You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Top Position Cores in College Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing OP is a humongous Gator fan. According to you they have a top core at every offensive position yet they are poised to be 1 of the worst offenses in their conference if not the nation
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryland is generally an awful football school, and they may not be in the absolute top of anything, but they have to be pretty close at RB, where they have a really good stable of backs.

Ty Johnson
Lorenzo Harrison
Anthony McFarland
Tayon Fleet-Davis
Jake Funk

There's not 5 star guys in there, but they had a really good running game that should improve even more with McFarland.

Thanks, Tzimisce
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
I'm guessing OP is a humongous Gator fan. According to you they have a top core at every offensive position yet they are poised to be 1 of the worst offenses in their conference if not the nation

They have good players on offense. Calloway, Ivey, Goolsby, Scarlett, etc are some of the better players at their position in CFB.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

They have good players on offense. Calloway, Ivey, Goolsby, Scarlett, etc are some of the better players at their position in CFB.

Yep. If UF gets the QB position ironed out, it should actually have a really good offense. However, that's a huge "if."

UF has a really nice group of HBs led by Jordan Scarlett. He'll play in the NFL.(right now, I'd say he's a 3rd to 5th round talent) UF has a promising group of WRs and TEs led by one of the best offensive players in the nation, Antonio Callaway. UF's OL is experienced and has at least a couple of NFL prospects on it (Ivey and Taylor).

It's one of the more talented offenses in the NCAA on paper if one of the QBs steps up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

Yep. If UF gets the QB position ironed out, it should actually have a really good offense. However, that's a huge "if."

UF has a really nice group of HBs led by Jordan Scarlett. He'll play in the NFL.(right now, I'd say he's a 3rd to 5th round talent) UF has a promising group of WRs and TEs led by one of the best offensive players in the nation, Antonio Callaway. UF's OL is experienced and has at least a couple of NFL prospects on it (Ivey and Taylor).

It's one of the more talented offenses in the NCAA on paper if one of the QBs steps up.

If they are as talented as you say at every position even with the worst coaching and QB in the universe they would at least be average. I think you're overrating them based on star rankings or something.
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
I think you're overrating them based on star rankings or something.

How many more people have to disagree with you before you consider that you could be wrong.
Ozzy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalCowboyzRule wrote:

You clearly haven't watched Keke Coutee who is basically a faster and stronger Giles. Way more explosive.

We have 2 senior starters on the outside in Dylan Cantrell and Derrick Willies. Both 6'3"+, both can go up and get it. Cantrell has had okay production but will blow up this year as our #1. Willies is a 4.40 guy, he was just hurt all of last year after coming over as a 4* signee from a JUCO college.

Then our other slot receiver is senior Cameron Batson who is also our PR. Small and shifty type, but reliable. 60 catches last year playing as part of a rotation at IR.

We also have good, mostly unproven, but very talented depth in Quan Shorts, TJ Vasher (6'6, former 4*), Antoine Wesley (6'5), Zach Austin and FR Xavier Martin who is moving from QB to WR and is super athletic (think Trevone Boykin).
So Coutee is faster, stronger and more explosive than Giles being basically the same height, weight and age. Yet Giles was more productive, why would that be if Coutee was so great, why did Coutee not have more catches, yards and TDs?

Will see how those Texas Tech receivers do, but honestly not all that excited about them. And yes a lot of that is because of that system which inflates their ability.

But yes if you are going on just numbers and stats of returning receivers they have a lot of guys "technically", just not sure they are actual NFL prospects just yet.

Quote:

LuckIsGOAT
Like some others have already said, the Gators have a lot of talent offensively.

They have one of the best offensive lineman in the nation with Ivey, kid is a beast at guard and would not be surprised to see him to really well at tackle this year. And Taylor is a potential star tackle I feel, huge kid and good looking athlete. Scarlett is one of the most physical running backs in college football and Perine is a fine #2 back with a lot of potential, and Thompson has some good ability as well. And like it was already said, the TE group is easily one of the best in the nation. Lewis should really breakout this year and Knight could be a sleeper at that spot potentially as well. The WR core is very solid, Cleveland I think could breakout this year, he has a lot of ability and Callaway is easily one of the best receivers in the nation and if healthy could be a lock 1st round pick.

And again like others have said, if the QBs hit, most likely Franks or Zaire they will be fine. Sure they are not statistically great but this is about potential NFL talent not just putting up stats offensively. Sure other offenses might look better statistically, but they do not have near the next level talent Florida has. Yes Florida has underachieved offensively but so did LSU a few years back and even did last year arguably with a lot of NFL talent on that offensive roster. Yeah poor QB play hurts everything offensively and how one can move the football. The inside OL does have to improve and some they need a third and forth receiver to develop.

Quote:
broncos67
Maryland is generally an awful football school, and they may not be in the absolute top of anything, but they have to be pretty close at RB, where they have a really good stable of backs.

Ty Johnson
Lorenzo Harrison
Anthony McFarland
Tayon Fleet-Davis
Jake Funk

There's not 5 star guys in there, but they had a really good running game that should improve even more with McFarland.
Will see how they do with the new guys coming in, but I would be pretty surprised to see them dominate running the ball. Ty Johnson did some impressive things last year and is worth a watch but sledding will be a lot harder this year potentially. They have a lot ways to go to have a great stable of backs I feel.
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:

Quote:

LuckIsGOAT
Like some others have already said, the Gators have a lot of talent offensively.

They have one of the best offensive lineman in the nation with Ivey, kid is a beast at guard and would not be surprised to see him to really well at tackle this year. And Taylor is a potential star tackle I feel, huge kid and good looking athlete. Scarlett is one of the most physical running backs in college football and Perine is a fine #2 back with a lot of potential, and Thompson has some good ability as well. And like it was already said, the TE group is easily one of the best in the nation. Lewis should really breakout this year and Knight could be a sleeper at that spot potentially as well. The WR core is very solid, Cleveland I think could breakout this year, he has a lot of ability and Callaway is easily one of the best receivers in the nation and if healthy could be a lock 1st round pick.

Yet it adds up to trash on the field. At some point shouldn't actually playing well matter.

Quote:
again like others have said, if the QBs hit, most likely Franks or Zaire they will be fine. Sure they are not statistically great but this is about potential NFL talent not just putting up stats offensively. Sure other offenses might look better statistically, but they do not have near the next level talent Florida has. Yes Florida has underachieved offensively but so did LSU a few years back and even did last year arguably with a lot of NFL talent on that offensive roster. Yeah poor QB play hurts everything offensively and how one can move the football. The inside OL does have to improve and some they need a third and forth receiver to develop.

You proved my point if they were as talented as LSU(although based on your description they are much more talented) and it was just all time bad QB and Coach they would be at least average(like LSU) not trash.
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
smokeybandit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saquon Barkley gets all the attention, but Penn State does have a five-star and a four-star RB backing him up as well as a little Darren Sproles-type
Ozzy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:

You proved my point if they were as talented as LSU(although based on your description they are much more talented) and it was just all time bad QB and Coach they would be at least average(like LSU) not trash.

So Ivey, Callaway, Scarlett and possibly Taylor and Lewis are not great prospects how? And how exactly does Florida does not very solid depth? Go ahead and find all these rosters with so far superior offensive depth and talent than Florida who is no the best but up there for sure.

So Texas Tech, Tulsa, Toledo, La Tech, Baylor and Western Kentucky have elite offensive NFL potential talent and depth because they score a lot of points? No.

And who evaluates players based on recruiting star rankings coming out of high school anyway? Based on that logic Kahlil McKenzie is a top 10 pick, Bryon Cowart is one of the best defensive ends in the nation, Preston Williams is one of the best receivers in the country and Osa Masina is one of the best linebackers and Roc Thomas is a 1st round talent as well, much less Speedy Noil of late was a 1st round prospect at receiver. Honestly none of this list was based on recruiting stars out of high school, sorry. It was based on what I saw from them already last year or what they have shown in spring game live scrimmages if they have not got a lot of college playing time yet.

Quote:
smokeybandit
Saquon Barkley gets all the attention, but Penn State does have a five-star and a four-star RB backing him up as well as a little Darren Sproles-type

Yes Miles Sanders is very interesting as a talent, still with Barkley if he can stay healthy give him the ball as much as possible I would say. Sure spell him some but no need to do a full three back rotation with a talent like Barkley who is gone after this season most likely. Will see if they split time, but if they did not do it last year do not see why they would this year with like a 60%-40% split in carries or something.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiting rankings are fairly good predictors. There are about 32 5*s a year, 300 4*s, and more than a thousand 3*s, on top of thousands of walk-ons and 2*s. So of course there are going to be outliers, but a 5* is so much more likely to make it to the NFL.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So Texas Tech, Tulsa, Toledo, La Tech, Baylor and Western Kentucky have elite offensive NFL potential talent and depth because they score a lot of points? No.

They've got more potential NFL talent than teams who score points like Florida such as Miami(Ohio) and Tulane

Ozzy wrote:
It was based on what I saw from them already last year or what they have shown in spring game live scrimmages if they have not got a lot of college playing time yet.

Which is what makes me think you're a the biggest Florida Gator homer in the universe. For you to find so much positives from an offense that did virtually nothing positive is pretty astounding. Just for comparisons sake I would like to see another example of team as talented offensively as Florida(4-5 draft picks starting) thats ranked in the hundreds in both scoring and total offense
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Which is what makes me think you're a the biggest Florida Gator homer in the universe.

You're the most annoying troll on this website.
Ozzy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

IDOG_det

He actually looked like he might have some potential in the spring game. He spent a lot of time at LT with the 2nd team OL.

Yeah I liked how Robinson looked in that game, was active and got a good solid push.

Bredeson should be much improved this year I feel as well. Sure a lot of it is projection but overall the OL could develop into a very solid group and have a lot of pieces who could fit in or work out. There are plenty of guys behind them to take their place it things do not work out in that development as well.

Quote:

LuckIsGOAT

They've got more potential NFL talent than teams who score points like Florida such as Miami(Ohio) and Tulane

Which is what makes me think you're a the biggest Florida Gator homer in the universe. For you to find so much positives from an offense that did virtually nothing positive is pretty astounding. Just for comparisons sake I would like to see another example of team as talented offensively as Florida(4-5 draft picks starting) thats ranked in the hundreds in both scoring and total offense
Not sure why you are not naming all this NFL talent on these teams yourself, make me do all the work I see? Or you have no idea and just hate Florida and are trying to prove your point. Also apparently you do not know what a ball control offense is that plays offense to help out the defense which is consistently one of the best in the nation. Longer the offense has the ball, the less the defense is on the field and a few teams do that as well. Does not mean they have little to no NFL talent especially considering ball control offense is much more of a pro style and far more similar to a NFL offense. Aka... Alabama a few years back with Jim McElwain the OC, no real surprise he has brought that philosophy to Florida. It is a strategy overall and with back to back SEC title games when other teams were predicted preseason to beat them out, seems to be doing well for them. I do expect a lot of growth from that unit this year however, will see.

Here is how these teams ranked in total offense.

*Stanford ranked 103
Already mentioned the QBs they have K. Chryst, R. Burns, JK Costello. One needs to step up but they have all ability and potential. Love is a nice quick back and Scarlett has ability as well as a power back. Herbig is one of the best guards in the nation by far, Bright, Dreyer, Hall and Tucker all have ability at the OL and near season end could be one of the best OLs in the nation potentially. Schultz I expect to have a breakout year at TE, good looking prospect with others behind him. Be interesting how Arcega-Whiteside does this year at WR and Irwin should be much improved. Not a great offense but they have some players of interest and depth especially at OL.

*South Carolina ranked 115
Jake Bentley has promise as QB, DJ Park is a decent talent at OT and has a chance at the next level, Bailey is a solid player Knott is a solid center and moves well. Hayden Hurst a very productive TE and some have him preseason 1st team all SEC. Deebo Samuel and Bryan Edwards are one of the best WR combos in the nation and have a ton of upside, should be even better this year, both very strong and have great hands. Rico Dowdle and AJ Turner had solid years last season. And that is considering Brandon McIlwain transfered out and is no longer on the team as did Lorenzo Nunez, both had good athletic upside and talent.

*Nebraska 88
I like the backs with Ozigbo and Bryant should really breakout this year. Gates is a damn good tackle and could really move up draft boards this year. Really like Knevel as well, lot of ability and upside at the other OT. Will see what TE breaks out, they have a few of interest. WR is solid with Morgan and Pierson-El, two very good pass catchers for sure. Spielman and Keyshawn Johnson Jr could show potential as well this season. QB it still a question but Lee did some nice things at Tulane and O'Brien is a very talented freshman who could win the job as well.

*Minnesota ranked 107
Already mentioned the backs with S. Brooks, R. Smith, K. McCrary, and Femi-Cole. They are very deep and should be quite good this year, Smith and Brooks both really run hard and well. Wozniak is a huge TE and has potential at the next level. R. Still is a big kid and should do much better in this pass friendly offense, and Ty Johnson has some great quicks and hands, can make you miss.. The OL has some guys with Wright and especially D. Greene at tackle, huge kid that really moves well I think. Calhoun also has some talent on the other side. Nick Connelly could break out as well this year on the OL. And that is with Tyler Moore transfering, one of the best underclassmen centers in the nation.

*Wisconsin 89
Will see how stands out at RB, Shaw or Deal, both have ability to breakout this year. Hornibrook not a huge fan of but was impressive at time last year and was super accurate under tough pressure at times. Ramesh is a FB to watch out for and the OL obviously has talent and could work into being one of the best OL groups at season end. Really like Dietzen could be the best of the group, Kapoi is powerful as well inside. Will see if a OT can standout like Van Lanen or Maxwell. Benzschawel has a lot of ability but I would like to see some more from him. Fumagalli is one of the best TEs in the nation by farm I think, at WR they are not great but Peavy has his moments.

Can clearly see Florida has more talent than each of them offensively, but each has some players to pay attention to. And of course Stanford and Wisconsin have potential OLs that could become some of the best in the nation with some player development and improvement this year.

And would love to know all this talent on these teams Texas Tech, Tulsa, Toledo, La Tech, Baylor and Western Kentucky...not named Mike White, Cody Thompson, Gewhite Stallworth, Brandon Ray, Jarred Craft, Terence Williams, Mo Porter and D'Angelo Brewer, oh and Jalen Hurd but he cannot play on Baylor this year. Note these are obviously all of the teams combined together, sure missed a few guys but honestly each roster would struggle to find 3-5 NFL prospects on offense alone unlike Florida.

Quote:
JammerHammer21
Recruiting rankings are fairly good predictors. There are about 32 5*s a year, 300 4*s, and more than a thousand 3*s, on top of thousands of walk-ons and 2*s. So of course there are going to be outliers, but a 5* is so much more likely to make it to the NFL.
Sure some like them, but I do not follow it and pencil it is instantly, oh this is a 5 star guy he is an instant NFL prospect and put him on my list. I need to see them and watch them, see how they perform. It is interesting to see what teams get the top guys but again I wait to see some performance in game action spring or season. See how they move against equal to greater talent in college.
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
Quote:

LuckIsGOAT

Not sure why you are not naming all this NFL talent on these teams yourself, make me do all the work I see? Or you have no idea and just hate Florida and are trying to prove your point. Also apparently you do not know what a ball control offense is that plays offense to help out the defense which is consistently one of the best in the nation. Longer the offense has the ball, the less the defense is on the field and a few teams do that as well. Does not mean they have little to no NFL talent especially considering ball control offense is much more of a pro style and far more similar to a NFL offense. Aka... Alabama a few years back with Jim McElwain the OC, no real surprise he has brought that philosophy to Florida. It is a strategy overall and with back to back SEC title games when other teams were predicted preseason to beat them out, seems to be doing well for them. I do expect a lot of growth from that unit this year however, will see.

Shocked Ball control? Florida's offense last year was ranked 90th in turnovers lost tied with teams like Akron and New Mexico State. You think the strategy of not moving the ball, not scoring points and turning the ball over is working for them?

Again I'm not saying they need to be a high flying offense to have talented offensive players, I don't even think they need to be good offensively, but they can't be absolute trash which is what Florida's offense is.
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: