Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Top Position Cores in College Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more units added to the original list after taking another look.

*Penn State
LB: J. Cabinda, M. Bowen, C. Brown, K. Farmer, B. Smith
A very solid group of linebackers, Cabinda is a big time leader at that inside backer spot and a tough guy. Love the athletic ability of Bowen on the outside, he improved a lot last year I thought. Cam Brown is a potential super star as well, love his length and athletic ability, and Farmer can fly around and make some plays getting pressure and using his speed.

*Texas
LB: M. Jefferson, B. Hager, N. Hughes, A. Wheeler, E. Freeman, J. McCulloch
A ton of talent, Jefferson is arguably the best linebacker in the nation.
Hager I like a lot as well, especially as a pass rusher with the effort he gives. Hughes is more of a DE but does have a linebacker body. If Wheeler, Freeman or McCulloch take it to the next level they could have a fine group here.

*Kansas State
RB: J. Ertz, J. Silmon, W. Dimel, A. Barnes. C. Jones
If one puts Ertz as a RB even though he plays QB they are one of the best groups in the nation. Silmon I like as a slashing RB, he is solid and Barnes has some ability as well. Love Dimel as a FB/HB type and he is a weapon with the ball in his hands as well. Hard running game to stop that is for sure and Ertz could be a position change to WR at the next level, will see.

*Oklahoma
DL: N. Gallimore, M. Romar, O. Okoronkwo, DJ Ward.
Like the strength they have inside, I think Gallimore could have a big year for them, thick strong kid. Romar is a good stout tackle as well and Okornokwo can be a terror on the edge. More of a linebacker type but plays down DE quite a lot, he could have a great year.

*BYU
LB: F. Warner, B. Pau'u, F. Bernard
All were crazy productive players and all are the top three tackles off last years team. Oh and all had 80 plus tackles, I like Warner the most, love his athletic ability. Bernard is an interesting player as well and strong at the point of attack.

*South Carolina
DB: J. King, C. Lammons, DJ. Smith, S. Montac
King is a fine corner, one of the better ones in the country. Lammons needs to pick up his game though, if so they could be very sound. Smith had moments last year at safety. If they have a few more young prospects standout this year they could be a good group together.

*LSU
LB: D. White, D. Alexander, M. Divinity
Really like White at linebacker, he has a ton of ability and was really good last year as well filling in. Divinity could breakout this year, super athletic and can run, Alexander is an interesting talent as well.

*Arkansas
DB: R. Pulley, J. Liddell, S. Ramirez, H. Toliver
Are all very experienced and this year is time for them to use that experience and improve as a unit. Ramirez is a big hitter back there and Pulley has some potential I think as a cover man. They can tackle but that is not always good because they get beat, will see if they can improve this year.

*Notre Dame
LB: N. Morgan, T. Coney, D. Tranquill, G. Martini
Close to including them, just not sure how elite of players they are. Tranquill at linebacker could really improve the unit, kid could had a great year with his toughness and athletic ability, was already a fine safety. Could be a even better linebacker, and Morgan has been good for awhile, Coney shown some flashes as well.

*Western Michigan
RB: J. Franklin, J. Bogan, D. Tucker
Really good group, see if they can keep it up this year with the changes.
Franklin is a very athletic back who can break the big run or get hard yards. Really like the change of pace Bogan brought, he is a tough runner as well and Tucker shows some explosive ability at times.

*UCONN
LB: J. Joseph, V. Diggs, EJ Levenberry
Very proven linebacker core, really like the athletic ability of Diggs, he is an active playmaker. Joseph is a stout middle man who plays strong and physical football. Levenberry is a fine looking athlete, former FSU transfer should finally put it all together this year

*Tennessee
DB: R. Gaulden, J. Martin, T. Kelly, E. Berry, E. Moseley, M. Abernathy
Is a little bit of a long shot but I like the length Gaulden has at corner, he can be a good playmaker. Martin is a decent prospect as well. Still need to see more from Berry and Kelly at safety though but they might have some pieces come season end.

*Houston
WR: L. Bonner, S. Dunbar, D. King
With Kyle Allen at QB Bonner and Dunbar should not miss a beat, could argue they will be better utilized this year. Both had a great season last year showing good break away speed with size. Very hard tandem to deal with and one of the better ones in the country.

Last edited by Ozzy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
gohogs14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:

*Arkansas
DB: R. Pulley, J. Liddell, S. Ramirez, H. Toliver
Are all very experienced and this year is time for them to use that experience and improve as a unit. Ramirez is a big hitter back there and Pulley has some potential I think as a cover man. They can tackle but that is not always good because they get beat, will see if they can improve this year.

A little surprised to see them on here but they should be pretty decent with a ton of experience. I really like Pulley. DeAndre Coley took Liddell's spot in the spring so he may not start. Would be nice if we could redshirt Chevin Calloway and Montaric Brown and have two studs waiting to take over in 2018.

I think our TE group has a lot of potential too but none of them have played much yet.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
He actually looked like he might have some potential in the spring game. He spent a lot of time at LT with the 2nd team OL.

Yeah I liked how Robinson looked in that game, was active and got a good solid push.

Bredeson should be much improved this year I feel as well. Sure a lot of it is projection but overall the OL could develop into a very solid group and have a lot of pieces who could fit in or work out. There are plenty of guys behind them to take their place it things do not work out in that development as well.
I was fairly surprised at how much space he was able to create in his pass set and how well he rooted against power. Of course, he got the advantage of mostly facing the 2nd team defense, but he was still impressive for a walk-on.

Bredeson should be a very good player. He did well for a true freshman offensive lineman last year. Settling down at one position while simply getting older, stronger, and more experienced should lead to a very good season. Michael Onwenu is encouraging as well. He got a little bit of playing time last year during some blowouts and of course during the spring game. He's got great power and moves better than you would expect from someone that size. He still needs to lose a little bit of that body fat because he still has issues vs speed though.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
1King

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
I don't think Michigan should be very high at this point, let alone #1. Cole is rock solid, but the rest of the line is filled with question marks. I trust Frey and Drevno, and there's talent, but every single player besides Cole is unproven (Bredeson started a lot, but struggled as freshman moving to a new position from the outside)

Also disagree on TE. Easy to trust a Harbaugh group, but losing Asiasi is huge because of his upside. Lot of talent, but so many questions.

Agreed here. OL has talent, but largely unproven, Newsome will be out this year recovering from injury. Other teams have just as much talent, but with fewer question marks. TE is in the conversation, but probably not the clear cut #1 with the Asiasi transfer.

Also, some of the guys listed for Michigan in groups have no place being there. Malzone is a non-factor and will probably end up transferring before his career is up. Dylan McCaffrey should be listed before him.

Lawrence Marshall has done nothing thus far to be included on this list, Aubrey Solomon should be listed above him. I'd look out for James Hudson too.

Glasgow is a S, not a LB. Rueben Jones isn't a factor at LB at this point. Furbush has too many questions as well.

Man, Bama is loaded at RB. Clear #1 unit there.

I have no idea who these potentially 4 or 5 solid starting tackles Michigan has. Bama and OSU should be above them at minimum.

Quote:
Maryland is generally an awful football school, and they may not be in the absolute top of anything, but they have to be pretty close at RB, where they have a really good stable of backs.

Ty Johnson
Lorenzo Harrison
Anthony McFarland
Tayon Fleet-Davis
Jake Funk

There's not 5 star guys in there, but they had a really good running game that should improve even more with McFarland.

Yeah, they deserve at least an honorable mention iyam. Not overly familiar with the bottom two, but the top 3 should be really, really good, especially in Walt Bell's offense.

Michigan's WR's will be on here sooner or later, they have a ton of talent there, just mostly inexperienced (TR SO or younger). Ditto DB.

Nice effort.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Ozzy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:

Agreed here. OL has talent, but largely unproven, Newsome will be out this year recovering from injury. Other teams have just as much talent, but with fewer question marks. TE is in the conversation, but probably not the clear cut #1 with the Asiasi transfer.

Also, some of the guys listed for Michigan in groups have no place being there. Malzone is a non-factor and will probably end up transferring before his career is up. Dylan McCaffrey should be listed before him.

Lawrence Marshall has done nothing thus far to be included on this list, Aubrey Solomon should be listed above him. I'd look out for James Hudson too.

Glasgow is a S, not a LB. Rueben Jones isn't a factor at LB at this point. Furbush has too many questions as well.

Man, Bama is loaded at RB. Clear #1 unit there.

I have no idea who these potentially 4 or 5 solid starting tackles Michigan has. Bama and OSU should be above them at minimum.
Glasgow might take over the Peppers position as a the "viper". Either him or Hudson who I forgot to include with their LB group, also a good player. Yes Furbush and Jones have question marks and lack production but also lack playing time. I think they both have potential, athletic ability and talent, just a matter of showing up come game day. I think they will.

The only team that has more potential tackles is Alabama and even they do not have 5 of them, they got Williams, Womack and Leatherwood potentially but Womack is still a question if he will play tackle or be a guard, same with Warmack as well who I think is more a guard also.

The potential five starting OTs Cole, Robinson, Newsome, Bushell-Beatty and Runyan. And you guys talk like Newsome is dead or something, he is still a football prospect and a very talented player when he returns off injury. Not in regards to this season but the kid is still a talent and should be considered, and they have Stephen Spanellis as a potential guard also. If the offensive line was just three players, there are many three man groups better than Michigan. But you take all five starters and the quality backups and depth of the unit, I think that potential depth puts Michigan over the edge.

Sure putting them #1 might be a little much to some, but again it is on projection and depth. I think they have the best collection of depth and combination of potential compared to other offensive lines. Now that talent and depth eventually has to play out, same with tight ends and one or two of the prospects take hold and become the man at that spot. But with all that depth at both TE and OL, odds are there will be plenty of potential hits with that much talent around. However if no one improves or gets any better and develops, yeah both groups will be just average but I doubt there will be zero development and prospect growth with all of the TEs or OLs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: