extra $8 this year and extend Gabe at a 5 yr $40. He could make $6 this year and $7.2 over the next 5 years. That would leave us with a little under $6 which is close to what we average under RM. Plus you are not going to like the check Mack cashes if we wait. Over the next couple years he is going to start putting it all together and put up some monster numbers especially if the player s around him begin to develop.
If we lock up Gabe and Mack the only area of importance we lose in LT. Although we have little cap room with the extensions there are a lot of players that can be cut without taking a cap hit.

Funny thing happened as I was writing this. I went back to look at it again and they have taken it down now. Did they release some inside info or did someone just guess.

Just saw on ESPN he will make $25 in year one. $5 base, $12.5 SB, and $7.5 RB.

Last edited by drfrey13 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blazer026

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot, but you gotta lock up the franchise QB. I'm happy.
drfrey13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like no more new money this year. We only have $4.5 million left after signing our top three picks.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: